Airbus v. Boeing

• Airbus

Votes: 48 19.7%
  • Boeing

Votes: 196 80.3%

• Total voters
SennaP1 said:
Hey Everybody,
I'm always defending the Airbus among my CFI friends, they all seem to be Anti-Airbus. Yes, we all have seen the Air France A320, the soft-limits, the weird noises (whatever that means), yada yada yada. I thought I'd take it to a higher audience what do you guys/gals think and why. Airbus or Boeing?

My vote is Airbus

WHY do you like Airbus? Because it's European like the car your daddy bought you?

It's FRENCH, when was the last time you saw a NICE FRENCH car?

Rush Limbaugh said:
Having a huge majority of my flight time in fly by wire airplanes, I have never seen the system do anything other than what was advertised. In fact, not only have I never seen it but the flight control system has never failed in the life of the F-16. It is an outstanding system and it may not have any manual reversion but it is quadrupal redundant. Every once in a while an over eager Lt will put a Viper out of control by assaulting the limiters in both pitch and bank at the same time. I doubt this is a problem in the Airbus because they don't do a lot of BFM. I have also never seen or heard of any problems in the black jet either.

The F-16 had a problem with wire chafing in the early days and there is at least one crash of an F-117 related to a clog in the pitot system confusing the computers. I don't claim to be an expert in either subject, however.

And the YF-22 prototype... but I think that probably doesn't count.

anyway, I don't think it would be in such widespread use if it wasn't pretty damn good.

michael707767 said:
Having never flown an Airbus, I won't comment on the airplanes themselves. I will say this, Airbus has an advantage in coorporate culture. Airbus as a company seems willing to invest in the future, develop new airplanes, provide good customer service, and basically do whatever it takes to get the customer and keep the customer happy. Boeing has not developed a new airplane since the 777, and despite all the talk of the sonic cruiser and a more efficient 250 seater, I'll believe it when I see it. McDonnell Douglas got into the rut of continually updating an old design. At some point, you can't overcome the fact that you are selling a 40 year old design. I think Boeing is heading down that path, and if they are not careful, it will be the death of Boeing Airliners.

Do what it takes to keep the customer happy? You DID see what Singapore Airlines did with their continued delay of their A380 order? Along with that, Quantas and other airlines followed suit. Overall, Airbus took a 15 billion hit with their delays and promises of that A380.........oops, lets not forget that new A350 which is now going to take at least a few year hit in it's attempt to compete with the 787. And there are partners in Airbus that want out as well.

Perhaps Boeing will go through the same pains in it's promised delivery dates of it's new 787....time will tell. I think that the smaller but much more efficient aircraft is the way to go. So many airports out there can handle these types of aircraft....not so for that A380. Even the A340 is going to become an aircraft of the past.... this day and age, who wants a plane that has 4 engines when you could have a 777 with 2 engines that can fly even further than that A340? So much for any cost savings when yah got two more engines out there that are drinking fuel and need to be maintained as well.

Airbus had better do something quickly to keep it's customers happy. It will cost them one way or another at this point.

Last edited:
Guitar rocker said:
Do what it takes to keep the customer happy? You DID see what Singapore Airlines did with their continued delay of their A380 order? Along with that, Quantas and other airlines followed suit. Overall, Airbus took a 15 billion hit with their delays and promises of that A380.........oops, lets not forget that new A350 which is now going to take at least a few year hit in it's attempt to compete with the 787. And there are partners in Airbus that want out as well.

Uhh... I think that guy wrote his comment 4 yrs ago (the thread is from '02).

Airbus are short term aircraft. Boeing are long-term aircraft. How many 20 year old Airbus planes do you see flying? There are a lot of classic 74's still going and even DC-8's still flying. Airbus's crap out after a few years because they are not designed for the long haul. They are disposable airplanes.

Junkflyer said:
Airbus are short term aircraft. Boeing are long-term aircraft. How many 20 year old Airbus planes do you see flying? There are a lot of classic 74's still going and even DC-8's still flying. Airbus's crap out after a few years because they are not designed for the long haul. They are disposable airplanes.

FedEx has quite a few that were built in the early 80's.

wrxpilot said:
Uhh... I think that guy wrote his comment 4 yrs ago (the thread is from '02).

LOL...nice!

I work for an airline based out of DEN that recently transitioned to an all Airbus fleet. We fly 318/319 and will soon be getting 320's...there were previously a few 737's in the fleet. The pilots, mechanics, and engineers all seem to like the Airbus products a lot better (yes, I did some asking around). Biggest thing that the pilots mentioned was that they liked not having to do differences training.

(personally, I like looking out the window and seeing the little animals painted on the winglets :))

skygirl1968 said:
LOL...nice!

I work for an airline based out of DEN that recently transitioned to an all Airbus fleet. We fly 318/319 and will soon be getting 320's...there were previously a few 737's in the fleet. The pilots, mechanics, and engineers all seem to like the Airbus products a lot better (yes, I did some asking around). Biggest thing that the pilots mentioned was that they liked not having to do differences training.

(personally, I like looking out the window and seeing the little animals painted on the winglets :))
Those Frontier 737-200's were junk, anything new and plush looks better than those. Just give it a few years, they'll be like the old L1011's, with all their fancy, but maintenance deferred equipment.

Junkflyer said:

There are a bunch of 15-20+ year old airbi flying around:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?...P&photo_nr=13&prev_id=1041608&next_id=1036378

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?...b_vq QRFP&photo_nr=1&prev_id=&next_id=1063967

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?...FP&photo_nr=2&prev_id=1063540&next_id=1062433

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?...P&photo_nr=26&prev_id=1049514&next_id=1049092

For 1/3 the price of a Boeing product, is a 20+ year disposable airplane bad?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back