Airline Training Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flight school

Part 61 is fine , since there seems to be so many high time pilots out of work rite now , i mean pilots with any where between 6,000 and 10,000 hours according to this board, check other postings.

Pay as you go , not in a lump sum, very tough to get it back, when i left comair it was some what hard to get the money but kept calling and they came throughwith it.

You mite want to look through some other posts here because i saw one about a month ago that said the Delta was laying off 860 pilots this past june and it was posted by a Delta Offical, O and by the way comair is going to pull out of MCO, and go to DFW, this i over heared the last time the Delta big boys were in town, say march of this year.

My two former instructors who did the whole program through the academy side did not get there interviews with conair untill they had all ready signed letters of intent with other cairrers, and were issued class dates were confirmed, go figure.

:eek:

Another note about ATA. I am working as a fueler at a Vero Beach FBO and ATA flies in all the time. The thing is they are no longer allowed to get fuel at any airport other than their home base. So if you go there don't count on any fun cross-country adventures far from home...have to leave and come back on one tank. Just another thing to keep in mind.

The pilots have said something about they are re-negotiating fuel contracts or something...As of today though, no fuel for you!!

My wife went to ATA, did the program quickly and got hired with Eagle. She was two weeks into ground shcool when she got furloughed.
I spent the money for the chance that she could go from zero time to airline fast and it worked.
I don't have a high regard for any of these schools. You may or may not get a good education no matter where you choose. She started with Comair and I was very upset with them for many reasons, so we changed over to ATA after her private. ATA was better for her, but once or twice I had to go in and "negotiate" with the school owners for them to do things right.
In the current environment I wouldn't recommend a school with a high priced bridge program.

This is a little off the subject and it has been discussed on the board before if I remember. Why is everyone in such a hurry to get their ratings and pay so much for these bridge programs. What ever happened to your local FBO get your ratings and build your time instructing and really learn?I think the bridge program is just buying your job. Just as bad as PFT

In a rush to get my ratings.......

I must say I am in a rush because this will be a career change for me. I 'm not 20 and have the time to fart around waiting for my instructor to cancel or the airplane have a maintenance issue while I train part time. I know I will deal with this but training full time will allow me to complete a training course at a faster rate. Plus I will benefit from putting all of my effort full time into this venture. I need the structure of a school to keep me going.

I am almost 30 and think it would be behoove of me to get my tickets and start instructing ASAP.

Sure if I had just graduated from college and had my act together I could have done that but I am already behind the eight ball.

Sounds like the possibility of a secondary recession could really make the upcoming few years a good time to training.

I am kinda biased on the school thing, I operate a small school.I think the local FBO and instructors can provide structured program and I think you will be treated more like a person in a smaller setting. The larger flight school instructors have one thing in mind the airlines thats it and getting your money.You might find an older instructor that has a lot more to offer at the FBO. I was kinda in the same boat getting out of the military. I started at the FBO then went to a big school for my multi commercial, instrument then left for a smaller school/FBO for my CFI,CFII. I got the best training at the FBO. I would really look around and ask a lot of questions from both the big and small schools.Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

AIRLINE TRAINING ACADEMY

Just this past week they made the news in orlando Florida on Channel 9 , action reporter Todd Alrich, broke a story about several students that were having trouble getting their money back, since they were not going there any more., because of 9-11-01.They also interviewd one stuident on TV that was having trouble getting a refund.

Also a law suite was file in the circuit court of orange county florida for this , and channel 9 even showed a copy of it on tv.

go to www.ilsapproach.com and read the rest of the sory which is in greater detail there.:eek:

Structured programs

I appreciate ch47fe's comments, above. That is exactly where I'm coming from regarding a structured program. The structure and discipline of actually going to school indeed keeps you going.

I can relate, from my experience learning to fly, as an instructor in formal schools, and when I went back to school to learn to be a paralegal. I had seen it from the other side of the desk as I meandered through my training over the years and then saw my students, who were products of a structured program, do better than I did. My paralegal school had a 7½-month program. I had classes nearly every day of the week and, easily, five hours of studying a night and on weekends. The discipline was good for me. The schedule kept me going. I wish had the same when I was learning to fly.

Just something to think about.

Latest resources

Back