AirTran announces BOS/IAD & JBL trumps it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
180ToTheMarker said:
I'll take the 717 over that Jungle Jet any day!
.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D

I agree...YAWN! Theres plenty of business for both. Maybe we need to come back at $10 introductory fare! or start Jan 1st!

You act as if nobody can compete with Jetblue. Airtran can compete with Jetblue, I dont think our guys are too worried.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/10/25jetblue.html

"In 2003, the airline (JetBlue) jumped into Delta Air Lines Inc.'s huge Atlanta hub with the market's first West Coast flights by a discount airline. JetBlue offered tickets as low as $174 for a round-trip flight to Long Beach, Calif., and the walk-up fare dropped to less than half the typical $2,000-plus.
Delta matched JetBlue's prices, added flights and gave customers triple credit for frequent flier miles. Discounter AirTran Airways leased long-range aircraft and entered the fray. JetBlue says Atlanta was a classic opportunity market, with high fares and little competition, that got too competitive to make money. Critics called it a classic case of arrogance. Either way, JetBlue left after six months.
The airline also has struggled with staying on schedule. Once among the most punctual carriers, JetBlue ranked 16th among the top 20 airlines for the year that ended in August."

Airtran and Jetblue are in the same arena, competing against the same demons, it appears childish and arrogant to get excited over the squashing of other airlines routes and other pilots careers (Independence).

Jetblue is not invincible, neither is Airtran. Have some humility.

Last edited:
IIRC even Joe said that the fare levels on the ATL- West Coast were unsustainable, so I for one is happy jetblue left.

Lowcur, your IAD-BOS prediction assumes critical yet missing information. What are the expected yields from this market?

Yes, both Airtran and Jetblue will heavily advertise their most competitive fare, but be guaranteed that there will not be many of those seats available at that price on any given flight.

However both carriers need to advertise heavily in the Boston market to assure consumer awareness.

But then again, my business degree is well nigh 24 years old now, and my crystal ball faded long ago...;)

(And get your minds out of the gutter, boys. :0 )

RIDETHELIGHTING said:
I guess you’re proud of the RJ rates you negotiated too, oh I forgot you were told what your rates would be.

Here we go again.....I'm not a JetBlue pilot, and don't even have a burning desire to be, but you guys need to chill out about their payrates. When the grocer down the street sells steaks at 3 bucks a pound less than normal, do you bawl him out? The futility of you arguing against jb's payrates is ridiculous. The 'system' (airline pilot jobs) support the pay, and will continue to for a while. You need to worry about your own ass, and not the supposed ramifications on your paycheck. You cannot prove a correlation, and even if you could, it would be pointless.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back