• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airbus or Boeing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People talk of how important your quality of life is in this business. Well, that holds true while your AT work to. As far as creature comforts go, you just can't beat the bus. Most comfortable "office" I've ever had the pleasure of working in.:)

I've flown the Bus, Boeing and douglas and I prefer Douglas, Boeing then the Bus. There is simply not enough tactile feed back in the Bus to keep pilots in the loop; plus it just feels too "Mickey Mouse" like a Barbie Jet. The gear handle looks and feels like a lolly pop sticking out of the panel, the reverse thrust levers feel like two small plastic tabs you pull to pop open a can of soda. The whole plane just feels counter intuitive, built by engineers without much input from pilots. There's not even an over head reading light. Let's not mention the forward lav just aft of the cockpit. Anyone who's flown the Bus knows about the ventilation design of the lav; you're reminded each time after someone pinches a loaf...pew, you smell it in the cockpit. The brakes overheat 90% of the time after the roll out. Everytime we put on the brake fans I feel like I'm turning on a pair of blow dryers to cool Barbie's wheels. The best design feature on the Bus in my personal opinion are the foot rests that drop down half way.
I'm curious as to how I would feel if I flew the Bus first before Boeing or Douglas.

MVSW said:
Airbus or Boeing??? Pro's and Con's from you guys that fly them??

Having flown 320, 737 and MD80

My opinions are.....

Quality of construction.............Boeing
Simplicity............................Boeing
Hand Flying .........................Douglas (Big a/c feel and easy to be smooth)
Comfort..............................Airbus
Cockpit...............................Airbus
Automation..........................Airbus
Easiest to Land......................Boeing (By far)
Most Quiet...........................Douglas (By far)
Coolest lookin.......................Boeing (By far)

Bottom Line: out of the three a/c i have flown....for a short hop i would take a 737 all day long! for any other type of flying it would have to be the airbus due to the comfortable and ergonomically efficient flight deck. a transcon flight in a bus is a non event.

Chronic Jetlag said:
The brakes overheat 90% of the time after the roll out. Everytime we put on the brake fans I feel like I'm turning on a pair of blow dryers to cool Barbie's wheels.

The brakes on the 73 would to......if it could tell you what your brake temp is. Instead of it having the ability to show you the brake temp the 73 has those brake cooling tables in the flight manual. I'd bet those brake temps on the 73 are over 300 C more than you think.

D-Bo

olympus593 said:
Airbus Vs Boeing? In another few years it's going to be ERJ Vs CRJ...

But instead of the thread comparing which one is better, the thread will be asking which one is worse.

Bus s*cks, automation, comfort wise (compared to 757) and all those little operational quirks. Just because it hasn't done anything uncommanded to you just means it hasn't done it yet. Pull and reset cb's is a daily operation. Had a brake temp guage in the 80 and I think I saw it over 300 deg. once. Again an every day occurence on the bus. Latest buffoonery: R and L aileron faults on liftoff resulting in flight controls reverting to alternate law. 10 MD80's or 737's could fly the schedule it takes 15 busses to fly.

The acronym I used during training for the Bus to help me memorize systems was: **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**!

D...Direct law
A...Alternate law
M...Mechanical law
N...Normal law

Pun intended!

yaks said:
R and L aileron faults on liftoff resulting in flight controls reverting to alternate law. 10 MD80's or 737's could fly the schedule it takes 15 busses to fly.

That's forked up. Never heard of that one happening. I know I may have sounded like a Bus salesman in this thread but in that situation you can look at it like this. In alternate law you still had more protections than you did in the 80 or the 73. Again, the protections shouldn't come into play as long as the airplane is operated in it's flight envelope but even with the failure you got you were still fine in alternate law.

I admit I haven't been on the Bus long enough to get a lot of the computer glitches you have seen. Maybe my opinion will change a year from now.

D-Bo

Latest resources

Back