• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran pilot job fair in MKE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok. I understand that, but wouldn't they be a step in the right direction? There a a lot of commuters that would be happy to see the virtual bases.

True, but the company won't do it because it will make commuters happy, it is beneficial to them. Time for the NPA to get something for it. The NPA has given away enough with nothing in return.

A virtual base or a real base outside of ATL is going to reduce the number of lines in ATL. So it only benefits those who commute from the awarded city. I commute to ATL (not from FL) so it wouldn't benefit me directly. On a positive note, virtual bases offer flexibility. The opportunity to see how opening a new base would work and the effect on the airline at minimal cost. I don't understand the nightmare scenario for the pilot with virtual bases. It means you either commute or you don't for particular bid. It suggests you don't move to a virtual base, you already live there. I think the concept is new and therefore misunderstood. I am willing to at least try it and see how it works with two different aircraft types.

Last edited:
The problem is the company can become virtual base happy and start opening virtual base left and right with no obligation toward the pilot group.
In a previous life my airline opened a base in lax to close it 2 months later.a guy drove from fll to lax;no need to say he wasn't a happy camper.

If the NPA approves virtual bases, then my faith in the NPA will be even further reduced.
The company does not need the approval of the NPA to open up any new bases virtual or real. As long as they abide by the contract they can open and close bases at their whim, however that gets real expensive and in an enviornment that every penny counts, it would seem unlikely for them to try and open new bases. Remember the flight attendants just opened a virtual base in TPA along with MCO and rumor is a FA virtual base in BWI soon. That decreases the number of hotel rooms required by three. Thats got to be a substantial savings.

Ok. I understand that, but wouldn't they be a step in the right direction? There a a lot of commuters that would be happy to see the virtual bases.
I'm sure there would be, but those commuters would be much better off with a real base rather than a fake base that can be downsized or eliminated on a whim. If you're patient, MCO and BWI will eventually open up as real bases. It just makes good business sense. But if you cave on virtual bases, then we'll never have anymore real bases, and we'll be stuck with a bunch of fake bases that can be manipulated constantly.

For all the guys that attended the MKE job fair, I saw the new "soon to be interviewed list" down in the crew lounge today, and there's about 30-40 names that are listed as coming from the job fair. Almost all are from Skyway, but a few are from other carriers. Seems like lots of people are ending up with interviews as a result of the job fair. Glad to hear that we're giving so many Skyway pilots a shot.

The problem is the company can become virtual base happy and start opening virtual base left and right with no obligation toward the pilot group.
In a previous life my airline opened a base in lax to close it 2 months later.a guy drove from fll to lax;no need to say he wasn't a happy camper.

If the LOA for virtual bases is written properly, I would imagine virtual bases could be beneficial to both the pilots and company. I don't think our new union leadership with MB as president would give the company excessive room to wiggle in the LOA. As for our last union president, well, his record speaks for itself.

Is that last sentence OK or is MB's 3 month cheese and wine period over yet?

a virtual base could work as long as there are restrictions and or penalties for the company to close the base ie. tdy pay 24/7 for displaced pilots or some other type of monetary reward for the pilots and penalty for the company.

If the LOA for virtual bases is written properly, I would imagine virtual bases could be beneficial to both the pilots and company. I don't think our new union leadership with MB as president would give the company excessive room to wiggle in the LOA. As for our last union president, well, his record speaks for itself.

Is that last sentence OK or is MB's 3 month cheese and wine period over yet?

We should get to vote on any LOA of this magnitude.

For all the guys that attended the MKE job fair, I saw the new "soon to be interviewed list" down in the crew lounge today, and there's about 30-40 names that are listed as coming from the job fair. Almost all are from Skyway, but a few are from other carriers. Seems like lots of people are ending up with interviews as a result of the job fair. Glad to hear that we're giving so many Skyway pilots a shot.

Yep, that is good to see. The best of luck to the Skyway folks.

Latest resources

Back