Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline pilot means no control over your life!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN and Labbats ... ROFLMMFAO again! You guys are all on a roll this week. :laugh:

I hear there is a big shortage of nurses
Yes, but an even bigger shortage of school slots. When it looked like I was never going to fly again ($$$) I applied to three different nursing programs two years in a row because I wanted to work in Infomatics (Medical IT). Over 3000 applicants each for 75 or less slots at every community college within driving distance. Essentially, you will never get a school slot unless you atre already an LPN, EMT, or CNA.

I shoulda' went to law school. The ambulance-chasers are the only guys thriving. :D

Minhberg

pilotmiketx said:
Awwww, does baby want his wittle binky?

Want some cheese with that w(h)ine?

Somebody call the police...he's obviously being held hostage and forced to work a job he hates...

Here's a news flash: QUIT. Go get a nice civil service job and punch a clock for the next 25 years and take your federal holidays and weekends off.

Since I can't knock the crap out of you from behind my computer, do me a favor and put $20 worth of quarters in a sock and hit yourself in the face with it. It'll make me feel better, and might knock some sense into you.

Hmmm well at least " you got you a m o f o job ! " hopefully it's still there when you hit retirement.

I agree with the thread consensus, make it work or get out, me ? Currently trying my hardest to get out.

av8er2 said:
Yes I am jealous of my friend who is a school teacher. He makes as much money as me, lives in a small town and he is home every night with his kids. He doesn't miss any of his kids games.

That sure must be one heck of a school teaching job. My Mom's been doing it for a long time, it doesn't pay well. QOL? Trying dealing with incompetent admin, whiny spoiled children, disrespectful adolescents, unaccountable parents, etc. There are problems in every job, and almost nothing pays that well these days. Pretty much everybody has to work a second job to get ahead... I'm not talking about pion jobs here either. Accountants, Engineers, CPAs, etc. The only promising field right now is health care. I should've gone into Pharmacy school, as engineering doesn't pay well at all, lol!

wrxpilot said:
There are problems in every job, and almost nothing pays that well these days. Pretty much everybody has to work a second job to get ahead... I'm not talking about pion jobs here either. Accountants, Engineers, CPAs, etc. The only promising field right now is health care. I should've gone into Pharmacy school, as engineering doesn't pay well at all, lol!

all depends on what your education and experience are... starting out, I would agree, in most areas you start at the bottom and have to pay your dues; no college degree, you're at a major disadvantage and will likely hit a ceiling pretty quick; but, there are plenty of jobs/industries outside of healthcare that can provide a good buck... business, real estate, technology, etc.

I'm a 5 year CRJ captain at a similar airline but my situation is opposite. When I was an FO I noticed the captains that hated thier jobs were the ones who were junior, took the upgrade right away, commuted to their domicile, and had a miserable quality of life. It's all about give and take. I delayed upgrade for 8 months and went to the turboprop to our most junior base but I was lucky and convinced my wife and daughter to move with me. I don't ever want to commute (done that already). Then after my seat lock was up I transitioned back to the CRJ but again to the most junior base and my wife and two kids now moved with me. We rent a tiny apartment in expensive Chicago. We'd like to own a home sometime soon. But in exchange I have a great quality of life. I commute via the "L" in Chicago and I fly locals and I'm home every night. I get most weekends off and since I live in the domicile it's easy to pick up a couple of locals to bring my monthly credit up to 100 hours every month. Just like the engineers say about building an airplane, it's all a compromise of one thing or another. I've compromised having a house right now by not commuting but I have a great quality of life.

Skywest sounds like a smart guy who has figured it out, Congrats you will have great time in this career.

pilotyip said:
Skywest sounds like a smart guy who has figured it out, Congrats you will have great time in this career.
Exactly. You have to find the best sum of all the things that are good and try to eliminate the things that are bad. Whatever works!

Control

He is right !!! The regionals especially treat you more like a prisoner. Some people like being kicked around I guess. Even school teachers can take a day off now and then to have a doctors appt. The regional I worked for wouldn't give me the day off to be best man at a friends wedding with three months notice. They realize that they have a captive group who doesnt want to rock the boat for fear of loosing a dream job that they probably will not get anyway.

I feel that only young unattached people can make a life out of a regionals schedule.

I was told by a United jumpseater that they hired women while they were very young (regardless of experience) because they did a study and realized that most women quit around 28 to 32 to have children. Therefore if they wanted to maintain a high percentage of women pilots then they had better hire them while they were still very young in order to get a few years out of them.

I flew with a gal once who just had her first child. She was trying to make it flying anyway. At every leg she would pull out the picture of her newborn and sob while waiting for the paperwork. Then on taxi out she would mount the picture on her yoke clip only occasionally sobbing until departure and finally then she would put the picture away. She quit a month later.

Skyline

Skywest

Skywest,

Yea, but do your wife and kids live in a ghetto? I did something similar and was not comfortable with leaving them alone in the city while I flew off thousands of miles away and helpless if there was a problem. We have small children an occasionally she would get sick or need help and there are few who could come since we were always moving for the job and didn't know many in a strange city. It was a sad, scared, lonely and crummy life for them. I was great however.
Now we live back at our small home town. The schools are great my wife and kids are very happy. We can afford a good place to live and I am home every night. We camp, fish and have friends and family over most weekends. QOL can't be better.

Skyline

Latest resources

Back