• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

airplane off runway in CLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1/4 mile vis? Does anyone have any charts handy? What are the mins to shoot the approach? 6000 ft is kind of short to be a CAT 2/3 runway. Also, does the 170 have autobrakes/autoland? Just wondering.

its a cat I runway, and this notam was active:

!FDC 7/3107 (KCLE A0785/07) CLE FI/T CLEVELAND-HOPKINS INTL, CLEVELAND, OH. ILS RWY 28, AMDT 22.... DUE TO EFFECTS OF SNOW ON THE GLIDE SLOPE MINIMUMS TEMPORARILY RAISED TO LOCALIZER ONLY FOR ALL CATEGORY AIRCRAFT. GLIDE SLOPE REMAINS IN SERVICE. HOWEVER, ANGLE MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN PUBLISHED.

yesterday we were all getting cleared for the "ILS 28 No glideslope"

not mon morning qbing but - on the 170 when you add gust factor plus ice speeds with high landing weight you get Vapp speeds approaching 150kts. That can be a real bitch when your down to around a 5000ft runway left for rollout.

in these situations (many speed additives) it is wise to go with flaps full landing - you decrease Vapp and ref by 10 kts. -10kts at 70000lb landing weight helps, remember momentum(or energy you need to dissapate on landing) increases with the square of velocity.

Yeah....ummm....what he said.

I was going into CLE when this happened. We ended up diverting since they shut the airport down. There is one very important aspect of this no one has mentioned. The atis was calling for ILS 28 approach 1/4 mile vis + sn broken 600 ft. But in the notams it said GLIDESLOPE Unusable do to snow buildup. So as far as i know they were only doing LOC approaches into 28. We were inbound from Canada and read that and realized we were probably not going to get in on the LOC especially on 28 and then Center told us the airport was closed because of an incident. Just thought i would through that out there about the Glide slope out and also the papi was unusable also because of snow buildup I am glad everyone is ok, this could have been alot worse.

Yea it turns out that the lake effect snow we had here yesterday was indeed coming off of lake Huron, not Erie as it is indeed about 99% frozen over, absolutely amazing.

It's unfortunate that they were running the loc only into 28 in those conditions. That's a recipe for, well, exactly what happened. Glad no one was seriously hurt. As someone mentioned earlier, just another 100 feet further and the aircraft plummets down about a 100 foot cliff into the Metorpark and the Rocky River. The next time you land on 10 in CLE look below you on very short final, scary!

FI's top ten list of reasons why the regional jet went off the runway:

10) FO was busy frosting his hair on final.

9) Crew was not dressed properly (left hats at home).

8) Crew was distracted by ipod video's, didn't see runway coming.

7) Crew was underpaid.

6) Republicans' fault.

5) Hilary's fault.

4) Jet Blue's fault.

3) Mesa's fault

2) Leather crew jackets.

Annnnnnd, Number 1):

SJS!!!

You are so right!

ATIS is always overriding factor. Until it has been changed that is what is legal to the FAA and NTSB. The rest is hearsay.

Incorrect. That is why aircraft and ATC transmissions are recorded and saved.

If you go your whole career and nothing like this happens you can say wow I was one lucky sob. Otherwise, like somone else said, this can happen to anyone of us on any given day.

Yea it turns out that the lake effect snow we had here yesterday was indeed coming off of lake Huron, not Erie as it is indeed about 99% frozen over, absolutely amazing.

What? When was the last time lake effect snow reversed course, went SW and nailed Cleveland from Lake Huron?

What? When was the last time lake effect snow reversed course, went SW and nailed Cleveland from Lake Huron?

Probably about the same time you took Great Lakes geography. ;) Huron is straight north of CLE, Lake Ontario is northeast.

Just curious...what are the visibility requirements for the localizer approach for 28?

Latest resources

Back