Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
microbrewst said:
USMCAirWinger said:
what's your experience? if i remember right you wanted to go to cape air? thats not a typical path for a military guy.

As far as Cape Air, I did a while back. I have done two years at a regional and I'm now undergoing training to fly F-16 for the ANG. That's not counting my background in helos with the Marines.

You dudes are the ones that started bragging as to how great you think you are. The only reason I'm giving you my background is because you asked. Look at my profile... you cannot tell what my background is other than my screen name.

I will admit that it took a lot of boredom from my part to even stumble on this thread.

The best pilots are individuals from all cross-sections. However, if you must look at group and label them that, what are the qualifiers? I can tell you that getting a job at a regional or a 135 piston place doesn't take a lot. I have done both. The military on the other hand is one tough cookie to get into and be succesful at.

You guys continue your kool aid drinking.

aussiefly said:
Hey everyone,

Quick question. How long is the upgrade currently running at airnet. By upgrade I mean into the left seat of the lear. And what is captain pay like and how do you guys find the QOL of night freight flying.

Reason I ask is i'm looking at future options and don't really want to get stuck at a regional for 5 plus years. I think i'd much rather progress into a lear position and spend some time there before looking at other career options.

Any advice appreciated.
Your future options lie here, my man...

http://www.jetmag.com/assembled/home.html

C-141/C-5 said:
Why are people on this thread talking about flying at night like it's some challenge??? If they really believe what they're saying I don't want them in the sky with me because they are obviously lacking in simple flying basics.

FMS is a Flight Management System
GPS is a Global Positioning System
HOW CAN YOU SAY IT"S LIKE A FANCY GPS??? The FMS does multiple things(TOLD,Flight plans, Progress, Drift,ETC) and might use the GPS as a component(your so called form of navigation), but in no way is the GPS a FMS

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU POST

ONE MORE THING! MACHOISM GETS PEOPLE KILLED! I've flown all over the world: night, day, sand storms, T-storms, snow storms, missle storms, ETC. I think you get my point. Why not have the gadgets to make you more situational aware?, why not use the autopilot when your flying at the 23rd hour of your 24 hour day? USE ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT TO THE FULLEST! But stay proficient with your hands

Answers to colors below...

Green...huh, I don't think anyone said anything about night being a challenge, i think it was said that the conditions flown in were the challenge. Their simple flying basics are much more complex than most other aviation jobs out there...including the military at times(quoted directly from a military KC-135 driver in my Initial class at my current carrier by the way). By the way, the previous statements were directed at ALL freight pilots, not just Airnet.

Red...that's just funny...you must not have flown much with modern GPS systems during your tenure in the military...THEY ARE JUST LIKE FMS's. Out of everything you said the FMS does, the GPS systems do as well...well except for the TOLD data stuff(which some of the more expensive units will do if you program them right)...trust me, I have worked with modern GPS in my last job(sure guys they are basic units and need some improvements but still pretty good systmes) and i currently work with FMS flying the bus, and trust me they are the same minus a few things-->hence the "fancy" part of the statement. And my facts are straight, i believe i know the two systems pretty well, and overall it is as i said...sorry there chief..or whatever they may call you.

Now for the rest...sure situational awareness is good, hell actually it's GREAT, but it is not the systems that give it to you. Reliance on the "glass" environment will kill you just as fast. What happens when it all goes blank?? You say it will probably not happen...well, Airbus has had a problem with all of the PFD's and ND's going out in flight, they are still working, just not showing any data...then what do you do if you cannot get around without them as reliance will lead to. Situational awareness is knowing your environment, not relying on a TV screen to tell you what is supposedly out there.

Last edited:
USMCAirWinger said:
You should get your money back from whichever flight school you got your commercial from.

Don't you find it odd that all the airliners were avoiding the weather, and here comes the odd ball and land. I'm pretty sure you would have been even more impressed if the guy crashed...but wait its only him and some checks. It's quite different when you have 50-200 people in the back.

This right here is the difference that most people overlook when they label freight pilots as dangerous b/c they go through the sh!t that the airlines wont touch. ITS A DIFFERENT MISSION. My mission flying checks is to get the checks there. Not to get the checks there via the most comfortable route. If the checks get knocked around a bit, its ok, they're under the tarp. If the pax get knocked around a bit, its not ok, they are pax. just because the airlines won't go through certain wx doesn't make that wx dangerous. so when all the airliners were avoiding the weather and she (yes, that's a 5'3", 100# soaking wet GIRL! you are refering to) tightened up her seat belt and put that navajo down through the rain and the storms, she wasn't being unsafe. Her abilities allow her to do these things just as mine do and many of the others on this board. So next time the airlines are holding and the checks are still getting delivered, just understand its because they are flying that airplane for the pax and most likely the capt would love to shoot the approach and be done for the night, but would scare the sh!t outta the pax and lose his job - and we don't continue to deliver the checks because we're cowboys, lack judgement skills or have something to prove, we do it because its the job we signed up to do and know our limits well enough to understand the differnece between bad weather and dangerous weather. now if you'll excuse me, i have some piss samples to deliver to MDW.

Last edited:
Anyways obviously we have a lot of guys on this thread who were rejected by the military and are now bitter. Once again for the last time a GPS is not a FMS..... Second my profile isin't updated. All I hear are potential attitudes that can lead to accidents on this thread. I agree with you need to know the basics. I was just merely pointing out that all these airnet guys are bashing guys who fly glass and then say they are better pilots. Little do they realize they are talking about guys with 5 times the hours, mastered the basics of IFR flying, and are trusted by major companies to flying multi million dollar machines. I would also like to point out it's a whole lot easier flying IFR when you are going 150 Kts. At that speed it's kinda hard to fall behind the jet i mean prop for the Airnet guys.

Military dudes don't hate any other pilots, we just hate to hear 500tt guys say they are the best. Especially like someone like myself has gone through a major university to learn to fly and also flight instructed, then went to pilot training in the military and has seen the difference in precision flying and quality of professional pilots.

Why would anyone want to fly those French piece's of crap anyways?? LOL

This will be my last post concerning this topic. I feel like i'm getting stupider listening to you guys

The C-5 dosen't have glass all round dials. The C-141C had glass and it was obviously better IFR platform

Fly Safe

THE AIRNET GUYS ARENT SAYING THEY ARE THE BEST!! THE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, MR. C-141, ARE SAYING THE AIRNET GUYS ARE SAYING THEY ARE THE BEST!

I don't know where it comes from. People crap on freight dogs all day long and they are usually nothing but humble. The same can't be said for a lot of military and "major" airline pilots. Jackass.

C-141/C-5 said:
Anyways obviously we have a lot of guys on this thread who were rejected by the military and are now bitter. Once again for the last time a GPS is not a FMS..... Second my profile isin't updated. All I hear are potential attitudes that can lead to accidents on this thread. I agree with you need to know the basics. I was just merely pointing out that all these airnet guys are bashing guys who fly glass and then say they are better pilots. Little do they realize they are talking about guys with 5 times the hours, mastered the basics of IFR flying, and are trusted by major companies to flying multi million dollar machines. I would also like to point out it's a whole lot easier flying IFR when you are going 150 Kts. At that speed it's kinda hard to fall behind the jet i mean prop for the Airnet guys.

Military dudes don't hate any other pilots, we just hate to hear 500tt guys say they are the best. Especially like someone like myself has gone through a major university to learn to fly and also flight instructed, then went to pilot training in the military and has seen the difference in precision flying and quality of professional pilots.

Why would anyone want to fly those French piece's of crap anyways?? LOL

This will be my last post concerning this topic. I feel like i'm getting stupider listening to you guys

The C-5 dosen't have glass all round dials. The C-141C had glass and it was obviously better IFR platform

Fly Safe

You sir are a moron and why everybody has a bad impression of military pilots. I have met some great pilots in the military, and in the civilian world, and I've met the jerks like you in both areas also.

As far as flying 150 kts and being low time, right now I am...however some of the other posters on here from Airnet probably have triple the jet time you have....you are aware we fly Lears also, right? I think they go faster than 150 kts in IMC.

I have yet to read anybody say they were better than the guys flying glass...I'm sure there are quite a few people out there flying glass that have been freight dawgs, and I've heard from some of them flying the glass that it makes them lazy and they probably couldn't go back to steam gauges without a lot of re-training. They are two different ball games.

I'm glad you're in the cargo aviation branch, and don't have troops on the ground depending on you to get there, even though the wx went TU, while bullets are flying.

I don't see too many freight dawgs here with 500TT, and I'll bet I'm one of the lowest time guys in this section...about to hit 2000TT with 200+ actual in props. Did you know our Senior Lear guy has 25K+TT. Let me know when you meet the guy with 5 times the hours...we have quite a few senior guys, some might even be posting here.

Let me guess...Riddle grad? As an Alum of the school I hope not. I'm sick of defending the school because of people like you with the we are the best attitude and look down on "those freight dawgs". Please, for once tell me I am wrong and it's one of those other schools...please!!! College is over! You don't have to still have the macho image while telling us all we're "dangerous, Mav." Sorry you didn't get the fighters...don't take it out on us.

Good luck out there and fly safe. Happy Memorial day to all vets out there. PS: 9 years Active Duty Navy, former FC1 (SW) USN. No, I never applied to fly for the military and have much respect for the military guys out there flying when the mission requires. Same goes for the civilian guys/gals out there who fly every night in the worst of it because we are paid to "get 'er done".

Good day, Sir!

Let me guess...Riddle grad
no, he's not a riddle grad, he's an Ohio University grad. and since i went to school there, got my avaition degree, all the ratings, staff after graduation, the whole 9 yards...i feel qualified to say the school sucks and if given the choice, i wouldn't go there again. no one who has graduated in the last 5 years from OU should be talking about what a great "MAJOR" (btw, it is still isn't ecredited) school it is.

Latest resources

Back