• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines to military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OTS these days is hard to come by. The reason it exists is as the third commissioning source after ROTC and the Academy, to fill any gaps in short recruiting goals from year to year. In recent years most OTS slots are to lull people with degrees in engineering and related hard to get degrees into the officer corps.

Your best bet would probably be the Guard or Reserve, or you can join the Navy!

www.airforceots.com

OTS these days is hard to come by. The reason it exists is as the third commissioning source after ROTC and the Academy, to fill any gaps in short recruiting goals from year to year. In recent years most OTS slots are to lull people with degrees in engineering and related hard to get degrees into the officer corps.

Your best bet would probably be the Guard or Reserve, or you can join the Navy!

www.airforceots.com

I would not go as so far to say this. Everyone I have known, including myself, found it very easy to get a OTS slot in the past couple years and to be quite honest with you my selecting package was not too strong. Luckily my Guard unit picked me up and I was able to turn down the active duty.

Being someone who came from the civilian side of aviation, everything from instructing, traffic reporting, to flying 40 year old freight haulers, the military way of flying is quite an adjustment. I am so thankful that I turned down the active slot for the guard gig. I love the AF, but all the military BS around flying takes much of the joy out of it and I am almost positive I would not have liked the active AF as much as the guard.

PM me if you have any questions, I am quite familiar with both paths you are looking at.

I would not go as so far to say this. Everyone I have known, including myself, found it very easy to get a OTS slot in the past couple years and to be quite honest with you my selecting package was not too strong. Luckily my Guard unit picked me up and I was able to turn down the active duty.

Being someone who came from the civilian side of aviation, everything from instructing, traffic reporting, to flying 40 year old freight haulers, the military way of flying is quite an adjustment. I am so thankful that I turned down the active slot for the guard gig. I love the AF, but all the military BS around flying takes much of the joy out of it and I am almost positive I would not have liked the active AF as much as the guard.

PM me if you have any questions, I am quite familiar with both paths you are looking at.

That is your viewpoint, and indeed it does hold some validity since you have never been on active duty. You're right - there is some BS that goes along with active duty that is absent in the air nat'l guard.

However, I HAVE done both...and am currently in the ANG. I can tell you without a doubt that active duty flying is extremely rewarding on multiple levels with a good deal of diversity (much more so than the ANG). And you will not find a finer group of aviators with very varied backgrounds than you will on active duty.

My 2 cents from having done both.

Latest resources

Back