Airlines or Not

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluto13

I'm about to leave active duty and was contemplating the airlines, but have really begun to question that particular option. Given the continuous volatility of the industry, what do all of you think about other career options? With many years of military service and connections, other business opportunities are available to us. Is this industry worth the risk anymore, especially if you have a family to support?

I still love to fly and plan on continuing to fly in the reserves. I just am really questioning if this career is still worth all the sacrifices that I read about on forums such as this one.

Just looking to start a general discussion. Thanks.

In short, no. If you have other options, take them. The airline industry for the rank and file pilot is the pits and getting worse.

I'm about to leave active duty and was contemplating the airlines, but have really begun to question that particular option. Given the continuous volatility of the industry, what do all of you think about other career options? With many years of military service and connections, other business opportunities are available to us. Is this industry worth the risk anymore, especially if you have a family to support?

I still love to fly and plan on continuing to fly in the reserves. I just am really questioning if this career is still worth all the sacrifices that I read about on forums such as this one.

Just looking to start a general discussion. Thanks.

Having been AD and then on to the ANG I never thought I would want to fly an airliner and live the life. However, now that I do both...I will say it's a very nice diversity. Just as soon as the office politics get to haenious in your squadron you go fly your mind numbing airliner from point A to B and get to see some very cool sights and hang out with some great crews. And once you're about bored to tears with airline flying (which happens extremely fast), you get right back into your military cockpit. It works out like a champ.

DO NOT give up your ANG/Res job...ever! A FDX/UPS type carrier combined with an ANG/Res job is a very rewarding and unique combination. I wouldn't shoot for a pax carrier...but they do offer a good option if the FDX/UPS primary deal does not pan out.

My .02

My father-in-law was a Navy pilot and when he got out he interviewed at Delta back in '85. He didn't get the job. He is now a regional manager for a medical supply company and probably more secure in his work. I do believe he enjoys it and finds it very rewarding. He travels alot in his region and spends time out on the road just like a pilot. There are other options out there to make more money and be on the road with coworkers if that is what you like to do. I believe that if you are a die hard aviation enthusiast and love flying, you should go airlines, cargo, frax, etc. If you don't, you're gonna get jaded very quick. Good luck for your decision and thank you for serving our country.

CM

From the Frac side (NetJets) it would not be the boring point A to B over and over and over... We go to all kinds of airports (the big ones to the single strip in the middle of nowhere) with changes during the day. The Air Force 'flexibility is the key to airpower' doesn't hold a candle to the day to day operations here! If 121 flying sounds boring or the industry seems to unstable, I would recommend looking into one the Fracs. By the way, NetJets is very pro military and I haven't had a problem taking mil leave (C5 reservist), even on short notice. Good luck making a decision!

If I can find a better gig outside the airlines, I'll take it. And it shouldn't be too hard to do. I do enjoy the travel benefits, but don't use them near as much as I would if I were single.

Look around at the aircraft manufacturers / big defense contractors as well. Better pay / QOL and more job satisfaction, IMO. I thank God every day I got my current gig and was saved from the airlines.

Latest resources

Back