Airlines where Pilots Clean the Cabin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
I'm happy to help get the airplane turned and on its way, but I am glad we do not do this at AirTran.

Now, if I see someone waiting in the jetway for a stroller and the rampers haven't made it up in a reasonable amount of time, I'll go down and see if I can grab it for them, especially if it looks like they have a close connection. Non-revving, hey, I'm happy to cross some belts on my out, and I always offer to grab some chow for the crew . . . . . but ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

If it is in the job description, there it is, and it wouldn't keep me from working there, but I am glad we don't do it.

Helping out in the cabin to promote a quick turn is a sign of good leadership. I don't believe JB actually requires the pilots to do it, but it is part of the company culture. To me it seems a good opportunity to interact with the flight attendants for a few minutes, and help out the operation at the same time.

In the job I just left, the company culture was the same. We didn't require it, but the passengers always took their trash with them, or at least put it in the trash can on the way out. I never asked them to do it, they just did it. It was part of the company culture that we're all in this together. That generally leads to successful companies.

Yes our profession has changed. Adjust, and move on.

The key for long term survival in this industry is having a good business plan and executing it. JetBlue has many advantages right now that will even out long term. Their labor costs will rise as their employees gain seniority, get older, and demand higher wages. It will happen if the company remains profitable.

I don't mind helping clean our airplanes. Here at JB, we even have a program called "Blue Shadow" that allows us to cross these work barriers. I'll be throwing bags for a day with a ramper and then I'll take the same ramper for a ride in my cockpit for a day. This is how we keep a company "small" as we grow.

Wow, we actually remember names of coworkers here. We greet each other with handshakes and sometimes hugs and kisses (opposite sex hehe). How often do you see this occur at other airlines? Observe ours. It's not just a workplace, it's more like family. I hope you do the dishes at home or is this just your wife's job?

I know our customers observe our teamwork and they like what they see. People admire hard work ethics. It's not degrading. We constantly hear customers getting off the plane say, "This was the best flight ever!" "You guys are the greatest." "I'll never fly another airline!" Wow, I was an FO at NWA for 2 years and never heard such comments from deplaning passengers.

What a concept, you work hard and get rewarded for your work. Yeah, I've averaged 270 flights hours for the first 3 months this year. I'm on track to make 60K by the end of April...Hand me the gloves.

"This was the best flight ever!" "You guys are the greatest." "I'll never fly another airline!"

Hey, I hear that all the time at my work. You think these same people are two timing us...cheating on us?

You Too?

SWA/FO I remember my first flight on SWA, how much fun it was and how I tried to use SWA whenever I could after that first experience.

The aura of teamwork flows throughtout a flight crew and the cabin, When the workforce is happy and working together as a team, it shows and the customers pick up on it. Resulting in repeat customers

I have no doubts that most of your customers have the same comments as ours. Same type of teamwork culture. Customers can feel the atmosphere of teamwork and cooperation. And to support this atmosphere and culture I am proud to go back and help pickup the cabin when I have time, I even reach under a seat to pick up headset wrappers and water bottles. Gee I feel so demeaned, I've lowered my standards to help my crewmembers !!

And Surprise!! We make money at it. What a concept.

B-atch I think you are better suited for that 'second-choice' career you mentioned than being a pilot. Please don't apply at JetBlue. You would just be more miserable than you already are.

GE CF34-3B1 said:
Yeah, you are right, obviously nothing has changed. In November I saw it on the Jetblue website. And NOW I SAW IT FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH MY OWN EYES.

"CA1900" you are an xxxxxxxxx. You would probably enjoy cleaning the cabin like a little xxxxxx

But now I'll be taking three days off. So long, everybody

You give "good" airline pilots a bad name- what a premadona!

B-atch said:
I personally WILL NOT CLEAN OTHER PEOPLE'S $hiT!!!
If I knew that my flying carreer would come DOWN to this, I would have become a GARBAGE MAN. After all they make better money and enjoy better bennies...

dude...that is why you fly CARGO! duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Chinaclipper...loved your post. I was a UAL bag smasher for 6 years. I remember cleaning the cabin on turns and the FAs and pilots would never help.

Occasionally you would get a Captain walk through and help cross belts. This was once in a blue moon and you just knew he was a good person and you remembered him for it.

I spent my time under the wing sweating gallons. The summer of 2000 comes to mind when UAL pilots cancelled 40% of our flights to send a message to management. It was horrible cleaning up after their mess everyday...I would rather have dumped the crapper than rebook and unload cancelled 757's.

Now, as a first officer, I make it a point to help with bags when I do my walkaround and help in the cabin when its not a quick turn...you see...I remember that one captain at UAL who helped us and I want to be a captain like him someday.

And the first pilot and FA that try to clean a plane on a stop where it is designated to be cleaned by rampers will have a grievance filed on them so fast it would make your head spin.

BTDT. Had IAM rampers yelling at me because it was their job. No matter that it took up until 15 min. before scheduled departure to do it with 10 people on board (half of whom were sitting in FC watching a movie).

Thanks but I'll put on the gloves and do it myself rather than endure the frustration of having the IAM do it for me. :rolleyes: TC

B-atch said:
I personally WILL NOT CLEAN OTHER PEOPLE'S $hiT!!!
If I knew that my flying carreer would come DOWN to this, I would have become a GARBAGE MAN. After all they make better money and enjoy better bennies...

It's not too late, get that GARBAGE MAN app in!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back