• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airbus v. Boeing

• Airbus

Votes: 48 19.7%
  • Boeing

Votes: 196 80.3%

• Total voters
Having a huge majority of my flight time in fly by wire airplanes, I have never seen the system do anything other than what was advertised. In fact, not only have I never seen it but the flight control system has never failed in the life of the F-16. It is an outstanding system and it may not have any manual reversion but it is quadrupal redundant. Every once in a while an over eager Lt will put a Viper out of control by assaulting the limiters in both pitch and bank at the same time. I doubt this is a problem in the Airbus because they don't do a lot of BFM. I have also never seen or heard of any problems in the black jet either.

And the side stick...believe me, once you've flown with a side stick, it is hard to go to anything else. An old F-16 friend of mine now flies an Airbus (too bad he's furloughed) and told me he always had a hard time not aerobraking on landing because it was just the natural thing to do with a sidestick. Cool airplanes have sticks and awesome airplanes have sidesticks.

Lockheed. Plows through the bumps at .84 while those lightweight Boeings and Airbuses are slowing down and reporting moderate turbulence. :)

However, like Aerosmith said,

Point is, I will fly any of them and will do it with a big grin on my face.

Amen to that. It beats working for a living.

Da Bus Baby!!

Having flown DC-9's and C-141's and the back of a 727 to compare with, I have to admit the A300 or 310 are pretty good airplanes.

As long as another tail doesn't freakin fall off.........

The pay is pretty good flying the "widebody" bus......

Adios,

Just a gut feeling and with no time in the Airbus, it is worth as much as the paper it is printed on.

Gotta love the Boeing. Only flew the 3-holer but loved every minute. Don't like the rumors that I've about the computers and their logic overrulling that of the pilot's BUT I am sure that if I went through systems training and actually flew the airplane, I would become an enthusiastic Airbusser.

As said before, I would fly them all with a smile on my face.

Grolsch Beer says "You never forget your first girl." How true. Probably always prefer the stuff from Seattle but not necessarily for the right reasons.

absolutely NO manual reversion available

This is a common misconception, but I believe in the case of total electrical/computer failure, there is limited manual reversion - just elevator trim and rudder. Have fun, but you could probably survive it.

Patmack18 said:
And Airbus isn't soley built by the French, it's a European Consolodation. The different components are built all over Europe. Just like Boeing.

True, Airbus is a consortium, and because of that, it cannot produce a failed product, since it receives government subsidies. Boeing has produced several planes that they bet the house on (747, 777, 757/767). If the products failed, so would have the company. That's what causes the motivation to produce such excellent products. Airbus doesn't have to worry about taking a risk with the A380, since if the program fails, the governments involved will just write the expense off.

If it ain't Boeing I ain't going!!!

I love the Boeing products. First jet was a 727, enjoyed the next generation 737-800, and still think the 757 is about the nicest plane ever made.

I have heard the guys that fly the Airbus like it so I guess to each thier own.

AAflyer

P.S. I will put my typing skills up against any Airbus pilot:D

Boeing, I don't care if the bus does have triple dissimilar redundency, I just don't trust a system that depends upon electrons. They have a tendency to turn into queertrons at the worst possible time. I would really like to see manual reversion for the FADECs as well as the manual rudder and elevator trim.

I have discussed this with jumpseating bus drivers, and have been told that it is possible to land the bus after the loss of all flight control computers. NWA pilots relate that they only train to use manual reversion until they can regain the computers, while Cactus pilots have said that they actually train to make full manual approachs to a landing.

I still think that I'd be happier trusting my life to skydrol instead of electrons.

regards,
8N

A couple of things about the Airbusses I dont like, albeit minor...

Youre all cruising along, cockpit's all quiet, and the F/As call the flight deck - that loud-a$$ buzzer about sends me thru the circuit panel over the jumpseat every time

And, couldnt they have chosen a nicer voice for the RETARD calls? Some cute little monique or something :)

Latest resources

Back