Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirlineReporter.com: Showing the LUV. Southwest Crew Orders Pizza for Stranded Passen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RedDogC130

http://blog.seattlepi.com/airlinereporter/archives/206713.asp

With all this talk about how airlines treat passengers horribly when they are stranded, good news comes from Southwest Airlines - which earns them an Awesome Medal!
A Southwest flight from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Denver, CO ran into some stormy weather and had to be diverted to Pueblo, CO. Anyone who has been on a diverted flight, knows it is not a fun experience. But in this instance, the crew stepped up and got the passengers pizza.
I spoke with Chris Mainz, with Southwest, about this unique customer service experience. He pointed out that Pueblo is not an airport usually served by Southwest and it was a team effort between the flight crew and airport personal. I asked if Southwest had any policies regarding what the flight crew should do in these instances and he told me there are no written rules or policies and Southwest trusts their employees to do what is right.
You always hear people complaining about losing the "good 'ol days of flying," but dang, I don't even think airlines of yesteryear did this.
Cheers to the flight crew, Southwest Airlines, and the Pueblo Memorial Airport for providing this awesome service. This proves you still can have low fares and amazing (I didn't want to use "awesome" again) customer service!

Like awesome, oh wow, like totally freak me out...
Typical idiotic reponse. As the majority of this industry is inundated with negative press daily, this forum member fires off with the a 5th grade response.
Wait till "Scope out RJ's" views it. Then we will get a first grade response.

Last edited:
Happened at ATA more than once and that was just a few years ago on scheduled service flights that were diverted and subsequently hugely delayed.

We actually had some Captains that had brains and balls and did exactly the same thing ( buying pizzas ) to keep the masses happy while sitting at Podunk International awaiting their new departure time for their originally intended destination.

Meanwhile across the Metroplex at AA.

I know one AA Captain who went to his Chief Pilot to get reimbursed for $150 or so for Pizza's.

He was told "tough Sheet, we don't reimburse Captains for expenses like that"

Has happened at CAL for years and doesn't make the press. Just like all the RNP we have been doing for years at places like CAL/AA/UAL/DAL and when SWA finally starts to incorporate it in its infancy, it makes the press. Had a SWA crew ask me if we were certified yet at CAL to do RNP approaches. "What? RNP? Wow, you guys are impressive! We have only been doing that down in South America/Vail, etc. for like a decade now!"

Typical idiotic reponse. As the majority of this industry is inundated with negative press daily, this forum member fires off with the a 5th grade response.
Were you at recess when you read this?

Wait till "Scope out RJ's" views it. Then we will get a first grade response.

At least then it will be at your age level of understanding, or is that your age level of pedophilia?

Good for swa. The crew did something nice. BFD. How many crews from other airlines do something nice for their pax on a regular basis?

Has happened at CAL for years and doesn't make the press. Just like all the RNP we have been doing for years at places like CAL/AA/UAL/DAL and when SWA finally starts to incorporate it in its infancy, it makes the press. Had a SWA crew ask me if we were certified yet at CAL to do RNP approaches. "What? RNP? Wow, you guys are impressive! We have only been doing that down in South America/Vail, etc. for like a decade now!"

Where have you been doing those approaches? I think the light bulb is starting to come on with some of the pilots around SWA. You are correct though that we are blasting our way into the 90's.

I did this at Skywest years ago flying under United Express colors the night southwest went off the end at MDW.. not that uncommon a practice. Pizza delivered.. drink carts emptied.. carry on.. And damn.. I didn't even make the papers... :rolleyes:

Happened at ATA more than once and that was just a few years ago on scheduled service flights that were diverted and subsequently hugely delayed.

We actually had some Captains that had brains and balls and did exactly the same thing ( buying pizzas ) to keep the masses happy while sitting at Podunk International awaiting their new departure time for their originally intended destination.

I was that Captain. It was my first trip off IOE with an off line diversion. We got hotels for all the pax, took care of the 8 um's and had everyone on their way to DFW in the am.

I had an awesome crew and great support that made it all come together. Makes for a great TMAAT story. UA loved it! I miss ATA....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back