• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dennis Miller

What about my Member
Airline pension bill stalls in U.S. Senate

Tuesday October 4,4:45 pm ET

A bill that would give Northwest Airlines more time to fund its pension plans -- something the airline says it badly needs to restructure -- has stalled in the Senate, according to wire reports.

Reuters news service reported Tuesday that Sen. John Cornyn (GOP-Texas) had blocked the pension bill after hearing criticism of the plan from Texas-based airlines AMR Corp. (American Airlines) and Continental Airlines Inc.

Those airlines have charged that the bill would unfairly benefit companies that file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, as Eagan-based Northwest Airlines Corp. and Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc. did last month.

The Senate pension proposal would help distressed airlines by giving them 14 years to repair pension underfunding. Northwest and Delta Air Lines Inc. of Atlanta have lobbied in support of the bill.

so Dennis Miller are you still glad you voted for George bush. His latest is classic, pick some old women attorney from TX with no experience in being a judge to be the next supreme court justice. This guy is insane all he is good at doing is picking his drinking buddies to positions that don't have the experience for.

A vote for GW is a message that you are an idiot.

Jimdandy said:
so Dennis Miller are you still glad you voted for George bush. His latest is classic, pick some old women attorney from TX with no experience in being a judge to be the next supreme court justice. This guy is insane all he is good at doing is picking his drinking buddies to positions that don't have the experience for.

A vote for GW is a message that you are an idiot.

What does that have to do with the original post?

I enjoy snowboarding. Fresh tracks on a clean slope, first run of the day...

Err, was this thread about something?

I have a feeling that this bill isn't going to stop Delta or NW from dumping their pensions even if it passes. Then how long before AA and CAL are forced to dump their own? I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think this bill is gonna fix much.

I agree. First Delta and NW wanted atleast 20 years to make up the payments, and lately they have said they NEEDED 25 years. I think they wanted to dump them all along. Atleast 2500 of our captains got out with a lump sum check. I hope they spend it wisely.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
I agree. First Delta and NW wanted atleast 20 years to make up the payments, and lately they have said they NEEDED 25 years. I think they wanted to dump them all along. Atleast 2500 of our captains got out with a lump sum check. I hope they spend it wisely.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah, like on beer, naked girls, green fees, a big boat (car, bike, airplane) and a giant doobie!:D

NOT, on your wife(s), past or present, nice clothes, your spoiled brat kids, airline tickets, anything to do with your union, or any PAC or political party.:puke:

Good luck! :beer: I'm jealous.

Dennis Miller said:
Airline pension bill stalls in U.S. Senate

Tuesday October 4,4:45 pm ET

A bill that would give Northwest Airlines more time to fund its pension plans -- something the airline says it badly needs to restructure -- has stalled in the Senate, according to wire reports.

Reuters news service reported Tuesday that Sen. John Cornyn (GOP-Texas) had blocked the pension bill after hearing criticism of the plan from Texas-based airlines AMR Corp. (American Airlines) and Continental Airlines Inc.

Those airlines have charged that the bill would unfairly benefit companies that file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, as Eagan-based Northwest Airlines Corp. and Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc. did last month.

The Senate pension proposal would help distressed airlines by giving them 14 years to repair pension underfunding. Northwest and Delta Air Lines Inc. of Atlanta have lobbied in support of the bill.

Good for Cornyn.

jtf said:
I have a feeling that this bill isn't going to stop Delta or NW from dumping their pensions even if it passes. Then how long before AA and CAL are forced to dump their own? I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think this bill is gonna fix much.

My pension is gone (A plan is frozen), after 34 yrs with CO it will pay me only $2000/mo in the year 2021.

So my airline has already delt with the issue!

Latest resources

Back