Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran or Flexjet? (Also posted on the frac board)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't be confused. Not a dig at fractional guys. Thicken up the skin. I commute in on the first day of my trip and am home on the last day of my trip. Riding in the back of an airplane to and from work is commuting the same whether the company buys the ticket or not...

No, it's not the same thing at all. Really.

An airline pilot commuting to work, even if it's at no cost to him, is still responsible for being at the airplane at the appointed time. If he's bumped off the flight, it diverts, or is late, it's the pilot's problem. He's the one subject to disciplinary action at many companies because he blew his commute.

A fractional guy reports to work at his designated airport, and from that point on, he's on duty for the company. There may be a plane for him to pick up right there, or he may be getting on an airline flight to go meet one. In the latter case, it's the company's responsibility to get him to the plane at that point. If the flight cancels, or oversells, or is late, it's the company's problem to deal with.

Similarly, it's the company's responsibility to get him back to his home airport at the end of his tour. If they don't, for whatever reason, he's still at work and being paid until he gets home. I've made a lot of money off airline delays and cancellations this year. US Airways' shameful handling of the ice storm in March made me nearly $900, because that was the day I was supposed to get home.

For an airline guy, it's the difference between commuting to work, and being deadheaded on company time to an assignment while on duty. There's a big difference there.

If he's bumped off the flight, it diverts, or is late, it's the pilot's problem. He's the one subject to disciplinary action at many companies because he blew his commute.

Most 121 pilot contracts (not my airline) have a no-fault commuter clause. Typically, if you get bumped off a certain number of flights or if the flight cancels or diverts you will not be subject to any disciplinary action.

No, it's not the same thing at all. Really.There's a big difference there.

Well, I've been doing this gig for more than 20 years and I haven't missed a commute, so I guess its a big deal to you but, really, its not a big deal to me.

If you go to flex, you will be on the first flight out of Den going to Ewr or Dal and than fly all day. On your last day you will be on the last flight out of Ewr or Dal getting home at about 1100 pm. No quality of life no way of changing your schedule no sick time first year. bad insurance and floating rest. Attrition at Flex is at an all time high. Most are going to 121. Pay is low if you want to go frac you have to go to Netjets.

If you go to flex, you will be on the first flight out of Den going to Ewr or Dal and than fly all day. On your last day you will be on the last flight out of Ewr or Dal getting home at about 1100 pm. No quality of life no way of changing your schedule no sick time first year. bad insurance and floating rest. Attrition at Flex is at an all time high. Most are going to 121. Pay is low if you want to go frac you have to go to Netjets.

Disregard this guy, Flexjet is one of the best fractionals the problem is that they're a follower when it comes to pay and work rules. They'll probably never be as good as Netjets but who knows. Flex in my opinion is better than any 121 lcc, certainly better than airtran and it's not true that most are leaving for other airlines. Most at flex are lifers with only a few leaving for Southwest.

CA1900 hit the nail right on the head. I've done both types of "commuting" and it is a million times better having them buy you a ticket and being on their time. Karma Police is correct with regards to most airlines but what he failed to mention is if you do not make it in for your trip because of your inability to get there, you lose the pay for what you miss...at most places that is. Good luck in your decision.

i've know a guy that left Colgan for Flex Jet and regretted it. I have only heard negative about Flex Jet. Though this was almost 2 years ago.

Well, I've been doing this gig for more than 20 years and I haven't missed a commute, so I guess its a big deal to you but, really, its not a big deal to me.

Wow. You're either really lucky, or have a really easy commute. I only commuted for a little over five years, and I had to use the commuter clause at least half a dozen times. I used it twice during one December because of the holiday travel rush.

Most 121 pilot contracts (not my airline) have a no-fault commuter clause. Typically, if you get bumped off a certain number of flights or if the flight cancels or diverts you will not be subject to any disciplinary action.

What airline you work for, missing a flight at fredex is the same as reporting for the firing squad. guess who gets the blind fold.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back