• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines fall, victors smugly smile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The PBS video, while well done, should be no "eye opener." It was a bit slanted toward the left, painting a picture that employees had no choice. Folks, this is America - if you don't like something you have a choice. Some may take this has being harsh - but it's reality. Hello - you're in aviation - plan ahead.

Tilton is a crook. While he may have done a "good job" of saving the company, he did a very poor job of leading by example. The lawyers are crooks. $400,000,000 to reorganize is absurd. United in it's quest to save money simply changed where is wasted money - lawyers and overcompensated execs. Tiltin shouldn't make $40,000...but he should be more inline with his team.

The bankers were criticized for getting ALL their money back. If you loan money to a cousin, I'm sure you'd want it all back plus interest as well. While noted in the video, it did a poor job of showing WHY the bankers SHOULD get their money back. They took the risk - they should be able to "get out." If you don't pay your mortgage, you lose your house to the bank. This is no different - just on a bigger scale.

The flight attendent nearly cries when she thinks of her financial future. Do you think she is alone? These types are the same people who NEVER seek help. Their are financial planners on every corner who would help her figure the numbers so she could be more confident in her decisions going forward. But she'd rather flail around and cry about her situation. Grow up.

Don't take me wrong - the UAL situation is terrible. At the same time, however, we have to be sure we hear BOTH sides of any story. PBS paints a "poor people" picture. Yet, it fails to mention that this financial irresponsibility by UAL was never addressed PRIOR to the impending bankruptcy. Remember the last UAL contract - industry leading. If somebody couldn't run the math back then and see a potential for bankruptcy in poor economic times, then pitty runs shallow. Yes, this is the company's responsibility, but also the responsibility of each and every person at UAL to plan for the worst. I see it so often in our society, when things are good we run around like we're kings and queens of the world. When things are bad we point fingers - it's never OUR fault. We all need to take more responsibility.

I'm sure I'll be chastized for these remarks - I'm open-minded and not trying to lay blame, but rather be sure we don't go into ANOTHER scerio with our eyes shut!

AZT

"don't want to lose the hearts and minds of the employees" best quote in that video....

Nothing new under the sun. As long as you have corrupt people in positions of power and/or authority they will always use it for their advantage. Doesn't matter whether it is in a democracy, dictatorship, or communism.
Calfo, while I applaud you for upping your 401K, the same corrupt people can take that away too.
We need a Boston Tea party mindset in this country but I don't think we've got the stomach for it.

The biggest travesty is that our beloved ALPA let this happen to us. I don't expect us line pukes to get a leg up on scumbag corporate lawyers but I do expect ALPA to exhaust its resources spelling out what is happening to us BEFORE a conceeionary contract vote.

What about the legal guns our leaders are always suggesting are the best labor money can buy, etc. Where were they while we were getting robbed?

We should've shut this country down for a day bringing mgmt/ Wall Street to its knees.

Perhaps this stuff is legal now but it ought to be outlawed. Yet another reason why this registered republican voted 100% democrat during the last election.

Amen bro.

The PBS video, while well done, should be no "eye opener." It was a bit slanted toward the left, painting a picture that employees had no choice. Folks, this is America - if you don't like something you have a choice. Some may take this has being harsh - but it's reality. Hello - you're in aviation - plan ahead.

Tilton is a crook. While he may have done a "good job" of saving the company, he did a very poor job of leading by example. The lawyers are crooks. $400,000,000 to reorganize is absurd. United in it's quest to save money simply changed where is wasted money - lawyers and overcompensated execs. Tiltin shouldn't make $40,000...but he should be more inline with his team.

The bankers were criticized for getting ALL their money back. If you loan money to a cousin, I'm sure you'd want it all back plus interest as well. While noted in the video, it did a poor job of showing WHY the bankers SHOULD get their money back. They took the risk - they should be able to "get out." If you don't pay your mortgage, you lose your house to the bank. This is no different - just on a bigger scale.

The flight attendent nearly cries when she thinks of her financial future. Do you think she is alone? These types are the same people who NEVER seek help. Their are financial planners on every corner who would help her figure the numbers so she could be more confident in her decisions going forward. But she'd rather flail around and cry about her situation. Grow up.

Don't take me wrong - the UAL situation is terrible. At the same time, however, we have to be sure we hear BOTH sides of any story. PBS paints a "poor people" picture. Yet, it fails to mention that this financial irresponsibility by UAL was never addressed PRIOR to the impending bankruptcy. Remember the last UAL contract - industry leading. If somebody couldn't run the math back then and see a potential for bankruptcy in poor economic times, then pitty runs shallow. Yes, this is the company's responsibility, but also the responsibility of each and every person at UAL to plan for the worst. I see it so often in our society, when things are good we run around like we're kings and queens of the world. When things are bad we point fingers - it's never OUR fault. We all need to take more responsibility.

I'm sure I'll be chastized for these remarks - I'm open-minded and not trying to lay blame, but rather be sure we don't go into ANOTHER scerio with our eyes shut!

AZT

Sure, your open-minded in some respects... Some...

I think before any concessionary contract gets ratified, this video should be sent and shown to the masses before they vote. If after this video they vote for concessions, they deserve what they get...

Latest resources

Back