Aircraft has slid off runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Developments?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0512110438dec11,1,5398944.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Stuck jet switch cited in accident

Pilots' efforts to stop plane were delayed, investigators say

By Jon Hilkevitch, Tribune transportation reporter. Tribune staff reporters Brendan McCarthy, Lisa Fleisher, Jonathon E. Briggs and Dave Wischnowsky contributed to this report
Published December 11, 2005

Vital seconds were lost while trying to bring a Southwest Airlines plane to a halt on a slick runway at Midway Airport because a balky switch delayed deployment of devices that reverse the thrust of the jet's powerful engines, investigators said Saturday.

In the first account by the pilots of the Thursday night accident, the captain of Southwest Flight 1248 told investigators the flight from Baltimore was "completely normal" until he landed the plane at the Southwest Side airport.

A control on the throttle to activate the twin-engine plane's thrust reversers would not slide into place, the 59-year-old veteran pilot told investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board.

At that point, the first officer in the right seat of the cockpit leaned over and was able to deploy the thrust reversers while the captain applied full braking power to try stopping the plane.

The thrust reversers redirect engine power forward to slow the aircraft, and work in conjunction with automatic brakes that investigators said activated immediately upon landing the 737-700. Flaps on the wings, called spoilers, also help kill speed. Investigators say the spoilers were working.

When the captain saw that they were running out of runway, he also used his brake pedals to provide extra stopping power, said Robert Benzon, the investigator in charge.

The captain told safety board investigators he was concerned about the weather in Chicago, but was unaware of the "unique weather phenomenon" that was occurring around them. National Weather Service forecasters told the safety board that an "enhanced snowbank" was coming into the Chicago area at the same time the plane was flying toward the Midwest.

Officials are not releasing the pilots' names.

Visibility was about two-thirds the length of the runway at Midway when Flight 1248 descended through low-hanging clouds, and the flashing lights of the airfield below became visible in the blowing snow, according to new data received Saturday.

Working backward from Thursday night, when the aircraft smashed through an airfield barrier and rammed vehicles on Central Avenue, investigators have sifted through data from the cockpit and flight recorders, air-traffic radar and weather advisories to create a second-by-second chronology.

One major unanswered question is where the plane, gaining speed due to a tailwind, touched down in the landing zone on the first third of the 6,522-foot runway.

The plane needed to land within about the first 2,170 feet of the runway to stop on the snow-slicked surface, which was rated "fair" to "poor" for aircraft-braking ability by the pilot who landed several minutes in front of Flight 1248, transportation officials said.

Investigators still want to know whether the plane crossed the runway threshold at the correct altitude and speed--or if it was too high and too fast--and how much those factors reduced the pilots' ability to bring the aircraft to a safe stop.

Joshua Woods, 6, was killed, and his parents, Leroy and Lisa, and two brothers were injured when their car was crushed by the plane. Their attorney Ronald Stearney said Leroy Woods was released Saturday from Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. He said Leroy Woods suffered one fracture at the back of his skull and four under his right eye.

Steven Peters, Joshua Woods' uncle, said the family's main focus is now on preparing to bury Joshua. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Saturday's snowfall and weather conditions, although drastically less threatening than Thursday's conditions, contributed to many airline delays and cancellations at both Chicago airports.

At Midway, Southwest Airlines had canceled all flights by about 6 p.m. Saturday, said company spokeswoman Linda Rutherford. She said Thursday's crash did not factor into the company's decision.

"For our type of operations, the airport went below minimums [in visibility]," Rutherford said. "On Thursday ... it was not below our minimum visibility."

Rich Brumer, a meteorologist in the National Weather Service office in Romeoville, said Saturday's conditions were more conducive to airplane travel.

"The temperature is about the same, but the snowfall is much less," Brumer said. "The winds are a little stronger, but visibility and the ceiling is much better."

As of 7 p.m. Saturday, the Chicago Department of Aviation said about 60 Midway flights had been canceled and at least seven flights diverted elsewhere because of poor weather conditions and only one operable runway.

On average, Midway has about 300 departures a day.

At O'Hare, United Airlines and American Airlines reported delays of up to 90 minutes and at least six cancellations.

Meanwhile, the Federal Aviation Administration worked Saturday to replace an aircraft-guidance antenna that was knocked out during the crash. The equipment, which guides planes down a glide path to the airport, is needed before the runway on which the accident occurred, 31 Center, can be reopened. The runway was expected to be back in service Sunday.

Mayor Richard Daley said Saturday that he did not want to examine the idea of expanding runway safety areas at Midway until the board completes its investigation.

"This airport has been very safe. Southwest Airlines has been a safe company," Daley said at a news conference.

Daley sought to reassure residents living around the airport that the area is safe.

"They've lived there for so many years and there's not been many accidents," he said. "More people are killed on expressways, so would we shut down expressways?"

----------

[email protected]

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune

Inferences......

I didn't say anything about the pilots, I just said that the plane shouldn't have landed. Since it's ultimately their call, maybe I am criticizing them.

I don't even have my private ticket yet, and I agree that I shouldn't be given the time of day by most of you guys, but I will speak my mind. Don't confuse that with arrogance, because arrogant I'm certainly not.

I have no clue about how landing distances are calculated using different variables (if somebody could enlighten me I'd appreciate it), but if the figures assume that the reversers are fully functional (I don't think they do but I could be wrong), they should probably be revamped. As pilots we're trained to plan for contingencies, and when you're landing on a 6522' ice rink with a tailwind, you'd better have your contingency plan(s) in place.

9GClub said:
I didn't say anything about the pilots, I just said that the plane shouldn't have landed. Since it's ultimately their call, maybe I am criticizing them.

I don't even have my private ticket yet, and I agree that I shouldn't be given the time of day by most of you guys, but I will speak my mind. Don't confuse that with arrogance, because arrogant I'm certainly not.

I have no clue about how landing distances are calculated using different variables (if somebody could enlighten me I'd appreciate it), but if the figures assume that the reversers are fully functional (I don't think they do but I could be wrong), they should probably be revamped. As pilots we're trained to plan for contingencies, and when you're landing on a 6522' ice rink with a tailwind, you'd better have your contingency plan(s) in place.

Your not criticizing the pilots and yet you say the plane it'self shouldnt have landed there. Mmmm. I am not saying that you are arrogant. But for anyone to second guess the SWA pilots or anyone for that matter is unprofessional and lacking ediquette. The facts are not all known at this time and as a result, it's not fair to critize, place blame on anyone or suggest that they should have done it differently. Remember, this could have happened to anyone one of us.

TR4A, I know you're disgusted with my lack of a clue, but can you answer a question for me? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but I am curious....

Would you have tried to land on that runway? You've got a lot of flight time, I respect your experience, and I'd like some insights from someone who knows what they're talking about. Anybody else with 737 time please chip in, I can't imagine that you guys are still thinking that was a piece of cake.

9G,

I believe that you are suffering from confirmation bias. You already know that the aircraft overran the runway and ended up in the street so you focus in on the information which shows that it was a difficult landing. The real question is if you would have made the same call before the landing was attempted?

One thing is for sure, if I ever hear a "fair to poor" braking report I am going elsewhere. Period. Thanks to the SWA crew for this object lesson. I think we can all use the horrible circumstances these poor guys dealt with as a learning tool.

I really hope the crew is vindicated.

LegacyDriver said:
One thing is for sure, if I ever hear a "fair to poor" braking report I am going elsewhere. Period. Thanks to the SWA crew for this object lesson. I think we can all use the horrible circumstances these poor guys dealt with as a learning tool.

I really hope the crew is vindicated.

Don't plan on flying in the Northeast corridor January-Feb. Fair to poor is not an uncommon report. All variables must be taken into account (wind direction/speed, runway length, equipment/crew limitations, OPSPECS, to name a few).

LegacyDriver said:
if I ever hear a "fair to poor" braking report

"fair to poor" is not a propper braking action report. It was fair for the first two-thirds of the runway and poor for the last one-third.

As a profession pilot you will be expected to land with fair and poor braking action reports whenever it is safe to do so. You can't just refuse to land everytime you get a fair or poor braking action report.

LJ-ABX said:
As a profession pilot you will be expected to land with fair and poor braking action reports whenever it is safe to do so. You can't just refuse to land everytime you get a fair or poor braking action report.

And with adequate runway lenghts that provided adequate safety margins, I'm all for it.

From what I have read on the reported conditions, 31C would not have been adequate for me that night, but it was for others.

It's OK to place a higher level of safety than what the book says. Ask the ATA guys that bolted that night and went elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back