Airline Pilots Still In Demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Negative vibes

I don't understand all the neg vibes, he sells a service, and if you don't like it you should not buy, but to brand people who use his service as being ripped off is not fair. Some do actually get non-PFT jobs at his shows. I wish there had been something like this in the late 70's and mid 80's for me during my job scearch. Like I said before, I was at the show, I was recruitng for future jobs and six qualified pilots came by my booth, they are all getting interviews and I am sure some will be hired.

Kit

While it is interesting and fun to poke at Kit, the fact is that I do not doubt the statistic.

If you look just at Comair, ACA, ASA, and other regionals, you have a substantial number of hires this year. Alaska has hired people, Southwest has hired people, fractionals have hired people, on and on.

There are also the Evergreen's, Express.net, and others. While you may not want these type jobs, the fact is that people were hired and 6000 is not surprising.

I think this is a pretty good list of airlines who are hiring, or who have hired recently...(that I've heard of)

Alaska
SW
FedEx
UPS
JetBlue
Comair
ASA
ACA
AirWis
Skywest
The Fractionals

I believe history has showed that this industry is very cyclical, anyone think that were just in one of the down turns? Or does everyone have a different opinion?

With the advent of hate-crimes legislation, this country has accepted the idea that we can now judge intent as well as action. From that perspective, it seems to me that Mr. Darby's intent is not to help out of work pilots get jobs, I think that Mr. Darbys intent is to lure new entrants into the job market.

In my view, Mr. Darbys strategy is to publish misleading "facts" in an effort to convince unsuspecting dreamers of the "opportunity" available to aspiring pilots. He fools them into spending money with his advertisers (conflict of interest), and having an oversupply of pilots helps him sell his "services". I liken his actions to the drug dealer who gives out the first dose for free. I know of no action he has taken to improve the career. In my view, his actions/words do just the opposite.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that he receives a paycheck from the management side of UAL. His business helps them more than it helps us.

Recap: He helps ensure an oversupply of pilots. An oversupply leads to low wages and bad working conditions. Therefore Mr. Darby is bad for working pilots.

regards,
8N

Enigma,
Good post. You have to be in this because you love it and not for the money. But those that love it deserve the money because it is a very necessary service to our our economy.Off the subject but you have some of our "fun" ex-FA's with you now. I am sure you know them. :D

"Kit"

“The excitement over the verification of a pilot job market in the middle of this stalled recovery was contagious,” said Kit Darby, President of AIR, Inc. about the seminar/job fair in Washington, DC. “Many pilots are unaware that there are still opportunities at every level – majors, nationals, regionals, passengers, cargo, and fractionals, and it’s AIR, Inc.’s duty to inform them.” AIR, Inc. predicts 6,000 to 7,000 new pilots jobs will be created in 2002.
I think I am going to retch.

Hello, Kit, your "pilot shortage" shtik, even in its truncated form, above, is getting old. You need to hire some new writers. Allow me to be the first.

Kit, I have a word to add to your vocabulary. The word is "sophistry." "Sophistry" is defined as "a subtle, tricky, superficially plausable, but generally fallacious method of reasoning." Random House Webster's College Dictionary, p.1231 (emphasis added). "Superficially plausable" because at first blush your statement about so many jobs appears to be true. Explain it to those qualified pilots, to use your terminology, who apply and are not getting those jobs, notwithstanding the fact that the number of qualified applicants is almost always double or triple the number of openings, at least. Moreover, are you counting these job "openings" once or multiple times? I suppose I could count the same job opening seven thousand times and say I have seven thousand openings (I again credit another member for calling Kit's "pilot shortage" Enron-style accounting.).

OK, Kit, I realize that I haven't been looking for many aviation jobs during the last nine years. But, times now are virtually the same as back then. I know those times well. You were pushing the SOS back then, too. Once more, it's getting old and tired.

To clarify a point, there is always hiring. People leave jobs. Pilots retire from the airlines. But, to mislead people with your sophistries, Kit, is disingenuous at best.

Last edited:
Enigma, Bobby and others you guys are right on.

No doudt some airlines are hiring but not with the spin that Kit put on it. I think its wrong. I bought airins stuff when I was a CFI and used the directory to send resumes out but the rest was crap or common knowledge. Bottom line is:

THE BEST RESOURCE WE HAVE AGAINST THS IS US. WHAT WE HAVE RIGHT HERE FOR FREE. ANYTHING YOU WANT JUST ASK. NEED AND ADDRESS JUST ASK, NEED INTERVIEW GOUGE JUST ASK, PAY SCALE JUST ASK, AND ON AND ON ..........although some time you get BS or wrong info but if you have some knowledge of the industry or have been around for awhile you can weed the junk out.

besides if hiring ever does ruturn like it was or even close I think it will mostly be internet bases apps. on the airlines own web site neglecting the need for KITs info.

One thing in defence of Kit is that I do like his magazine, ALPC. Although I think itsalittle steep 40 bucks for 12 issues I play it off against Pro Pilot for free. Kind of like two magazines for 20 bucks/year.

Finally thanks to the web people who provide this sit and the others who contribute so KIT doesn't take my 150 per year and I can blow it on beer.

Kit's materials

LearLove said:
I bought airins stuff when I was a CFI and used the directory to send resumes out but the rest was crap or common knowledge . . . .
True. When I decided to change careers I joined FAPA. Kit's materials provided addresses to companies and provided the basics on how to apply for jobs. I had no clue about either, so, in that regard, they were helpful and valuable. That was fifteen years ago, before the internet made this information easy to find and more current.

I looked forward to receiving my monthly copy of Piloting Careers magazine, which was changed to Career Pilot. I used Kit's advertisers to find a school for my type rating and I acquired or purchased books that Kit recommended. I also cribbed off of Kit's forms to design my resume. I saw no need to purchase Kit's resume service when I was just as capable of producing my form myself.

Just the same, Kit, to generate business by way of a sophistry is wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself. Now, drop the "pilot shortage" sophism and promote your services positively. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Different

Bobby is right as usual. Some people are willing and take the time and effort to look all this stuff up and others would rather pay Kit or someone else to do the work and buy it.

It is not a matter of right or wrong. As I said earlier, I think Kit is probably right when he says that some 6000 will be hired this year and in some cases like SWA, they could be legitimately new jobs. Certainly the fractionals have continued to hire depending on how you count them in the occassion.

What is not accounted for is the net number. Jobs losts versus gained. We have debated the nature of what is and is not a shortage. There are good points and bad about the database services. There is no gun to your head, you are a consumer and they may or may not be for you.

As somneone who has and does employ people, I would use them to post positions.

Latest resources

Back