• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines fall, victors smugly smile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shift your cash, investments, and property slowly into international markets as you age.

While the international markets are hot that isn't going to last much longer. Vietnam's market is up 1500% for the year largely because people can borrow money to put into the market. Great deal until the market tanks and people can't repay the loans and then it is a downward spiral (see USA 1929).

China and India both have inflationary markets which will drive inflation in the US for the first time in almost 20 years. In China alone the salary of a factory worker has more then doubled in last 12 months in the Guan Dong province. This of course is finding its way into the cost of the cheap crap we have enjoyed purchasing for years along with fuel costs being out of sight.

The past 20yrs have been interesting because we have managed to hold costs down in the US by continually finding cheaper means of production. This lack of inflation has kept wages down as well. There is fast becoming no cheaper places and the costs to the supply chain in terms of security and fuel are further hurting matters (coupled with increased domestic demand in India/China for goods they have traditionally sent to us because they now have a middle class). All of this is going to drive inflation which hurts emerging markets.

Ultimately I think this will be good for the US and drive some manufacturing back here. You are already seeing it for low cost textile items like socks and underwear where it just isn't cost effective to manufacture and ship it anymore.

In short don't give up on America yet, we are actually in a better spot then most people think and as things go on I think that position will become better and better.

I don't remember Enron doing anything to anyones 401k. ESOP gone. Pensions gone. But as far as I know, no one can touch 401k's. Unless you know something I don't.

Under today's circumstances I agree. But we also think social security will be there when we retire. Since we don't actually control/have possession of the money it can be taken away via a market meltdown or let's say your investments are found to be "bogus" and/or over inflated and then crash 6 months before retiring. Far fetched I know but then again I am sure the retired UAL folks thought their pensions were sealed and now are door greaters at Wal-Mart (overstatement I know). After UAL, Enron, Savings and Loan scandal in the 90's, etc. I am a bit skeptical of those who are "in charge".

Ok, I stand corrected on the 401k Enron issue. I didnt realize they went throught the 401k system to give employees stock in the company. But really Enron didnt get their hands on the 401k's, they just happened to have 60 percent of their 401k's in Enron stock. It would have been the same if Enron employees had 60% of their 401k stock in UAL, which really is a matter of diversification rather than 'the man' taking away your retirement.

Now, I realize that the workers were forced to have Enron stock, which I don't agree with and I think does need to be changed. Right now with my company, my 401k is fairly diversified through mutual funds and doesn't have any of my own company's stock. As far as I know, they can't come back and touch any of it.

BTW, that link is a good read AC560. Thx for clearing that up.

Latest resources

Back