Airline Rankings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

Anyone know the ranking of the majors according to size then profitability? As far as size, I think AA is the largest followed by UAL, then ??? I see that US Airways is #7.

From a profitability point of view, I have no idea what the order is.

This could get interesting. What else are we going to rank them by? One that is losing the least? One that has furloughed the most? One with the best uniforms? Best crew rest locations? Hmmm, isn't the best, the one that will keep your paycheck from bouncing?

Can't wait to see how people rate them.

Last edited:
I think this has come up before but I couldn't resist,I didn't see Jet Blue on that list.Why do post about them keep comming out under Majors?

Last edited:
jetBlue

Intruder -- As per your normal form, here you go again taking cheap shots at jetBlue. Haven't you had enough? Get over it and move on with your life!

For everybody else -- We expect to reach "Major Airline" status about the middle of this year. We will officially be a "Major Airline" for 2004. In anticipation of that event, we have already started to report all the required performance elements to the DOT and FAA for 2003.

We had the highest profit margin of any airline for 2002, but I think SWA beat us out in total profit because of their size. (That's after paying $13.6 million to crewmembers for profit sharing. Thank you very much Dave & David for that nice chunk of change!) We had the highest completion factor, best ontime performance, highest load factors, and lowest DOT complaints in the industry.

Lifter -- Since you asked about uniforms... We also don't have to wear hats and I personally think the blue shirts and stripes are pretty cool. But then, blue has always been my favorite color. We do, however, lose on crew rest locations. Florida and So. Cal locations are nice, but Rochester and Buffalo don't do much for me. (See Intruder--if you are still reading--we are not perfect!)

I know how to get you going......don't I?I know if you stay around you will be a major sooner or later,but the post heading says Majors not (Airlines that may become Majors)

Intruder -- Any chance you are going to grow up? I posted the additional information for others to understand how close we are to becoming a Major, not to defend our position in this forum. Does it really matter? Are you really that insecure?

But as long as we are on the topic... the forum categories by company type are: Majors, Fractionals, Regionals, Corporate, Cargo, and Charter. Since we are probably most accurately described as a National airline, and that category does not exist on this forum, Major is probably the closest match. It's as simple as that.

dgs
Just out of curiousity, approximently what did the profit sharing come out per crewdog? Is it based on a % of you gross salary or a flat check per individual?

I was wondering on which different criteria we should rate the airlines. I can think of several ways JB would rate on the top, if not one of the top 2. Customer satisfaction, working conditions, work environment, potential to be around in 6 months, profit, profit margin, CASM, potential expansion. If you get what I mean.

Size doesn't matter, well at least that what I've convinced my wife of for 15 years.

Jeez, talk about gettin wrapped around the axle. The whole Airline rating system is a very old D.O.T. system that was created in the "good old days" when a Major was truly a Major and a Regional was truly a Regional. It needs to be chucked and a new, more representitive system developed. Maybe a "passengers carried/miles flown" system with ratings related to international operations, % of flights concentrated by region etc... And divide it all by what percentage the airline is "self contained" or "virtual" as it relates to training, maint., reservations, customer and ramp service etc......... None the less, the old system is broke.........

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back