Airline Pilot Attendance Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
trip said:
Pilots dont have a policy like that? Than whats that reliability report doing in your face every time you log on?

What reliability report ??? Don't click on it and that's the end of that.

Go to work = Fly airplanes. Save sick days until you need them or you retire. If you are 57 and have sick time, use it then. If you hate your job so much do something else. Then you will find out how great flying an airplane "for a paycheck" is. Notice I did not say "for a living"

Last edited:
trip said:
Pilots dont have a policy like that? Than whats that reliability report doing in your face every time you log on?

Once you look at it after the 1st of the month it disappears from the main page. There's no contract, so i'm not saying one should test the system by calling in sick all the time. From what I have heard the 8 and out policy for the FA's is because there were several of them calling in sick whenever they didn't feel like working or didn't get a day off they requested.

I've been sick/taken E leave 11 days in the last year.. 4 different occasions(two sinus explosions, 1 flu and one funeral).. per the reliability report the company average is 4.8 days. My sick/emergency leave bar is big and red and more than double the average and nobody has batted an eye so far.. I guess next time I call in sick they may ask for a doctors note.. I was thinking of just wandering up to the CPs office and blowing on my hanky.. takes just as much time as going to the doctor, but I dont have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment or fund the co-pay :p

fletch717 said:
love gun posted that at the 7th sick call in 12 months you will get fired. That equates to calling in sick every 45 days. I understand that children get sick and things happen, most companies will work with you and your family issues as long as you keep them in the loop. Arbitrarily calling out sick 4 or more times in one year is hard to defend.

Sorry, Fletch, I disagree.

Your sick time is a negotiated benefit. We gave up something to get that. It has a cost, and we have it for a reason. It is just not possible to bid for all time off a person needs, especially with a family. When I was a ramper at Fedex we got 4 personal days per year, which are paid days off, in addition to 4 sick calls. . . . that's as a ramper, for cryin' out loud.

I'm not talking about a rock concert here, or a golf outing. I'm talking about being sick, having a family member sick, or having something important enough to need the time off for . . . . how about a house closing, a crown falling out, a sick kid, or even - gasp - a commuting problem. Sorry . . . with no commuter policy in place, it is definitely "a bad burrito on the way to the airport".

When management realizes that our lack of a commuter policy- and the new policy of not allowing you to pick up your trip after a sick day day or two- are costing us money, they will change it. Unitl then, put me in the "4 a year club".

PS., at America West, if you don;t use your sick time each year, you lose it. They give you around 60 hours a year, and it is understood that you will use it . . . otherwise, it's just gone.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled douche-bag slamming . . . . where are ya, Chuckie Boy?

Last edited:
FlyboyPhil said:
I've been sick/taken E leave 11 days in the last year.. 4 different occasions(two sinus explosions, 1 flu and one funeral).. per the reliability report the company average is 4.8 days. My sick/emergency leave bar is big and red and more than double the average and nobody has batted an eye so far.. I guess next time I call in sick they may ask for a doctors note.. I was thinking of just wandering up to the CPs office and blowing on my hanky.. takes just as much time as going to the doctor, but I dont have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment or fund the co-pay :p

I'll see if I can't single handedly raise the company avg. I broke my ankle and will be out for about 4 months.

I agree Sick time is a negotiated benefit. The union traded something to the company for sick time. If you need to use your negotiated benefit then use it.
One persons Idea of being sick is not the same as anothers.

It is a benefit to be used. if you are out of sicktime and still need it then your outta luck.

Those that save sicktime un till they retire and then brag." i haven't used a sickday in 27 years"
Well shame on you for getting others sick. or your one healthy sun of a gun.
Bottom line is it is your benefit. like vacationpay, 401k, or pensions.

fletch717 said:
Arbitrarily calling out sick 4 or more times in one year is hard to defend.
Oh, you are so right. Illnesses must be scheduled at least 180 days in advance, and they may never number more than 3 per year, and they should never last more than 48 hours. Anyone that cannot conform to such a rigorous discipline of becoming sick has no business in this business. Having an illness at an arbitrary time is completely unprofessional.

Train your viruses, and whip those infections into shape. Quarantine yourself from your loved ones, if necessary, for the ultimate god of our being is The Company. We will have no sniffle before it's time.

Hey, fletch. When's your next cold scheduled?

:rolleyes:

A couple of thoughts:

- At SWA we have no sick leave policy for the pilots. Other groups do have a policy, but I guess that pilot's attendance is reliable enough without it.
- SWAPA has a charity fund to help folks who run out of sick trips.
- When I flew for the military I rarely got sick, now it seams like every spring my sinuses explode. I don't think it is our families (I had little kids in the military, bigger kids now) I think it is our jobs. We get exposed to incredible things in our travels and some of those things are viral.
- I make every effort to stay healthy, but I don't fly if I am even a little under the weather. Our jobs are too important

Good luck reversing/fighting this policy. I think it stinks.

Thanks for the input. ALPA is actually backing us on this one and we're getting some funding to fight the company. Watch for us in the papers.

Latest resources

Back