Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Traffic Controllers AVG $160,000 / Yr.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Focus

This was a News Alert....The Govt is in a massive hiring wave of ATC Controllers as of TODAY>>>>Whats up with ATC averaging $160,000 Mean Income across the board compared to Pilot sallaries which continue to decrease on a quarterly basis?????? I concur that being an Air Traffic Controller is a very highly strenuous positon in our field, but wouldn't you think that sitting in the seat is more demanding.....????

Perhaps, we should all be paid by the Federal Goverment with the same pension plans as our counterparts in ATC??? Just thinking out loud.... This is ludicrous...When will enough be enough....

FlyDog, and Ty,,,,,we can go back a few years to a discussion on _________' but now I just want to finish out my career for the next 15 years without having to implement my Flexibility & Maneuvaring Policy which seems to be running out as I age... Yes Guys, Its been along time since Ive posted on the board but I have always been watching this forum from afar. Good Ole USA IM BACK

Last edited:
As someone who has done both, here is how I look at it. Right now I am responsible for 1 airplane and the x-amount of bodies in it. When I was a Controller, during a busy push I could have 10 or 15 airplanes I was responsible for. You do the math. In SLC we had to 'thread the needle' in the mountains where the MVA 4 miles east of the airport was 9000. In some areas the MVA was 140. We had the radar fail one time during a very busy push. Right then you had to know EXACTLY where your plane were, what there altitude was, what direction they were going. All by instant memory recall. And then, without a nanoseconds thought, knowing what to do and when. We had six positions open when it happend, and with in a very short time it was down to me and the guy next to me, and a bunch of people standing behind us manning the overhead console. Scary? Think about it. Mountains, IMC. When I announced on the radio that the radar had failed and standby for instructions, let me tell you there was no, 'say again', or 'who was that for' from any of them.
Before 9/11 we had pilots from all the carriers visit the TRACON and every time came away with amazement.
Yeah, they earn it. Every day.

Would you rather have disgruntled ATC workers facing the same crap pilots do? If they do their demanding job well, pay them well for it.

I'm glad someone is making a living in aviation and the controllers sure earn it in ATL. The idea of getting 20 years and a pension is really appealing too. Where do I sign up?

I Know ATC DESERVES It, But What about US???

Think about it....When the Radar goes down??? Thats pretty scary...Especially if you dont know where you are on the profile......Start C"limbinggggggg, and try to remember who else the controller was talkin with. What A nightmare..

I am not saying that controllers dont deserve to be paid commensurate with the services they provide.... They should probably be paid more.... Ive been to TRACONS and its CRAZY how overworked and underpaid these professionals are.

Thats my point. Why are pilots salaries diminishing at such an alarming amount when we are the guy's & gals out there actually controlling the aircrafts every movement....???? I didn't mean to offend ATC but I guess my post was not detailed enough. For that I apologize.

Earnings

Median annual earnings of air traffic controllers in 2002 were $91,600. The middle 50 percent earned between $65,480 and $112,550. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $46,410, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $131,610.

The average annual salary, excluding overtime earnings, for air traffic controllers in the Federal Government—which employs 90 percent of the total—in nonsupervisory, supervisory, and managerial positions was $95,700 in 2002. Both the worker’s job responsibilities and the complexity of the particular facility determine a controller’s pay. For example, controllers who work at the FAA’s busiest air traffic control facilities earn higher pay.

Depending on length of service, air traffic controllers receive 13 to 26 days of paid vacation and 13 days of paid sick leave each year, life insurance, and health benefits. In addition, controllers can retire at an earlier age and with fewer years of service than other Federal employees. Air traffic controllers are eligible to retire at age 50 with 20 years of service as an active air traffic controller or after 25 years of active service at any age. There is a mandatory retirement age of 56 for controllers who manage air traffic. However, Federal law provides for exemptions to the mandatory age of 56, up to age 61, for controllers having exceptional skills and experienc
Source: U.S. Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos108.htm

Controllers also work many different shifts during the week, there is no really 'set' schedule. Very demanding on the body. Most of the guys I know that work in the towers make about $60k/yr. The contract tower guys make even less money. You make about $35k right out of training and then get a raise about 3-6 months later (can't remember) to the tune of $40-45k. Then wherever you're based (say DEN center vs. Podunk, ID) your pay is based on that with yearly rasises. Honestly, pilots have a much better lifestyle...

I can't see pay increasing 168% in the last two years. If it has, jesus - they're making a killing!

~wheelsup

Last edited:
So I would say from reading your post that it is as stressful as they say. Is it worth it? How is the quality of life? How does the system work once you've passed your training? Would you have to relocate or could you stay where you are?

Sorry for all the questions but my fiancee is interested and I wanted to find some information. I'm a little nervous about recommending it to her though. She has a very sexy irish accent and I don't want all us cheeseball pilots getting hardons to my future wife's voice.

Thanks

Thats what I get for believing a pop up New Article

I logged on to my computer and it had a new announcement today that ATC Controllers were being hired and the average income of Controllers was $160,000.

Perhaps the author of the article made a mistake. I could hardly believe it hence my post.. thanks for clearing it up...

Bottom Line, Enough is Enough....Its time to stand firm.

Focus said:
Think about it....When the Radar goes down??? Thats pretty scary...Especially if you dont know where you are on the profile......Start C"limbinggggggg, and try to remember who else the controller was talkin with. What A nightmare..

I am not saying that controllers dont deserve to be paid commensurate with the services they provide.... They should probably be paid more.... Ive been to TRACONS and its CRAZY how overworked and underpaid these professionals are.

Thats my point. Why are pilots salaries diminishing at such an alarming amount when we are the guy's & gals out there actually controlling the aircrafts every movement....???? I didn't mean to offend ATC but I guess my post was not detailed enough. For that I apologize.
NO!! IF you are under radar control and just arbitrarily start climbing or doing your own thing, you are going to hit another airplane or something else. If you are trying to remember who the controller was talking with, then you are NOT paying attention to what is happening on the radio. It is amazing how many 'pro' pilots listen to the radio when THEY think they should. How many times have you heard "XYZ242, how do you hear me?" The next thing is either "who are you calling" or "Was that for XYZ242?" ESPECIALLY in the terminal environment. If you are talking to approach coming in to land, there should be NO reason to be having your attention diverted by listening or chatting on 'company' unless there is an emergency and even then they should already have been contacted on the way in alot further out. NOT when you are in the downwind.
I brief my F/O's that after we get the inrange call and gate assignment, we turn #2 down so there is no chance of being distracted. Until you are on the ground, across all active runways and on a taxiway. Then tell them we are on the ground. If it means a gate change and having to go to ramp 4 instead of 3 fine, but we did not miss any radio calls from approach or final. I can't count the number of times I was following someone on downwind who was off in radio la-la land and we were turned in and cleared for approach while they continued downwind.

FOCUS,
The numbers given are an average. Check out wheelsup's post. That is it pretty much.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back