Airline Flying: just a job after a while

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My view....

No other office job will give you the window view like this one everyday. There's something peaceful about the view above the clouds.....like sailing.....all of life's worries will be left behind.

If you think of this as just a job, you won't enjoy it. I'm here because I really enjoyed flying. My thoughts were occupied with flying when I was in the Medical field. So, I gave it a try and haven't turned back since. Just follow your heart....

It's a job...

Maybe my views are a little different than those of other pilots, but I've never considered my current position or my previous corporate flying as anything more than just a job. I think initially I was drawn into flying as being 'fun', but it hasn't been that way in a long time. Flying for a large carrier is a great way to make outstanding money (assuming you can keep your medical and don't bust any checks) and have a ton of time off. You'll hear a lot of guys here say "this is the best part-time job I've ever had". It's true.

There will be those out there that will say that I can't last in this occupation because I don't consider it a religous experience. I doubt it. My current income and future earnings potential coupled with outstanding benefits and a solid retirement program mean I'll be here for the long term. Throw into the mix the obscene amount of time off and this is a really good gig. Assuming the company never goes belly-up, improvements in our contract will make it even better over time.

Flying doesn't define who I am or what I am. It's a way to make a decent living in a professional occupation and have more time with the family doing the things that I enjoy.

If you're the type of person that flies for money and pleasure, instructs, has all the ratings, aerobatics, sailplanes, etc. More power to you; the world needs folks like that. It's just not me.

Fly safe.

Your heart has to be in it

I hope to retire soon after 22 years in the military and hope to keep flying until I kick the bucket. I have my fingers crossed that the Air Force will release me and my number at comes up at SWA before they quit hiring. If you are asking the question whether flying is just a job, it probably will be for you. As long as I can remember, I have always dreamed of flying. I cannot imagine doing anything else and have never regretted my decision to be a pilot. Anything else would be just a job. I look forward to going to work each day (if I am on the flying schedule anyway). I agree with everyone else who said that it will be what you make of it. I am embarrassed to use the expression (please don't tell anyone I did) but you have to follow your heart. Good luck
Boots

Beeks,

I've got 8,000 reasons why I'm glad I didn't have to "pay" for my job/type rating and went with FedEx instead!!!

Talk about drinking the "LUV coolaid" and begging for seconds!!

Ouch!! that's gotta sting in the wallet!!

Keep patting yourselves on the back and believing good ol' Herb is looking out for your best interests. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SWA management come running to the bargaining table with briefcases full of money when you guys asked for a raise before Sept 11th? No, you bet that didn't
happen.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No Boobie 50's for Speedracer

See FedEx Vs SWA post if you want to understand my joke. But seriously speedy, while ol Herb maybe frugal at least he is not trying to extend crew days longer than 8 hours. I guess Fred thinks that is in your best interests.
Mozam is just pointing out that there is a different mentality in the SWA crowd - I guess you just proved it eight thousand times.

I was furloughed in January and miss everything about the job. I definately need a fix.

I have been involved in aviation since I was a kid, and am now 40. Aviation has always been a large part of my life, my passion.

I have recently interviewed with an airline and I am praying that I can get back in the saddle. If you have the passion, you will continue finding a way to a flightdeck job and will always enjoy it (at least for this 40 year old)! The road is seldom straight, look for opportunities at every turn.:)

After my first airline flight of IOE, which was my first flight in 9 months, I felt the same excitement I did on my first solo. The cabin cheered as we landed. Every leg people were getting off the plane thrilled with their jetBlue experience. One little girl drew a picture "To the Piolet [sic]." (It was a jetBlue plane flying under a rainbow.) I couldn't stop grinning. Can you believe they pay us to have this much fun? After four hops we did a Cat III autoland into a very foggy JFK.

I'm sure every day won't be that much fun or as exciting, but if you are working for a good company with visionary leadership and great working conditions, your chances are greatly improved. I'm thankful every day that I have the opportunity to fly for this company.

After 20 years in the AF I did a lot of soul searching about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Ask yourself this question, "If you could do ANY job in the world, what job would you want to do?" The answer for me was "airline pilot," so it was pretty handy that I had the qualifications to be hired by an airline. I may be drunk on blue Kool-aid, but I don't know of a better job than to fly for jetBlue.

"ivauir"

Herb K. and Fred Smith are probably golfing buddies for all I know - which doesn't surprise me about the 8-24 (just another ploy to screw with the pilots). I am just a number on a sheet of paper to Fred S. - nothing more.....I know he's absolutly, positively NOT looking out for "my best interests".....it's business, plain and simple......

Question? How would the SWA group respond if/when Herb K. asks for the same 8-24 extension?

You can't honestly say you'll agree to it OR Herb is such a great guy he would never ask soo much from his crewforce.......

Have you paid off your loan for that type rating yet!!!:p

Last edited:
>>I should look into airline management instead while flying as a hobby?<<

Two words: BAD ADVISE!

If you want to go into management, pick just about any industry other than the airlines. I have many friends in management at several airlines and they all work long hours, often 5 ½ to 6 days a week and make about half what an airline captain makes. They are usually strung along with profit sharing and or stock options that rarely pay off except for the hand full of big dogs at the very top. Few make it to the end, leaving the industry in their 40’s or 50’s angry, disillusioned and hating pilots.

As a pilot, you can make more money and have a lot more days off. With that you can always go out and fly something you consider “fun” for a hobby.

And always remember: if it flies or floats, it’s cheaper to rent :)

Latest resources

Back