• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Wisconsin military friendly?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, they do hire military pilots & crewmembers.

In my experience, AWAC is very friendly to Guard/Reserve types. I Simply submitted the drill schedule to Crew Sked and it was listed as an absence on my schedule...no fuss or explanations.

I am sure they do. But why wouldnt you try to get on with FedEx, UPS, CAL or Delta instead?

Military guys don't fly as much as the civilians do (they may only fly 300 hours a year in some cases), so he might not have the hours yet. I know my roomate is a C-130 guy and he doesn't have a more than 1500 hours I believe.

on another note XJT is also military friendly. We do have something in either our contract of FOM that says you can only be gone on mil leave for like 5 years total while you are employed. I think a presidential activation is not counted, but may be wrong. Thats alot of drill weekends. Does anybody else have any kind of time limits like we do?

Thanks for the reply. I would love to apply to Fedex, ups, SW etc. but I might not even have the 1000 turbine Pic when I get out. Usually single seat fighter guys have no problem getting the 1000 hr pic reqt, however, I (much like a C-130 guy) must log many non PIC hours before we upgrade to PIC. And once we do, like the previous post said, we don't fly awhole lot or may get non-flying orders. I will be extremely lucky if I get the 1000 hr pic, but very well may not. (FYI, I only flew 240 hours last year)

I was also wondering if regionals like the military guys? I know they hire many with only 600/100.

Thanks for the reply. I would love to apply to Fedex, ups, SW etc. but I might not even have the 1000 turbine Pic when I get out. Usually single seat fighter guys have no problem getting the 1000 hr pic reqt, however, I (much like a C-130 guy) must log many non PIC hours before we upgrade to PIC. And once we do, like the previous post said, we don't fly awhole lot or may get non-flying orders. I will be extremely lucky if I get the 1000 hr pic, but very well may not. (FYI, I only flew 240 hours last year)

I was also wondering if regionals like the military guys? I know they hire many with only 600/100.

I don't know of any off the top of my head that dis-like miltary guys. You are protected by law, so they can't refuse employement or fire you for your involvement inthe military. I know Comair is very good about it, though we aren't the most stable place at the moment.

I was in the AF Reserves (enlisted) when I got hired at SkyWest and the interviewer looked upon it very favorably. Getting time off is easy, just fax a leave request to my chief pilot and a few days later a scheduler calls to ask where I want to leave my trip

I can second SkyWest for being great with mil leave. They were great when I worked on the ramp as well.

on another note XJT is also military friendly. We do have something in either our contract of FOM that says you can only be gone on mil leave for like 5 years total while you are employed. I think a presidential activation is not counted, but may be wrong. Thats alot of drill weekends. Does anybody else have any kind of time limits like we do?

everyone does. Its not a product of your CBA, its Federal law. Its called USERRA.

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994

USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights to five years (the previous law provided four years of active duty, plus an additional year if it was for the convenience of the Government). There are important exceptions to the five-year limit, including initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA clearly establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual's service as long as the basic eligibility criteria are met.

Latest resources

Back