Airline Pilot Sues NTSB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It would have decimated the airline industry

That word gets used a lot, out of place. Decimate doesn't mean to wipe out, destroy, lay waste to, or otherwise, obliterate. It means to kill every tenth person, company, object, etc. If the airline industry is decimated, then one in ten companies is put out of business, destroyed, damaged, whatever. Not the industry at large.

Throughout history, certain military leaders have relied upon decimation to motivate troops. Following a failure on the battlefield, every tenth man was killed. Hannibal, I believe, was known for this, among others.

The Concord had more than a few puncured tanks. Something like 20. And I believe over 40 cases of losing large rudder sections enroute. That the aircraft didn't come apart inflight or suffer a catastrauphic loss years sooner is a grand mystery.

Re: Think logically

mar said:
If there is truly a design flaw in the 747 (and I believe this would qualify as such) then dontcha think there would be other similiar explosions from an airframe that's over 30 years old?

It is my understanding that another 747 did blow up in similar circumstances. In fact it was off the line right adjacent to TWA 800. It was owned by the government of Iran when it happened, as was TWA 800. It mysteriously exploded one night due to undetermined causes.

What about the fuel guages in the cockpit of TWA 800? Wasn't there a voice on the CVR saying something to the effect of, "Look at those crazy fuel guages." As if the guages were fluctuating, perhaps an indication of arcing or some other anomaly.

Re: Think logically

mar said:
If there is truly a design flaw in the 747 (and I believe this would qualify as such) then dontcha think there would be other similiar explosions from an airframe that's over 30 years old?

Other Boeing aircraft have blown up just sitting on the tarmac due to a fuel tank explosion. Does that necessarily mean that aircraft type was flawed? No, sh*t happens sometimes and the laws of nature and physics take over.

Skeezer

Latest resources

Back