Airtran: 717 Vs 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying-Corporal

It seems most people prefer 737 over 717 at Airtran. Is the life really better on the 737 side even though there are twice as many 717s compared to 737s?

I would assume 717 is better just by the fact that that there are more destinations on it.

I would give you the "Doctor Perry Cox (from tv's Scrubs)" answer, but I'm too nice. I suppose the reason would be that "life on reserve" for the 737 is (currently) shorter (only spent 2 mo's on reserve and 2 months on build up lines). It was a little longer on the 717 for other '06 hires. I'm sure that will change as time goes on. However current reserve rules are in you favor, especially if you don't commute.

Your assumption that the 717 is better due to more destinations is not accurate, in my humble opinion (partly because the destinations are all blending together anyway). However, if you like shorter flights and trips (although more legs) take the 717. If you want longer flights and trips (4 days seems the norm) take the 737.

Don't forget about San Diego, L.A., PHX and Vegas for the 737. I like the 737NG despite the avionics (thanks Herb K) but after 4,000 hours I'm in danger of becoming an institutionalized Boeing 73 guy anyway. I couldn't tell you anything about the 717.

do you have a class date?

If you are a commuter that lives in an AirTran city, pick the airplane that overnights in that city. One more night at home. Otherwise one or two months difference on reserve really makes no difference in a 15-20 yr career. If you stay that long you will eventually fly the 73 guaranteed. Why not spend a few years on the 71. Variety is the spice of life. Both are great airplanes. You can't lose.

I flew the 717 for a couple of years and have recently upgraded on the 737. Here is my take for what it is worth. The 717 is a high tech bird mostly because they listened to pilots that wanted their lives simplified by automation. As mentioned before the 737 is mostly designed for SWA who wanted commonality with the old fleet. The 717's cockpit is much quieter and has a better layout for your flightbag. That being said I like to 737. It has plenty of power all the way to altitude, we reduce the reduced power on practically every flight. You store your carryons in the cockpit which is great for fast get aways as you dash to your commuter flight home. In todays world in much better to have 737 time as opposed to 717, you know , just in case.
Also the biggest difference I've noticed was the training department. The 717 program puts unneeded pressure, preaching doom and gloom. While the 737 program gets the job done just as well without the pressure cooker. Good luck I hope this helped.

My two cents:
I am on the 73, but with the upgrades going the way they are, I would have to upgrade on the 71 to upgrade at my first chance. Everyone seems to be jumping over to the 73, heck we even have fos jumping over seat lock and all. You may want to think of the starting on the airplane you will upgrade on to keep it an easy upgrade. I've been here over a year and have moved up only 26 numbers seniority on the 73 side because of the FOs jumping over. I've moved up seniority overall fairly well because of overall movement.

Otherwise one or two months difference on reserve really makes no difference in a 15-20 yr career.
It's more than one or two months. The 737 guys in my class didn't sit ONE DAY of reserve. I was on reserve for 7 months and still on buildup lines now on the 717.

It hasn't been terrible, but I'm one of those people who simply doesn't give a crap about the pay IF I can't be home to enjoy it, so I drop days off down to a 14 day off MINIMUM, preferably 16-18 days off and the company lets me, which is nice. :)

If you stay that long you will eventually fly the 73 guaranteed. Why not spend a few years on the 71. Variety is the spice of life. Both are great airplanes. You can't lose.
Assuming this company stays around? I'm hoping (and betting) it will, but I'm also going to bid over to the 737 at the earliest opportunity.

I may be crazy locking myself into the F/O seat another 2 years, but my upgrade is going to be 3 1/2 to 4 years ANYWAY, and the 737 experience will help if things go south suddenly and I find myself needing another job, even a Supplemental 121, 125, or ex-Pat work.

After being furloughed twice and having one carrier die, I'm a little pre-loaded to make sure I've covered my bases, keep my resume and logbook updated, and never become complacent.

God willing, I won't ever need to worry about it. :D

If you have a 5-digit employee number, you should definitely bid the 737 CA, or stay an F/O and enjoy the relative seniority. If you're a 717 CA, 75M and I hope that you bid over to the 737 as soon as you can.

Is anyone out there thinking of bidding from 737 F/O to 717 CA?

If you have a 5-digit employee number, you should definitely bid the 737 CA, or stay an F/O and enjoy the relative seniority. If you're a 717 CA, 75M and I hope that you bid over to the 737 as soon as you can.
I'm just happy to be here and all I want to do is help the team.

Is anyone out there thinking of bidding from 737 F/O to 717 CA?
Have fun with that one...

I'm just happy to be here and all I want to do is help the team.

Coach?
Seriously though, the 717 is an awesome airplane. Really enjoyed flying it. While the 37 is definitely more widely marketable, the 17 worked out for me since I was traded for cash and an 8th round draft choice to the Memphis Purples.

For those who think having 737-700/800 experience is going to make you more "marketable", keep one thing in mind: If you jump ship to SWA, FedEx, UPS or whomever, what is going to get you hired is that you have Part 121 Major airline experience flying large sophisticated jets. Whether the type rating says 737 or 717 is irrelevant. [Foreign contracts excluded]

If you want to have fun flying a state of the art fully automated aircraft...choose the 717.
If you want to be 10 years behind in technology...take the 737 and be sure to thank SWA for that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back