Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Pilots, Wht is your job worth????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
The pay of All major airline pilots is going to come down to the 80K level. I think that is all that we as pilots think we are worth. It is painfully clear that that is what we are willing to settle for. Nobody is going to stop this until we all drop down to this pay scale, and why not? What is the problem with saving money on labor? You will fly a 737 for 80K a year right? If not I'm sure that we can find someone who will!

When will Pilots connect the dots and see that our pay is being cut so that the cost of a ticket can be lowered? If you have taken a pay cut and fly for an airline, remember this every time that you see a SALE on tickets. That $79 ticket is coming from your pay check!

What happens if the cost of a barrel of oil goes up? Do the gas stations lay off employees? Do they cut the pay of the guy who pumps the gas?? NO. The cost goes up for the customer. Same with Dairy, Houses, Clothing. You name it. But the airline's have learned that they can actually charge less for tickets and take it out of the retirement and pay of employees. What are the employees doing? NOTHING. This will go on until we as a group or UNION of pilots say "NO, This is the cost to operate the aircraft. Not Negotiable"!

Until we as a Group, Across Company lines, send this message, this abuse will continue. Sorry, but unless WE change things, we are all going to be making half of what we make today with no retirement. It is truly sad that we are giving back everything that our brothers and sister before us fought for to make this job what it is today. Want a look into the future?.......Greyhound.

Agree?

Dash Trash said:
The pay of All major airline pilots is going to come down to the 80K level. I think that is all that we as pilots think we are worth. It is painfully clear that that is what we are willing to settle for. Nobody is going to stop this until we all drop down to this pay scale, and why not? What is the problem with saving money on labor? You will fly a 737 for 80K a year right? If not I'm sure that we can find someone who will!

When will Pilots connect the dots and see that our pay is being cut so that the cost of a ticket can be lowered? If you have taken a pay cut and fly for an airline, remember this every time that you see a SALE on tickets. That $79 ticket is coming from your pay check!

What happens if the cost of a barrel of oil goes up? Do the gas stations lay off employees? Do they cut the pay of the guy who pumps the gas?? NO. The cost goes up for the customer. Same with Dairy, Houses, Clothing. You name it. But the airline's have learned that they can actually charge less for tickets and take it out of the retirement and pay of employees. What are the employees doing? NOTHING. This will go on until we as a group or UNION of pilots say "NO, This is the cost to operate the aircraft. Not Negotiable"!

Until we as a Group, Across Company lines, send this message, this abuse will continue. Sorry, but unless WE change things, we are all going to be making half of what we make today with no retirement. It is truly sad that we are giving back everything that our brothers and sister before us fought for to make this job what it is today. Want a look into the future?.......Greyhound.

Agree?
Not going anywhere for a while? Try a Snickers!

As a friend once pointed out, any system will seek a balanced condition, and airline pilot salaries are no different. I knew that one day, the disparity between mainline and regional salaries would get smaller.

But I had hoped it'd be because we went up... :eek:

Let's see, there is a relativity between pay and what is going on in the market prices for tickets. Wow!

By the way, one of my friends owns a gas station and has been just about put out of business by two hurricanes and margins being shrunk. They do not cut the pay because they are minimum wage jobs to start with.

What you see here is simple. A heavily unionized group of airlines are competing with some that are more productive and less costly. The market that they used to have has shrunk and the traveling public was not willing to pay the fares they used to. Should some individual get a quarter of a million to fly a Boeing behmoth around the sky if there are ten others who think $100k would be fine.

So Dash Trash,

Where did you learn economics from? You're only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Good luck Custard trying to make that stand.

really?? == I thought you were only worth what you were willing to take...

obvioulsy $9/hr for flying a RJ seems bout' right to many..

so be it.

This is something I worry about a lot. Right now I am a seventeen year old High School Senior making almost twenty dollars an hour, waiting tables. I have a pretty good feeling that when I start CFIing, I wont be making twenty dollars per hour. However, I don't think there is any job I would take at nine dollars per hour, airplane or no airplane. Thats ridiculous.

Cutlass1287 said:
Right now I am a seventeen year old High School Senior making almost twenty dollars an hour, waiting tables.

Where the heck do you work? I mean holy crap, there are millions of people doing that kind of work who don't get anywhere near that kind of money. That is $40,000/yr.

Cutlass1287 said:
This is something I worry about a lot. Right now I am a seventeen year old High School Senior making almost twenty dollars an hour, waiting tables. I have a pretty good feeling that when I start CFIing, I wont be making twenty dollars per hour. However, I don't think there is any job I would take at nine dollars per hour, airplane or no airplane. Thats ridiculous.

Yes,

Most CFI's took paycuts to be RJ pilots. many CFI's make $25/hr+ I made close to 35/hr and stayed busy...not bad for a CFI.

The trick is career progression. It was always traditionally worth it to take a pay cut and move on, get your time and go on to a lucrative flying job (like a major airline).

Now the playing field is very different. There is little progression out of the RJ's. The industry is pretty battered. I dont know what the CFI market is but Im sure its equally as bad...and this does not appear to be a "cycle" no matter what Kit Darby says..

Hang around and read this board for a few weeks...you will see what I mean.

You're young, best advice I can give is persue another field...

I truly hate to say that, but its the exact advice I would give my own kid if he/she were in High School today.

Latest resources

Back