• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Mergers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a result, it [Delta]features prominently in most consolidation scenarios concocted by industry insiders and shareholders alike.
Bye Bye--General Lee

Figuring prominently is one thing, domnating and dictating all terms 100% are quite another. All that article says is t hat if there's mergers that are going to happen among legacy airlines, Delta is the airline most definately that's going to be involved. It says nothing about Delta being so strong they do what's necessary to liquidate the second largest airline in the country.

NOPE!! NEVER!:confused: Would have been smart after merging with Western, but the "Good Ole Boys" felt there was NO MONEY to be made out west?:rolleyes: HUGE MISTAKE!!

I have a Delta timetable from the mid-90's with service to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Tapei, Seoul, and Nagoya.

Now that the experts believe consolidation is about to happen. Lets have fun with a few potential combinations!

1. Delta will strike a deal with United. New name will be Delta Airlines. Hubs will be JFK, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Fransico. Widebody fleet the same. Delta Atlantic routes fit well with United's Pacific routes.

2. US Airways will strike a deal with Northwest. New name will be US Airways. Hubs will be Philadephia, Charlotte, Detroit, MSP, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. Both carriers large Airbus operators. Airbus widebody fleet. US Airways growing Atlantic routes fit well with Northwest's Pacific routes.

3. Continental will strike a deal with Alaska and AirTran. New name will be Continental Airlines. Hubs will be Newark, Atlanta, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Fransico, and Houston. With the new caps on Newark, Atlanta will be domestic relief and feed up and down the east coast. Seattle and Alaska will feed the Pacific routes. Continental strong across the Atlantic and established pacific routes through micronesia.

4. Jetblue will strike a deal with Frontier, Spirit, and Virgin America. New Name will be Virgin America. Hubs will be JFK, Denver, San Fransico, Ft Lauderdale, and Long Beach. Will feed Virgin Atlantic internationally.

5. American will stay American

6. Southwest will remain Southwest

Well these are predicitons just for fun. What are some of yours? Have fun with it folks. Please keep your seniority intergrations out of this.

Easy, almost being bought by US Airways raised the General's blood pressure. Having us snag Northwest away would surely send him over the edge.:rolleyes:

Figuring prominently is one thing, domnating and dictating all terms 100% are quite another. All that article says is t hat if there's mergers that are going to happen among legacy airlines, Delta is the airline most definately that's going to be involved. It says nothing about Delta being so strong they do what's necessary to liquidate the second largest airline in the country.

That was a rumor by a United pilot. Maybe Tilton sees the writing on the wall and wants to cash out. I don't know. And, I didn't write that Delta article, but it puts Delta up there as pretty important in deciding the final shakeup and molding of future fleets.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Easy, almost being bought by US Airways raised the General's blood pressure. Having us snag Northwest away would surely send him over the edge.:rolleyes:

What a mess that would be.

Bye Bye--General Lee

i think AMR is just trying to make DAL pay more for NWA than they would otherwise pay...

Credit Suisse upgrades Northwest on possible deal with Delta, AMR counter offer

NEW YORK, Jan 14, 2008
-- Analysts at Credit Suisse on Monday upgraded Northwest Airlines Corp. to outperform from neutral, seeing "a high probability" of a merger involving Delta Air Lines Inc.
The analysts also see a likely counter offer for Northwest from AMR Corp., operator of American Airlines, the largest U.S.-based carrier by traffic, and the possibility of a sale of Northwest to Continental Airlines Inc.

"The implication to our revised thesis is that while Delta is likely the first mover in industry M&A, it may not be the final mover and hence believe there is a material probability it may not participate in industry M&A, or, be forced to overpay," Credit Suisse said. If Continental preempts Delta to combine with UAL Corp., and AMR successfully outbids Delta for Northwest, "Delta is at risk of still being the odd carrier out (under which scenario, we would expect it to reconsider its stance on US Airways)."

The analysts said there is a 50% probability that a potential Delta announcement could pan out in the coming weeks given the high stakes and urgency.

Credit Suisse also said, in bidding for Northwest, AMR had nothing to lose "by making a deal [that could prove quite damaging to AMR's own interests over the long-term] more expensive for a potentially formidable competitor." Padraic Cassidy pc/vj

Last edited:
I think USAIR and NWA makes the most sense as far as fleets and structure. I anticipate this being a big fight between the big 5 carriers. Get the popcorn. One thing is for SURE though, General Lee is the lead cheerleader for DAL. RAH RAH RAH GL ;)

I think USAIR and NWA makes the most sense as far as fleets and structure. I anticipate this being a big fight between the big 5 carriers. Get the popcorn. One thing is for SURE though, General Lee is the lead cheerleader for DAL. RAH RAH RAH GL ;)

Thanks for that title of lead chearleader (?). I am just giving my opinion backed up by some articles. I think there are some better choices than others out there, and I know I have no say in the matter. Regardless, this is an opinion forum and I will continue to give mine, no doubt. I still think DL/NWA have the highest probability thanks to Anderson knowing everyone at NWA, and the fact that both are Skyteam members with friends in high places (AF and KLM). I don't see a USAir and DL merge ever--thanks to huge overlap of hubs. Again, I still think DL/NWA, UAL/CAL, and the others scrambling.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Now that the experts believe consolidation is about to happen. Lets have fun with a few potential combinations!

1. Delta will strike a deal with United. New name will be Delta Airlines. Hubs will be JFK, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Fransico. Widebody fleet the same. Delta Atlantic routes fit well with United's Pacific routes.

2. US Airways will strike a deal with Northwest. New name will be US Airways. Hubs will be Philadephia, Charlotte, Detroit, MSP, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. Both carriers large Airbus operators. Airbus widebody fleet. US Airways growing Atlantic routes fit well with Northwest's Pacific routes.

3. Continental will strike a deal with Alaska and AirTran. New name will be Continental Airlines. Hubs will be Newark, Atlanta, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Fransico, and Houston. With the new caps on Newark, Atlanta will be domestic relief and feed up and down the east coast. Seattle and Alaska will feed the Pacific routes. Continental strong across the Atlantic and established pacific routes through micronesia.

4. Jetblue will strike a deal with Frontier, Spirit, and Virgin America. New Name will be Virgin America. Hubs will be JFK, Denver, San Fransico, Ft Lauderdale, and Long Beach. Will feed Virgin Atlantic internationally.

5. American will stay American

6. Southwest will remain Southwest

Well these are predicitons just for fun. What are some of yours? Have fun with it folks. Please keep your seniority intergrations out of this.

NWA and SWA work together to acquire Airtran, NWA takes the 717's SWA takes the 737's. They split the rest of the assets. NWA fully acquires Midwest and uses all the acquired 717's to replace the DC-9's. After this NWA acquires/merges with Frontier for the A320's and the Denver Base.

Here's my hypothetical merger scenario.
anyone else?

Latest resources

Back