Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Pilots, is this scenario possible?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ultraman

H.N.F. 1924-2003
Since I am not all that familiar with the airlines, is this scenario possible?

A guy is hired by American Airlines in 1993 and eventually makes captain on the MD-88. He then goes to 777 school but never gets on the line because 9/11 happens and he is furloughed for a year. He is then recalled and is now, at age 40, a 777 international captain.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ultraman

I doubt it. First of all, AA does not have MD-88s, just 82s or 83s or 80s or something in the low eighties.

Second, didn't AA have people on furlough in '93, and they were not called back until '95 or '96??

Third, even if someone WAS hired by AA in '93, they would not have had the seniority to hold captain on ANYTHING by a date prior to 9/11,

Fouth, again assuming they WERE in fact hired by AA in '93, they would have had 8 years of seniority by the time 9/11 rolled around, and I don't think that any people that far up the list with AA have been furloughed.

Of course, I have no clue about anything.

No way......

First of all, I don't think any AA captains were furloughed after 9/11 (ex-TWA not included).

Secondly, no one could go from furloughed to 777 Captain in three years.

All the above are absolutely correct.

A person upgrading but, because of events, will be subsequently downgraded, not furloughed. He could, in fact, be downgraded to First Officer.

I was furloughed three years ago... and counting.

Not likely since pilots are furloughed from the bottom of the seniority list - so its the recently hired First Officers that are the first to go. Similarily when they are recalled they once again join the bottom of the list.

Its interesting that while a furlough reduces the total pilot cost to the airline, it actually increseases the average cost - since its the lowest paid pilots that get furloughed.

In your example, for the 777 captain to be furloughed, all pilots junior to him would have to be furloughed. Way before that happened, the 777 captain would have to suffer numerious downgrades, so that by the time he is furloughed - he would be a junior First Officer on the most junior aircraft. When he is recalled he again starts out as a junior First Officer on the most junior aircraft.

Last edited:
Secondly, no one could go from furloughed to 777 Captain in three years.
That is not entirely true. I think what you meant to say is that no one could go from furloughed to 777 Captain at the same airline in three years.

P.S. Nice Avatar

TP

Latest resources

Back