• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AIR TRANSPORT of the CAROLINAS (FLO)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if it is a resurrection of the old Carolina Air Transport (from Lincoln County, NC) or if the name is a coincidence?

In 1999 & 2000 when I was hauling checks in the Mid-Atlantic there was a nice FBO and a few business type aircraft in Florence. I was waiting for the courier one day when the now long gone "Air Museum" was being dismantled and someone managed to set the grass on fire!

Kind of pissed me off, they were cutting up some kind of righteous old radial powered airplane when they started the fire...

Last edited:
Not sure if it is a resurrection of some other company,but I did find out a few things,they have NO ops manual,no mgrs as outlined in PT 119,so no proficiency checks in previous 6 mos,no approved maint program, no training program,violating ALL of PT 135,no oversight by anyone except a guy who works out of Charleston with a title of VP of Air Ops,but he has NO aeronautical experience of any kind,does not hold an FAA airman certificate!!!!!
This is a disaster waiting to happen!!!!!!! Someone will get KILLED in this operation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

There is a cutout for one man part 135 ops, or at least there was and all of the things you point out may have been purchased and the FAA is nesting on them. Now if they are in the process of trying to move from one classification to another that might explain things. Or maybe they aren't up and running yet and that is why they are looking to fill the CP spot...

There are lot's of CEO's skimming the cream off the top of the gross revenue of many airlines who had no previous aviation experience...

There is a cutout for one man part 135 ops, or at least there was and all of the things you point out may have been purchased and the FAA is nesting on them. Now if they are in the process of trying to move from one classification to another that might explain things. Or maybe they aren't up and running yet and that is why they are looking to fill the CP spot...

There are lot's of CEO's skimming the cream off the top of the gross revenue of many airlines who had no previous aviation experience...

According to their website,the company was purchased in 2018,and then moved from CRE to FLO!!! They have a guy listed as Dir.of Maint who is an "avionics tech",unsure if he has a "A&P certificate".They show 2 aircraft,both PA-31 Chieftains that are 1977 models(40yrs old),and they are doing charters as we speak.
PT 119 says they must have a Dir of Ops,Chief Pilot,and Dir.of Maint. that the controlling FSDO(CAE),must approve,however,the CAE FSDO has another "bad operator" in CAE,Bankair, from the 1960's,which has a deadly record of killing 20 plus people,many of them pilots,they also DO NOT rate a PT 135 certificate,but they have had one for all of these years,and the reason was a "political payoff",to the late Sen E. Hollings,who greased the track for them!!!!! One wonders if the same thing is going on currently at Air Transport of the Carolina's at FLO!!!!!!!!

Regardless, more management does not make flying safer. In fact it is frequently the case that FAA mandated management is the problem rather than the solution. I don't know much about Bank Air but I have worked with a couple of guys who had done time at a certain Convair operator and lived to tell about it...

You want to explain to me how a couple of Navahogs can support that much management?

It can't be done and there are a hell of a lot of dead and gone 135 certificates to prove it!

Don't know how 2 PA-31's can support all that mgmt,not even if they flew a charter trip everyday 4-5 days/week!!! My guess is they are not supporting things,financially anyway!!!!
The CP position is still open as of 3 days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back