Airline Med Exams

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JSky26

I have a 1st class medical with no restrictions. I do have a SODA for my visual acuity. My best corrected distant vision in my left eye is 20/25. My near vision in my left eye is 20/20 and my vision in my right eye is 20/20. I know it is pretty messed up. I had a lazy eye when I was a kid and which had me legally blind in my left eye. Made a miraculous recovery to follow my dream of flying professionally.
My question is, will this bar me from flying profressionally with a regional and eventually a major? Can the company doc disqualify me even though the FAA says I have a 1st class with no restrictions?

Any companys out there that do not allow SODAs of any kind or is this just a case to case basis.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For flying in the US, you're in luck, unless you want to work at American. Most US airlines do not have a "company doc," as they accept the FAA medical.

For flying outside the US, then it's more uncertain, as medical requirements in Europe and parts of Asia are much more stringent than the US.

Does that stand for something Stifler's Mom?? I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

Resocha, In that case I probably wouldn't get hired at American even if I had the competitive times and they were looking for pilots?

JSky26 said:
:) Haha, thanks for the positive encouragement

Don't laugh, I 'know' someone who has used it before.

Eventually, you'll find an AME with an exam machine that you can easily read - even if it's not a DEFPOTEC eye chart. When you find him/her, hang onto them for as long as you can...

~wheelsup

Note: said AME will probably be doing exams in a hanger or other aviation establishment. Look for those first!

Latest resources

Back