• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran Bid: Is it closed? Results?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is hard to feel for people who now complain about things that they once prayed for. For years many AAI pilots wanted to be bought by a company that would not treat them like crap and would not have to walk the picket line on. Now that reality is here, it is interesting to see people see the hardship in thier prayers coming true.

No disagreement here.

I am glad, however, that it was SWA and not Skywest (or Republic!), which I was afraid might happen. Now, THAT would have really sucked, and I try to remember that, while this isn't perfect, things could have worked out a whole lot worse.

No disagreement here.

I am glad, however, that it was SWA and not Skywest (or Republic!), which I was afraid might happen. Now, THAT would have really sucked, and I try to remember that, while this isn't perfect, things could have worked out a whole lot worse.

One of your better posts Ty. :beer:

The 717 pilots will transfer to the B Scale Southwest contract before the vast majority in 2013. They will have the same health starting in 12 days and be under the same SWAPA contract (B Scale) well before you. You're not even close in 2012 and 2013 has a big "?" next to it.

So are the AT guys who come over with higher pay (longevity bump) for their seniority position on an A plus scale?

No.

Neither is there a SWAPA B scale for those on the 717, it's the AT pay scale that fades out as the transition is made, grow up.

For us not in the know, what do you mean about the training plans ?
The training plan does several things that surprised people. First, and foremost, they're taking more planes than pilots initially, and using most of the year to transition many people over to the 717 on the AirTran side of the partition. (only 168 pilots TOTAL will transition to SWA next year and they're taking 22 planes out of service by mid-Dec 2012).

Secondly, that will trigger a reduction in flying (and therefore, pay), on the AirTran side sooner than was expected. Most people will be close to guarantee by the end of 2012. (I'm thankful we were able to get an increase in guarantee negotiated into the agreement).

Lastly, it appears to draw out the transition longer and leave the 737's on the AirTran side longer, operating more international flying using code-share to connect SWA passengers to AirTran international flying. It's rumored that there's hiccups in the new reservations system that are pushing that delay, but it means a much slower transition for the 737 pilots (except MCO and MKE pilots since they're eliminating that 737 flying in 2012).

So, in essence, many people bid 737 because they heard those planes were going first and wanted to get to SWA and your TFP rates sooner than later. Unfortunately, it looks like that will be significantly delayed for ATL-based 737 pilots, by up to a year in some cases over what was previously anticipated and discussed.

Just a bit of a shock for those expecting a faster transition of our 737 pilots to SWA... Surprised me, too.

Last edited:
So are the AT guys who come over with higher pay (longevity bump) for their seniority position on an A plus scale?

No.

Neither is there a SWAPA B scale for those on the 717, it's the AT pay scale that fades out as the transition is made, grow up.

Dear Mr Vader,

It's a B Scale, and it's a SWAPA B Scale. It's in the SWAPA contract and it's a lower payrate that only affects (former AirTran) SWAPA 717 pilots. I'll grow up and you can be man enough to 'call a spade a spade'. ;)

You should be concerned that there is a B Scale at your airline. You've been around long enough to know when the camels nose is under the tent.

I would say its not a b scale until you have two pilots flying the same aircraft at the same airline for different rates of pay. Under the current situation, the only way that will happen is if NO AirTran guys chose to upgrade to 717 CA prior to 2015 leaving a vacancy to RSW pilots. The odds of having a RSW captain on a 717 are virtually nill until 2015. After 2015, the pays rate is at parity.

The training plan does several things that surprised people. First, and foremost, they're taking more planes than pilots initially, and using most of the year to transition many people over to the 717 on the AirTran side of the partition. (only 168 pilots TOTAL will transition to SWA next year and they're taking 22 planes out of service by mid-Dec 2012).

Secondly, that will trigger a reduction in flying (and therefore, pay), on the AirTran side sooner than was expected. Most people will be close to guarantee by the end of 2012. (I'm thankful we were able to get an increase in guarantee negotiated into the agreement).

Lastly, it appears to draw out the transition longer and leave the 737's on the AirTran side longer, operating more international flying using code-share to connect SWA passengers to AirTran international flying. It's rumored that there's hiccups in the new reservations system that are pushing that delay, but it means a much slower transition for the 737 pilots (except MCO and MKE pilots since they're eliminating that 737 flying in 2012).

So, in essence, many people bid 737 because they heard those planes were going first and wanted to get to SWA and your TFP rates sooner than later. Unfortunately, it looks like that will be significantly delayed for ATL-based 737 pilots, by up to a year in some cases over what was previously anticipated and discussed.

Just a bit of a shock for those expecting a faster transition of our 737 pilots to SWA... Surprised me, too.

Actually, this is somewhat of a surprise and shock to pilots on the Southwest side as well. We too, were expecting the 737s to come over first; in fact I'm almost sure that at one point, I read that the first 717 wasn't transistioning until sometime in 2013. Now it's almost backwards. Everyone over here was anticipating that, because it's the 737 transitions that help SWA guys: Airtran 737 guys coming over with planes trigger upgrades and upward movement for SWA guys. Plus, Airtran-to-737 guys would get under our pay scale sooner. I suppose that's as close to a win-win as possible under our agreement. Not a putdown, but it seems that the transitioning of the 717s first doesn't help the paychecks of either pilot group.

In addition to the rumored problems with the new reservation system that Lear reported (slowing 737 transistion to SWA for int'l travel), I wonder if saving money in salary isn't at least partially responsible. Southwest 717s bringing in SWA revenue (while paying Airtran salaries) would seem to help the company's bottom line. Obviously some 737s are coming over in 2012, but not at the speed and ratio that we all thought. Looks like GK is trying to save a buck or two here as well.

Bubba

Any speculation on how many will bypass class? All info prior to the closing said 717 guys going over SW 73 in late 2012 - 2013. Hopefully a few (30 or more) want to stay on 717 a little longer.

You can never go wrong blaming the IT department at SWA. I am sure it has to do with International reservation system. Sorry guys, we were hoping for more 737 transitions sooner too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back