• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran Bid: Is it closed? Results?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For us not in the know, what do you mean about the training plans ?

Are you familiar with the term "expectation management"? Well I had prepared myself to go to SWA as an FO sooner rather than later. There will be no ATL based 737 captains going to SWA in 2012. As a Dallas commuter I bid to try to get to DAL as soon as possible. I got burned. I will probably see substancial reserve time as result. If I had know this ahead of time I would have bid 717 Captain to stay off reserve. I'm just very bad at predicting these things and it's frustrating.

Are you familiar with the term "expectation management"? Well I had prepared myself to go to SWA as an FO sooner rather than later. There will be no ATL based 737 captains going to SWA in 2012. As a Dallas commuter I bid to try to get to DAL as soon as possible. I got burned. I will probably see substancial reserve time as result. If I had know this ahead of time I would have bid 717 Captain to stay off reserve. I'm just very bad at predicting these things and it's frustrating.

I see why they did it that way (to cover the vacancies as 717 pilots transition to 737).

Unfortunately, it torpedoes my fiendish plan to hang out on the 737 for a while, doing Int'l . D'Oh! :bawling:

You're the guy that always ends up drinking the cup at the end of the party from what I have heard.:laugh: Come out Ty!

You are one sick chick, Undercrud. And, in regards to your PM, no, I am not going to go camping with you. :puke:

I'm a mid-level to junior 717 CA and I bid 737 FO. Everyone's motivations are different but my observations and motivations are below:

First off, there are really two reasons pilots in my seniority range bid 717 CA. Either they have deep ties to ATL and didn't want to move/commute. Or they wanted the guaranteed pay raise in 2015. Ironically many pilots won't be able to hold ATL in 2014 when Tampa starts filling up. It's also ironic that if these rumors of an ATL 737 base are true (and contradict everything told to our MC by SW management), folks who didn't bid the 73 because they didn't want to move/commute will likely be doing just that on the 71. Meanwhile they could have had much better seniority in that ATL base as a 73 FO.

Now, my motivations for giving up my CA seat:

- higher pay as 73 FO (107 TFP vs 85hrs/mo)
- more days off (avg 17 vs 15)
- significantly more pay if I have 15 days off at SW
- better seniority/bidding power in EVERY SW base vs what I currently hold as CA, and it will improve over time
- if I stayed a CA my seniority falls from 67% to 81% in ATL (either on reserve or just off reserve with terrible QOL for as long as I am in 717)
- when Tampa opens in 2014, I will be commuting there or will have to move (I'd rather move now with more choices to live)
- better health insurance for my family much sooner
- paid LOL insurance much sooner
- better contract
- much better scheduling and scheduling flexibility
- if 717s leave "much earlier" as SW says it is trying to negotiate with Boeing, I could lose my seat before or shortly after 2015 pay raise (after missing out on all of the above benefit gains)

I may be forgoing the pay raise in 2015. However, my faith and my family/QOL comes first in my life. Money has never been the most important thing to me. That's why I wasn't willing to sell my seniority. I will have to sell/rent my ATL home and move to another domicile. But I think that was inevitable if I stayed on 71 and the timing would have been worse for my family in 2-3 yrs. And as the military has taught me, home is where ever my family is - long term commuting is a no go for me. Quite frankly given all the benefits of going to the 73 I'm amazed more CA's didn't chose it. Everyone had different reasons for choosing the way they did and I know it will work out for everyone. I'm not happy with the SLI nor that we were forced to choose between two bad choices but I also think that as time goes on we will all benefit from this experience and all our careers will be better than had this merger not occurred. Fly Safe.

Thanks for explaining your thought process and decision, AFCitrus. Different motivations and reasons for different people. I hope things work out for you exactly as you thought, and that you throroughly enjoy your time at Southwest. Happy holidays.

Bubba

Last edited:
I'm a mid-level to junior 717 CA and I bid 737 FO. Everyone's motivations are different but my observations and motivations are below:

First off, there are really two reasons pilots in my seniority range bid 717 CA. Either they have deep ties to ATL and didn't want to move/commute. Or they wanted the guaranteed pay raise in 2015. Ironically many pilots won't be able to hold ATL in 2014 when Tampa starts filling up. It's also ironic that if these rumors of an ATL 737 base are true (and contradict everything told to our MC by SW management), folks who didn't bid the 73 because they didn't want to move/commute will likely be doing just that on the 71. Meanwhile they could have had much better seniority in that ATL base as a 73 FO.

- higher pay as 73 FO (107 TFP vs 85hrs/mo) Tell us in 2 years
- more days off (avg 17 vs 15) See above
- significantly more pay if I have 15 days off at SW Significant ? Your guarantee to do absolutely no flying is around $ 150 K a year.
- better seniority/bidding power in EVERY SW base vs what I currently hold as CA, and it will improve over time tell us in 2 years
- if I stayed a CA my seniority falls from 67% to 81% in ATL (either on reserve or just off reserve with terrible QOL for as long as I am in 717) You're not going anywhere
- when Tampa opens in 2014, I will be commuting there or will have to move (I'd rather move now with more choices to live)
- better health insurance for my family much sooner Everybody gets it in 12 days.
- better contract
- much better scheduling and scheduling flexibility Same people will schedule both fleets after 2013 under the mighty SWAPA contract. You'll still be on the AirTran side.
- if 717s leave "much earlier" as SW says it is trying to negotiate with Boeing, I could lose my seat before or shortly after 2015 pay raise (after missing out on all of the above benefit gains) True, but AirTran ALPA said it wouldn't happen :erm:

I may be forgoing the pay raise in 2015. However, my faith and my family/QOL comes first in my life. Money has never been the most important thing to me. That's why I wasn't willing to sell my seniority. I will have to sell/rent my ATL home and move to another domicile. But I think that was inevitable if I stayed on 71 and the timing would have been worse for my family in 2-3 yrs. And as the military has taught me, home is where ever my family is - long term commuting is a no go for me. Quite frankly given all the benefits of going to the 73 I'm amazed more CA's didn't chose it. Everyone had different reasons for choosing the way they did and I know it will work out for everyone. I'm not happy with the SLI nor that we were forced to choose between two bad choices but I also think that as time goes on we will all benefit from this experience and all our careers will be better than had this merger not occurred. Fly Safe.

Nice essay. Your plan was sound based upon what you were told.

The 717 pilots will transfer to the B Scale Southwest contract before the vast majority in 2013. They will have the same health starting in 12 days and be under the same SWAPA contract (B Scale) well before you. You're not even close in 2012 and 2013 has a big "?" next to it.

Look at your seniority and then look at the transition schedule. You'll be flying an AirTran 737 while the 717 guys transfer to the SWAPA B Scale. SWA 737 went junior for a reason.

I'd offer you some lubricant, but it seems you've bought your own. Glove up.

Last edited:

- higher pay as 73 FO (107 TFP vs 85hrs/mo)
- more days off (avg 17 vs 15)
- significantly more pay if I have 15 days off at SW
- better seniority/bidding power in EVERY SW base vs what I currently hold as CA, and it will improve over time
- if I stayed a CA my seniority falls from 67% to 81% in ATL (either on reserve or just off reserve with terrible QOL for as long as I am in 717)
- better health insurance for my family much sooner
- better contract
- much better scheduling and scheduling flexibility
- if 717s leave "much earlier" as SW says it is trying to negotiate with Boeing, I could lose my seat before or shortly after 2015 pay raise (after missing out on all of the above benefit gains)

In the interest of full disclosure ..... I missed the tiny detail that you were coming from the 717. Oops. Most of it applies, except your extended stay on the 737.

I am the victim of multiple red eyes. Mea Culpa. ;)

It is hard to feel for people who now complain about things that they once prayed for. For years many AAI pilots wanted to be bought by a company that would not treat them like crap and would not have to walk the picket line on. Now that reality is here, it is interesting to see people see the hardship in thier prayers coming true.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back