• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Pay cuts driving away best pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes, it is. I am not aware of a professional that does not want to do better though. I think $75k and $150k is a good STARTING point.

I think that $250k a year would be just fine for all doctors to make, don't you?! They on't deserve to make all that money. Wait, now I sound like a socialemocrat.

Yes they do.
Think of the asset that you manage. Now take a small jet say a RJ~ 35-40 million dollar asset. A narrow body jet 50 million. A International wide body jet 250-300 million. These jets are a huge asset/liability that we manage.
Now go to any other career field and see what a president of a BU (Business Until, not even the company president makes managing a like asset.
I will save you the work. Double to triple what a 777 CA makes for a mere 30 million dollar asset all they way to over a million dollars a year for a 300 million dollar asset. We are so underpaid it is not even funny.
Top it off that mistakes are fatal not only to us, but to the lives behind us, and those on the ground. Add to that what it does to the companies reputation. With this amount of responsibility comes pay, and benefits commensurate to the level of said responsibility.

The guys making 150K a year are the assistant sales managers. (They manage no assets, and maybe five people)~This is about the responsibility level of an FO.

Still way too many 20-something CFI's chasing the dream. 80k? 60k? Sounds great when you're living in your parents' basement making two grand a month. Supply still outpaces demand.

It will until 2012. Then everyone will be in deep doo doo. The airline's answer to this is a MPL (Multi Pilot License) That just lowers the bar and confirms what Sully's fears our.
We as a collective group need to fight for this never to happen in the US. It is in essence a Captain flight instructing full time.

Sadly, the flying public doesn't care who flies the plane or what they get paid and they probably never will. A major event like this gets their attention for a couple of days but in the end they just want cheap tickets.

They will when you see a hull loss a week. For your information that was predicted to happen about 2015.

Latest resources

Back