• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran: 717 Vs 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget gang, they can TA anything they want... big difference between a TA and actually ratifying a contract. The guy thats in charge of negotiations now is the same guy that gave us a sh1t TA 7 years ago and tried to get the pilot group to buy off on it. Thankfully we didn't. Not that the contract we're working under now is great but when the original TA was defeated by an overwhelming majority and send back to the drawing board, the union and the company got the message.

I agree with a few here, I fully expect that a TA will be presented to the pilot group by June or July, and I fully expect it to be rejected again by a large margin.

Unless this thing brings us to a level at or near SWA work rules, I ain't agreeing to it.

I agree with a few here, I fully expect that a TA will be presented to the pilot group by June or July, and I fully expect it to be rejected again by a large margin.

Well I would certainly hope so (re: rejection)! I watched the DVD and was so pi$$ed afterwards I broke it in half and threw it in the trash. The proposed rates were absurd - and this was the union's OPENING salvo! Nowhere to go but down from there.....sigh.

Well I would certainly hope so (re: rejection)! I watched the DVD and was so pi$$ed afterwards I broke it in half and threw it in the trash. The proposed rates were absurd - and this was the union's OPENING salvo! Nowhere to go but down from there.....sigh.

Well, combine it with the dough yer still milkin from the govmint titty, it prob aint half bad.

Which, really, isn't the point at all.

But thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

What we do on the side (Guard/Reserve, Real Estate, AMWAY, Texas Hold-em, etc) should have absolutely 0 to do with the next contract we get.

GO STEELERS!

Don't forget gang, they can TA anything they want... big difference between a TA and actually ratifying a contract. The guy thats in charge of negotiations now is the same guy that gave us a sh1t TA 7 years ago and tried to get the pilot group to buy off on it. Thankfully we didn't. Not that the contract we're working under now is great but when the original TA was defeated by an overwhelming majority and send back to the drawing board, the union and the company got the message.

Unless this thing brings us to a level at or near SWA work rules, I ain't agreeing to it.

I remember that well. Voted down by 87%. I was extremely vocal about voting down the first TA. I voted no for the current contract as well.

The big difference this time is he has a lot of outside help. Different "expert advisors" for most sections. Seth Rosen has been doing this back when I was crapping my pampers.

Your comment about SWA is dead on. Management asked for a 2 year extension when this contract became amendable. The pilots said NO, and they took it anyway. And we let them. But that's a topic for another thread.

Oh yeah, 717 vs 737.

I love the 717. The 737 holds way too much gas as far as I'm concerned. Transcons?, no thanks, I'd rather fly north/south in and out of Florida. Three 2hr legs per day is what I've been doing for months now. No red eyes, but there are standups. Lots of automation to keep you out of trouble and it can autoland with an engine shut down with 15kts of crosswind at 600RVR.

Last edited:
Just curious about your 737NG's, are they similar to SWA's with a six-pack on your displays, or do you guys use speed tape/altitude tape? We fly 737-700 at AQ on ETOPS flights and our setup/automation is very similar to 767-400 and 777.

I fly the 717 but sometimes commute on the 737 to work. The consensus is that you can still get more days off and more credit on the 717. The 717 Captains/FOs who have transitioned to be 737 Captains initially did not like the 737 but now prefer it over the 717. On paper, the layover cities on the 737 appear to better but can't speak from experience since the 717 stays north/south and predominantly east of the Mississippi. I just got done with a 4 day trip with a couple 4 leg days and had two consecutive days with layovers less than 11 hours on the 717. That is a little too short and too much flying for me. I don't buy into the theory that the 717 will totally become the junior airplane. There's been some movement of 717 Captains to the 737 but it's been predominantly junior Captains after their seat lock is up. In regard to upgrade times, it's pretty much up in the air due to contract negotiations, aircraft deliveries, and the merger.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back