Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Hey guys,

I'm interested in the military, always have been. I think the one thing that has always stopped me from looking more into it is just not knowing where to start.
Is it possible for someone like me off the street to get into the military as a pilot? I can't go to the air force academy, do ROTC, etc (already done with college). I'm in my early-mid 20s, have a degree in engineering, and am a CRJ FO with a good bit of turbine and dual given time. I feel like thats a good resume, but I have no idea if the military would be interested in someone like me.

So, my question for all of you, where do I start / who do I talk to in order to "get the ball rolling"? How much of a chance do I have? Is it possible to get a guarenteed pilot slot prior to signing the dotted line?

Also, what can I do to improve my chances? Any tests I should go take? Medical exams I should make sure I can pass? etc

Thanks all....

You should go down and talk to a recruiter. You'd obviously be only an OCS candidate, so you have to do that for 90 days, and get commissioned first. Regardless of your FAA licenses you'd still have to do the full course of UPT.

You'd need to do it soon because of the age cutoff for pilot training. Be advised also that pilot slots are very competitive, so even a lot of really great guys get turned down. Regardless, it's a longshot, but worth taking an hour or so to speak to a recruiter about the possiblities.

Is there a special recruiter I should talk to that handles OCS and things like that, or just any recruiter? Also, what is the age cutoff?

Are you interested in Active Duty or Guard/Reserve? Each one will have a different route to take.

Can't say I really know enough about each right now to be able to answer that, but from what I do know, I think I'm leaning towards the Guard.

I think this was talked about in another post not very long ago, but I was picked up off the street by a reserve unit. I had a bit of time with all the standard certificates like yourself. The one thing i can tell you at this point is that time is of the essence. I started the process by contacting a unit, sending them a resume and getting an interview, of course that was after I had taken all of the appropriate tests and physicals. Some two years after being selected, I went to OTS and then finally to flight school. It's definately a long road, but well worth it. Being in your mid-twenties at this point isn't a deal-breaker, but if this is something you want to do, i'd get the ball rolling tomorrow...

P.S. Guard/Reserves are almost the same thing, except that one is federal and one works for the state. Reserve units work closely with active duty folks, while Guard guys seem to be in their own little world, at least that's my perspective. If you score either one, you've done good.

Good Luck

Is there a special recruiter I should talk to that handles OCS and things like that, or just any recruiter? Also, what is the age cutoff?

Whatever you do, DO NOT talk with a regular recruiter. You need to find the officer programs recruiter and talk with him/her, check the government phone listings. An enlisted recruiter will shoot you some crap about enlisting and then obtaining a commision after you're active duty. Do Not listen to them. If you can't find it in a phone book, CALL the regular recruiters and ask them for the number.

Last edited:
Buy the book Flying in the Guard and Reserve. I bought mine from Air Inc when I was a member. It helped me get my stuff to various units and it walks you through the whole process about getting the tests done and then getting your package to the right people. You will have to do it all on your own. Do not wait for others to get it done. Schedule everyting yourself and make sure it gets going. You will make some people a little upset but it is your career not theirs. It was well worth the $$.

Go talk to the ROTC folks at a nearby university, they will know the ways to get to active duty if that is in your future. If you choose active, and you can't get in through OTS, you could go through a two year ROTC program while picking up a master's degree in something. Will it guarantee a SUPT/JPPT slot? NO, but it is another avenue.

Go ANG if you can, and do some research on the whole BRAC business. Good luck in your quest. If you get there, like was said before, keep an open mind and be humble. But, help your classmates, especially if you are ANG/AFRES, you have nothing to lose by helping them understand this new way of life. Remember most of them will be coming in with @20 hours of time in Katanas and not have a PPL.

Fly safe

Latest resources

Back