Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirlineReporter.com: Showing the LUV. Southwest Crew Orders Pizza for Stranded Passen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This IS ironic. When I diverted to Pueblo last year, FLowers Aviation bought THE CREW steaks. Filet Mignons if I recall. They were goooood. No BS. Dead serious. I'm sure it's in the check somewhere though.

Flower Aviation gives out a steak per 500# of fuel if I remember correctly. If you bought fuel, Flower actually shorted you a ton of steaks and cheap champaine. Hopefully one of the gals in short brown shots parked you at least. :)

Turns out that JUS was the training ground for this great event, former JUS guy carried his pizza skills over to SWA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sacamano
Really?!?!?!?!?? It's only happened once.

Unless of course you're not counting BUR.

And about a week before that, they ran off the RAMP in AEX on a military charter. I don't mean cut a corner and put a main in the grass, they ran the whole airplane about 100' into the grass in the fog (in other words, visibility was restricted and they were hauling ass).

They can't stay on the pavement - hardly makes the news. Buy a few pizzas - they are the customer service darlings of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sacamano
Really?!?!?!?!?? It's only happened once.

And about a week before that, they ran off the RAMP in AEX on a military charter. I don't mean cut a corner and put a main in the grass, they ran the whole airplane about 100' into the grass in the fog (in other words, visibility was restricted and they were hauling ass).

They can't stay on the pavement - hardly makes the news. Buy a few pizzas - they are the customer service darlings of the world.

It's not fair! I knew Mom always liked them best.

I diverted into SWF before we started service there for a three hour delay at the FBO. One of the ramp guys drove to a local store to pickup some baby formula. I ordered 30 pizzas and we passed them out in the cabin. Most people said thank you, but I did have a couple of people complain that I didn't get anything that was Kosher. You can't always please all the people.

Are we sure the pizza's were intended for the passengers and not the folks in the tower? Sorry couldn't resist - nice to see someone doing the right thing.

I think people are missing the point. For a while now, Southwest has been telling its Employees that with all the social media, iPhones and such, ANY Customer can become a "reporter" of what happens on a flight. They can send out information, and it gets picked up by the formal media very quickly.

SWA has been hit by the bad end of it, as we've seen a couple of times, but this is a time when I think it actually worked in our favor. I doubt Southwest called the Denver newpaper and offered this up as a story. I'm willing to bet it got picked up because some people on the flight Tweeted it, somebody in the media knew one of those passengers, and thus they picked up it up as a "man bites dog"-style story. (Because we're all so used to hearing about how horribly airlines treat passengers in these sorts of situations, this was something seemingly novel.)

Yeah, great for Southwest. And great for our crews - thank you for making SWA look good! But to me, this article also proves that our culture of social media, videophone cameras, and everyone having the ability to be a reporter - can cut both ways.

Had a flight attendant call up and tell us they had accidentally poured a POT of hot coffee on a passenger. They dabbed her off as best they could and gave her some burn ointment but thankfully, she was a pretty good sport and told them, "no big deal, accidents happen". FA wants to know if we can have a Customer Service Supervisor meet the plane when we land (at our hub). We ACARS the request and call in-range to verify the request was received. Arrive at the gate....no supervisor. I called ops and requested one come immediately. He shows up, all pissed off at having to leave his cozy office, wants to know what problem is. FA advises what happened and asks if we can provide vouchers for dry cleaning, entry to the USAir club...something...ANYTHING. Agent says, "we don't provide anything unless they write a complaint letter", and goes back to his office. YGSM! I asked the FA what, if anything, he was going to do. He says, "Cheap F-ing company! I don't know what the FAs in the aft are going to do, but I'm going to empty the liquor cart into a garbage bag for her", and that's what he did. Instead of provided $20 worth of vouchers and an apology from a supervisor, we gave this poor lady our apology and about 40 mini bottles worth at least $5 each. Probably cost the company significantly more in the long run.

I miss the days when the company philosophy was, "every one of us is a customer service agent" and we were each empowered to actually do something for people. Maybe Southwest still has that. I envy them for it, even if I grow weary of them telling us all about it.

Those of us who've been around long enough, know what this job is realy about. I'm sure the Southwest Captain didn't expect anything more than knowing he made the passengers day a little better.

Latest resources

Back