• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok pro pilots:rolleyes:

Define anti ice.

Hint: baron 58s dont have anti ice.

What shade of green is a severe thunderstorm on a Bendix radar from 1975?

I'm to scared to know that one.

As for the stuff I've mentioned its only what they told me at the group interview. Anyplace where the chief pilot brags about getting hit by lightning and waking up (after passing out) at a group interview isn't a place anyone should work at.

Dude, you seriously don't have a clue. I guess that's why you are the "ice and coffee bitch," and likely will remain in that position. Airnet is some of the best flying out there, and they do it safely day in and day out (well mostly night).

I have all the respect in the world for my former freight brothers and sisters!

Oh yeah, the whole point of my post.. Washka's job is to try and talk YOU out of the job. We don't want weak pilots. And as for fatal accidents, yes there have been 4 (I think) and at least 3 were pilot error (1 wake, and 2 fell asleep). Those are the facts!

Bush... Have you ever seen a Baron 58? Because the one I fly have prop heat, windshield heat, and Boots on all leading edges. Sounds just like a Beech 1900.... oh yeah even the ATR have the same type of ice protection.... I don't know sounds just like it works pretty well. Have fun in the VFR!!!!!

Ok pro pilots:rolleyes:

Define anti ice.

Hint: baron 58s dont have anti ice.

What shade of green is a severe thunderstorm on a Bendix radar from 1975?

I'm to scared to know that one.

As for the stuff I've mentioned its only what they told me at the group interview. Anyplace where the chief pilot brags about getting hit by lightning and waking up (after passing out) at a group interview isn't a place anyone should work at.
Looks like captain and the boys did a good job weeding you out. Btw Craig isnt the chief pilot. Freight isn't for everyone. That doesn't mean freight pilots are some elite group. Flying old planes isn't for everyone. Just curious what is the type of job that are you looking for?

I think he is looking for a job that his only duties include pulling the gear and pushing the ident button! I don't think he is capable of making a pic decsion. Good Luck MR VFR.

Im sorry you had that experience. I partially agree with you at least on the CW issue. I have heard some things that I too think are BS. Dont assume the whole pilot group is like that though. What a great bunch of guys I work with. Ive made friends here that I will have for the rest of my life. The most modest/relaxed group of guys (and girls) that I have ever met.

Also about the planes. Best planes Ive flown. Better than the 10 year old cessnas I taught in. Yea there not pretty, but Ive never MEL'd anything or cancelled a flight for maintenance.

Our radars are good for picking out the real nasty ********************, IE shadows and holes. I have found that on the bad nights I just turn the stupid thing off and get help from ATC instead. Not flying towards areas with lots of lightning is pretty much the big rule for me.

Again, sorry you had a bad experience. Hopefully you find something that is up your alley. Freight aint for everyone. Its alot of work to do it on time, safely, and correctly all by yourself. Not saying you dont possess those qualities, but I can certainly see why it would be undesirable to many.

Im sorry you had that experience. I partially agree with you at least on the CW issue. I have heard some things that I too think are BS. Dont assume the whole pilot group is like that though. What a great bunch of guys I work with. Ive made friends here that I will have for the rest of my life. The most modest/relaxed group of guys (and girls) that I have ever met.

Also about the planes. Best planes Ive flown. Better than the 10 year old cessnas I taught in. Yea there not pretty, but Ive never MEL'd anything or cancelled a flight for maintenance.

Our radars are good for picking out the real nasty ********************, IE shadows and holes. I have found that on the bad nights I just turn the stupid thing off and get help from ATC instead. Not flying towards areas with lots of lightning is pretty much the big rule for me.

Again, sorry you had a bad experience. Hopefully you find something that is up your alley. Freight aint for everyone. Its alot of work to do it on time, safely, and correctly all by yourself. Not saying you dont possess those qualities, but I can certainly see why it would be undesirable to many.

You continue to terrify me.

One of my friends who I instructed with used to tell me about doing that with Ameriflight. He would ask the Southwest pilots what was going on. He had a good passing out story too. I don't doubt that you all earn your money. Every last penny.

I've seen guys that have been flying for 40 years look at a Navajo or 340 on the ramp and say "I would never do that, not in this weather." I'll take thier word for it. Not yours.

I have a buisness card that says CW - Chief Pilot on it. If any of you want to see it I'll seriously mail it to you. I don't need it.

Other than that I'm over it. As for the personal attacks. I don't care about what you people think about what I do for a living. You wont decide what seat I sit in or if I'll get training in the new airplane. You just spout out on flightinfo anonymously like me. Flying is what I do for a living. Thats all. I don't have a Tom Cruise alter ego. Kenny Logins doesn't pump through my head when I'm flying around. I go to work, I'm nice to the passengers, I help out, I get home as fast as possible and I put my feet up and drink a beer. Same thing I did when I worked on a boat, same thing as when I worked for a plummer. Yeah I'm not captain IFR. Personally I think it's great there is someone I can learn from who is in charge.

Doesn't mean I'm not planning, preflighting, flying or hitting the books. Flying in ice, landing on a wet runway and wondering when the anti skid will finally let us stop, blocking in at SLC and watching the rampers face when he sees the snowcone on the radome, then letting the passengers out with a smile like it didn't even happen. and I keep thinking I just want to go home hug my girlfriend and go for a bike ride.

I have no problem admitting that I'm very happy I don't have to do it in a Baron 58 at night. I've only been doing this for a few years full time and there are already too many friends to count on one hand that are no longer around. People with kids. Young people with dreams. I will never casually mention that in a group interview.

AirNet

For months I have read posts about AirNet and the lashing that the company takes from pilots that didn't get hired, or from potential applicants that have families and want to go to a particular base or wonder how the commuting is.
AirNet is a great company from the training to the pilots that run the show! For a low time pilot to get PIC at 1200 hours and BE THE MAN/WOMAN in charge of the aircraft, by themselves, making all of the decisions, pondering the thought of "should I continue thru that weather or go around it," as well as flying in all types of snow, ice, rain...What a concept!
Out of training I was the low time guy and I got TEB, the same week a front came through TEB with snow, ice, the likes. Baptism by fire is how I would put it! For 5 months I was out of TEB then went to south FL. that was a mistake. The storms over Lake Ocachobee are nothing to deal with , or fly thru. I made the mistake...lost control of the Baron at 5K, recovered at 2500 (UIR submitted)...flew to ORL to deal with an irate captaiin the lear that was mad that I was late for the drop. That was enough for me. So for those that know/knew me and wonder why I left...that is why! Not to get to the regionals like the management will tell you! for 5 minutes I thought I was dead and had thoughts of my family running through my head while trying to regain control of the A/C in a level 5, that was not depicted very well on the almost monochrome radar that the plane had. By the way...what do they do with the Barons that have liquid de-icing for the props and windows? Well that was one of them. The planes out of TEB, BDL were awesome!
I loved the flying, but the commute sucked! At that time AirNet was not CASS and trying to get back home was terrible! AirNEt didn't hire my family...they hired me.
For those that want to go there...DO It! Greatest flying you will ever do! Maintenance is the Tops. For those that I let down and call me a quitter....if you only knew!

Last edited:
It's widely known and accepted that CW is a world class dork. Most of the Starcheckers don't take him seriously, and sometimes I wonder if he really takes himself seriously.

Sure the freight dawg planes aren't pretty, but you better believe that I'd rather hop into an Airnet baron or chieftain than hop into anything being offered for rent these days. I felt safe in those planes because they were maintained by the best.

I will admit that some of those radar systems are a bit on the seasoned side of the timeline, but they are still good and capable of saving your butt when you need it. Naturally ATC radar is going to be better considering that the transmitters they use are bigger than our entire airframes and the wattage is enough to send someone to the moon if they cross the wrong wires.

The ice protection systems are fully functional and will do the job they are designed to do: to get you OUT of ice conditions if you get in them. There is no ice protection system out there in the world that is designed to KEEP YOU IN the ice, they are all meant to keep you alive and safe long enough to get OUT. I've put my life in the hands of the Caravan ice protection system many times and always felt safe and confident.

Bottom line is this. If you bombed the interview because freight dawgging just isn't for you, then don't spout off about crap you don't have a clue about just to make youself look better or make the company look bad. You only succeed in making yourself look like an idiot. Besides, if you had gotten past the interview process with an attitude like that, the training department would have eaten you alive and asked for seconds.

Latest resources

Back