Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Traffic Controllers AVG $160,000 / Yr.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say the DOL figures were pretty close. Can you make $160,000/yr? Sure, if you're at one of the busiest facilities, working 6 day weeks, every weekend, and most Holidays. The FAA likes to throw out these figures so folks think we all making a killing. Believe them like you believe Airline pilots average $240,000/yr and fly 3 days a week. The FAA's figures often include management salaries, OT, weekend, night, Holiday pay etc. I've got 24 yrs in, and my base pay is $102k. Most folks I work with make $10k less.
All that said, even when I started circa 1980, FAA was paying almost 50% more to start than co-pilot on a BE-99. :rolleyes:

Why do ya think I took this gig?:cool:

ATR Driver

All I was saying is that we are always tuned up and listening to where the next guy is on the profile in order to have situational awareness as to whats around us including obstructions. Lets not get bent up...Nobody likes that..

Its a Tall Work Order with everything else were doing...

Focus said:
All I was saying is that we are always tuned up and listening to where the next guy is on the profile in order to have situational awareness as to whats around us including obstructions. Lets not get bent up...Nobody likes that..

Its a Tall Work Order with everything else were doing...
Agree completely, situational awareness is priority, my point was that not having anyone do something rash. Aggravating a situation like that could be bad.

Have a good holiday!

Supposed compensation aside, is there any truth to this rumor about the FAA ramping up hiring of controllers? Can anyone provide a source? My wife is trained as a controller through the reserves, but has not been able to do anything with it on the civilian side yet. I would love to have a sugar momma...

Josh M

ATC-Stressful, and after an accident, they have the additional stress of testifying at a hearing.
Pilot-Stressful, and after an accident, their families are rich!

Yeah, that explains it.

The big "F"

ultrarunner said:
They got a better union

Here's a quiz for ya: What's the "F" in FAA stand for?

FEDERAL!

They, like the TSA (most of whom make more than first year regional pay), will have job security, guaranteed raises, COLA and a lovely retirement. All at the expense of our taxes.

While there's nothing wrong with them making a living, it sure doesn't seem right that their starting salaries are 4x higher than a that of the guy sitting in the right seat wondering why the vector they're on is taking them away from the field.

We need a raise.

Is there still an age cutoff to be a controller?

Those boys and gals do amazing work.

Antiquated equipment, high stress.

If they make good dough, more power to then!

Latest resources

Back