AirTran announces BOS/IAD & JBL trumps it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eagleflip said:
Lowcur, your IAD-BOS prediction assumes critical yet missing information. What are the expected yields from this market? Projected yields must be good, otherwise you wouldn't have two carriers marking their territory. Imagine, Joe Leonard doing business in a market without a subsidy? Just that alone should tell you something.

Yes, both Airtran and Jetblue will heavily advertise their most competitive fare, but be guaranteed that there will not be many of those seats available at that price on any given flight. Smart business.

However both carriers need to advertise heavily in the Boston market to assure consumer awareness.

But then again, my business degree is well nigh 24 years old now, and my crystal ball faded long ago...;)

(And get your minds out of the gutter, boys. :0 )
The 717 is no match against Jetblue's 190 with IFE. Mark my words, Joe & Bob will leave with their tails between their legs.

Last edited:
lowecur said:
The 717 is no match for against Jetblue's 190 with IFE. Mark my words, Joe & Bob will leave with their tails between their legs.

Given your track record my money is on the broken clock in my basement.

Airtran Fanatic said:
You act as if nobody can compete with Jetblue. Airtran can compete with Jetblue, I dont think our guys are too worried.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/10/25jetblue.html

"In 2003, the airline (JetBlue) jumped into Delta Air Lines Inc.'s huge Atlanta hub with the market's first West Coast flights by a discount airline. JetBlue offered tickets as low as $174 for a round-trip flight to Long Beach, Calif., and the walk-up fare dropped to less than half the typical $2,000-plus.
Delta matched JetBlue's prices, added flights and gave customers triple credit for frequent flier miles. Discounter AirTran Airways leased long-range aircraft and entered the fray. JetBlue says Atlanta was a classic opportunity market, with high fares and little competition, that got too competitive to make money. Critics called it a classic case of arrogance. Either way, JetBlue left after six months.
The airline also has struggled with staying on schedule. Once among the most punctual carriers, JetBlue ranked 16th among the top 20 airlines for the year that ended in August."

Airtran and Jetblue are in the same arena, competing against the same demons, it appears childish and arrogant to get excited over the squashing of other airlines routes and other pilots careers (Independence).

Jetblue is not invincible, neither is Airtran. Have some humility.

In JB's defense, how could they have known that Airtran would hire another airline (and the pilots would allow it) to come in and do the west coast flying. ? The dynamics of that perticular market changed and JB decided there was more money to be made elsewhere.

Hey Airtran Fanatic get over it. All we are is a airline full of scabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we get no respect, because we all here at Airtran, stab each other in the back!!!!

Hair-on-Fire said:
In JB's defense, how could they have known that Airtran would hire another airline (and the pilots would allow it) to come in and do the west coast flying. ? The dynamics of that perticular market changed and JB decided there was more money to be made elsewhere.

Acutally the higher-ups at JB knew about the Airtran/Ryan contract. They entered into the market prior to Airtran entering the LA market (by about a month) to beat us to the punch (I guess they are trying to repeat on history in BOS).

And as far as making more $$ elsewhere...that wouldn't be hard to do considering their load factors/yields out of ATL were pretty poor. Just why they were poor...well I'll let you figure it out.

Aloha

Citrusflyer said:
Acutally the higher-ups at JB knew about the Airtran/Ryan contract. They entered into the market prior to Airtran entering the LA market (by about a month) to beat us to the punch (I guess they are trying to repeat on history in BOS).

And as far as making more $$ elsewhere...that wouldn't be hard to do considering their load factors/yields out of ATL were pretty poor. Just why they were poor...well I'll let you figure it out.

Aloha

I think you will find it was done in response to "Song" flying into JFK, a sort of "up yours" if you like, never thought to be long term, at least not then...

cl65capt said:
Given your track record my money is on the broken clock in my basement.
Is that the one Ty sold you for $600? You must have procured for the Pentagon before going Civilian.

Have you ever been on a E190?

Not to make waves, but have you ever seen a E190 let alone been on one.
Here are some Quick facts. 14' longer and 9' wider that a 737-300,500. with no middle seat. 15' longer and 12'wider than a B717 with no middle seats. Fuel cost is 1/3+ less than a B717 with a hand full less seats. 4.5" wider in the seat with 28.5" recline. 8.5" TV sets with36 channels and full XM radio. The lease price is 3/4 the price of Airtran's B717. All $ info can be found on Wallstreetcity.com being that airliner are public. There is a reason that EMB is booked solid for 19 months and possibly 36 months if JB opts for another 100 E190s. NWA and USAir are chomping at the bit for these planes, because they are proven $ makers in this rotten industry. Personally I could care less, but this is why I bought a significant amount of JB stock in OCT. P.S. it just split 3/2 and I have prepaid my daughters first 2 years of college with the winnings.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back