Airline Pilot Attendance Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LoveGun

Does your airline have an attendance policy? We at PSA were stuck with an attendance policy about a year ago and our union is working to get it removed. I am sure other pilot groups have been through this struggle before. I am hoping you guys could offer some ideas to help us fight management on this one.

Here's the gist of our policy: Four sick calls in a year...verbal warning. Five sick calls gets you a written warning. Six sick calls equals a three day suspention, and after seven you're fired.

Of course management says this policy is legal and the FAA has no problem with it. Currently our union is working on it through the greivence process, but that is taking a long, long time. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Amazing. They must have copied your attendance policy straight from ours which was started about a year and half ago. It's identical. Our management technically still has the policy on the books, but as of about 3 months ago it is no longer being enforced. I think they realized that they could get in serious trouble if they actually fired anyone for calling in sick. Your management hasn't actually fired anyone yet have they?

If you call out sick every 3 months, you have a problem.

fletch717 said:
If you call out sick every 3 months, you have a problem.

Or you have kids who bring germs home from school and pass them to you. Instead of spreading disease throughout your company and vilolating regs you decide to call off sick like you should.

Skeezer

At SKW the FAs have a policy like that. I think 8 in a year and they get fired. Pilots don't have a policy. Just give them at least an hour and a half notice.

Pilots dont have a policy like that? Than whats that reliability report doing in your face every time you log on?

I can't believe any airline would be stupid enough to put a policy like that in writing. Just wait till they have an "incident" because someone was flying sick because they feared for their job. I'm sure the feds are not "OK" with this....probably don't even know about it. Maybe you should ask your POI about it personally. Can you imagine if USA Today would get ahold of this???

love gun posted that at the 7th sick call in 12 months you will get fired. That equates to calling in sick every 45 days. I understand that children get sick and things happen, most companies will work with you and your family issues as long as you keep them in the loop. Arbitrarily calling out sick 4 or more times in one year is hard to defend.

First off no one can fire you for being sick unless they can prove your abusing the system by calling in sick when your not. Laws are quite clear on this.

The airline just tries to scare you in reality they never fire anyone for being sick.

Jimdandy said:
First off no one can fire you for being sick unless they can prove your abusing the system by calling in sick when your not. Laws are quite clear on this.

The airline just tries to scare you in reality they never fire anyone for being sick.

Perhaps not, but there ARE some bad apples out there. I had one guy on the jumpseat that said, "I call in sick once a quarter whether I need to or not." Another captain told me, "last week I had that recurrent captain's eye disease--I just couldn't see going into work."

The problem with threads like this is that the *occasional* bad apple is ignored, while what most non-pilots would note is a reasonable mgmt concern is criticized.

I must emphasize that the number of bad apples is very slim. The bigger question is how do you allow mgmt to reasonablye deal with the small number of bad apples while not ever bearing down on someone who happens to be sick more than usual?

Latest resources

Back