• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aircraft has slid off runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Until then, dont second guess the SWA pilots or anyone for that matter as that is truly unprofessional and rude.

You think thats bad....make sure you don't swear or else Guitar rocker = Flightinfo.com professional standards (want-to-be) will jump all over your a$$. His favorite word is "unprofessional". But it seems he doesn't like my favorite word.:smash:

Moderator reviewed. Ignorant, but charming. It'll stay for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
LJ-ABX said:
As a profession pilot you will be expected to land with fair and poor braking action reports whenever it is safe to do so. You can't just refuse to land everytime you get a fair or poor braking action report.
As a profession pilot?

Hahahaha :D

Hvy, TR4A, SWA/FO, and LJ-ABX--

Between the four of you I wanna hear at least one say "I would have opted to divert."

C'mon.

SWA/FO said:
You think thats bad....make sure you don't swear or else Guitar rocker = Flightinfo.com professional standards (want-to-be) will jump all over your a$$. His favorite word is "unprofessional". But it seems he doesn't like my favorite word.:smash:

Waaa waaa waaa. Well there SWA/FO, are you being a sore loser here? I would say that I struck a nerve and your a little upset now that someone spanked you here. You can swear and cuss all you want.....I could care less. Sport, your problem is that YOU have a tendency to direct your filth at people here and it's getting old. You have previously said that "your all dicks" and lets just recap your other comment that you directed towards people here..........

"Well we don't want his ass. He can go ****himself. So can the rest of you folks that have taken the time on this board to take cheap shots at Southwest."

Thats REAL nice kid. Even the moderator HAD to replace your cheap profanity with asterisks. Moderator, put this kid on the bench for a few weeks. It wouldnt be fair for others who have been in the box for the same thing if this kid doesnt sit there for a bit too. He can eat his gerber baby food on the bench and think about it.

Last edited:
ultrarunner said:
It's OK to place a higher level of safety than what the book says. Ask the ATA guys that bolted that night and went elsewhere.

SWA is authorized lower landing minimums for 31C than ATA. That could have had something to do with ATA's diversions, as well.

9GClub said:
Between the four of you I wanna hear at least one say "I would have opted to divert."

I wasn't there so I can't tell you what I would have done. 20/20 hindsight, however, is not particularly helpful.

LJ-ABX said:
"fair to poor" is not a propper braking action report. It was fair for the first two-thirds of the runway and poor for the last one-third.

As a profession pilot you will be expected to land with fair and poor braking action reports whenever it is safe to do so. You can't just refuse to land everytime you get a fair or poor braking action report.

I should have been more specific. If the ALD does not exceed my required landing distance for a contaminated runway by a considerable margin I am going elsewhere with a Fair to Poor report.

In all honesty I would have landed just as they did I think. But in hindsight no way.

I will keep this incident in mind this winter. My point was simply that we all should do the same.

SkyBoy1981 said:
Ah, I see. That 5826 figure is based on landing just beyond the threshold according to the 10-9A. A landing beyond the glideslope (around the 1000ft markers) would leave an available landing distance of about 4900', which is probably a more realistic figure given the weather conditions. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Landing distance for aircraft is figured with crossing the threshold at Vref and at 50ft. That is where the Reference of Zero starts. So the stopping distance factors in 1000'(theoretically sp?) of air time, this is the distance to cross the threshold and touchdown on the touchdown markers.

"I find it hard to believe that any airline pilot would knowingly land in such a tailwind under any conditions, and most certainly not at Midway on a slippery runway," Tom Bunn, a retired captain who flew for United Airlines and Pan Am for 30 years told the Chicago Tribune.

I'm not trying to throw another log on the fire, but while reading the news tonight I stumbled across this comment by a retired United Captain. Even I thought it was a little weird that he would make this comment to the media.

I has been interesting reading all of your comments regarding airline operations, thanks for the educaiton.

LJ-ABX said:
SWA is authorized lower landing minimums for 31C than ATA. That could have had something to do with ATA's diversions, as well.
Stop creating 'facts'. Discussion of this accident is prurient at best, libelous when you start making stuff up.

ATA has the same landing minimums for 31C as SWA (DA 817 3000 RVR). At least three of our flights diverted in the minutes prior to the crash because they couldn't land 31C given the braking action and tailwind. All had requested 13C and were denied by ATC. One crew was told '31C would be the only runway available "all night'. They then diverted. I don't know what input the crew used in order to make their decision to land. Neither do you. STFU.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back