• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force vs. Navy flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Navy vs air force? That is like choosing between a musical and a ballet. No matter which one you choose you are still gay.

Just remember that there are only 3 branches of the military (4 if you include the Corps).

The Salvation Army, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or Coast Guard..or any other group like that does not count. ;)

Hell even the CAP is more military than coasties.....

Really? That was the best you could come up with? You really are gay. Especially since I served as a pilot in one of the "3 branches" as well as the CG so your dig doesn't even make sense. Get a new writer.

You may believe the CAP is more military than us Coasties but at least we aren't gay.

Last edited:
If you are seriously considering joining the Navy hoping to fly, realize that approx. 50% of Navy pilots are Helicopter pilots. If you are a good stick and study in primary, you should be able to get fixed wing: P3s, E6s, E2/C2, or Fighters. However, you never know. One week, there may only be helo slots available. Another week, you may get lucky and there may be a couple fighter slots open. Its kind of a crapshoot.

Not sure how the air force works, but I know for a fact that the AF has very few helos and you most likely would not fly a Helo in the AF.

If you are deadset on flying fighters only, and don't care to land on moving deck at night the size of what looks like a postage stamp, look into joining an Air National Guard fighter unit.

-SW

P.S. Landing on the boat is pretty cool.

unless you're in the Coast Guard....then you should be able to avoid fixed-wing...

Very true SIG, except I've never worn a scarf and I will never iron my flight suit!!

He's referring to AF TacAir.

Tanker guys wear worn out flight suits with pizza cheese grease stains and flip flops.

Last edited:
If you are seriously considering joining the Navy hoping to fly, realize that approx. 50% of Navy pilots are Helicopter pilots. If you are a good stick and study in primary, you should be able to get fixed wing: P3s, E6s, E2/C2, or Fighters. However, you never know. One week, there may only be helo slots available. Another week, you may get lucky and there may be a couple fighter slots open. Its kind of a crapshoot.

Not sure how the air force works, but I know for a fact that the AF has very few helos and you most likely would not fly a Helo in the AF.

If you are deadset on flying fighters only, and don't care to land on moving deck at night the size of what looks like a postage stamp, look into joining an Air National Guard fighter unit.

-SW

The problem with that aurgument is that the AF is only going to have a handful fo F-22s and F-35s when the dust settles on the budget fight, especially if Gates sticks around for another year. Then AF helos will outnumber their tacair fixed wing stuff.

Really? That was the best you could come up with? You really are gay. Especially since I served as a pilot in one of the "3 branches" as well as the CG so your dig doesn't even make sense. Get a new writer.

You may believe the CAP is more military than us Coasties but at least we aren't gay.

You need some thicker skin...I guess you missed the smiley at the end of what I said.

Relax....and have a good Veterans Day!

-SW

True to an extent. As long as you're not a ****************************** and can shut up and color (fly the way they tell you, and never EVER say "in my civilian days") you'll smoke primary, and they will find/make a spot for you in TACAIR.

Edit: Seriously? Dou-che is a bad word? WTF? Is this board full of pilots or pu$$ies.

Jungle jett,

I realize it was all in good fun. So was mine. I hope you have a good vets day as well. I also hope you can come up with better comebacks in the future.

I have nothing but respect for my fellow military members.

I do have to apologize though. So to all gay people reading this, I am sorry I compared you to AF and Navy pilots. That was below the belt.

Last edited:
unless you're in the Coast Guard....then you should be able to avoid fixed-wing...

In all honesty, that is not true anymore. we are currently 100 fixed wing pilots short and only 50 rotary wing pilots short. Due to our acqusition of the Casa and our need to fill up a bunch of rotary billets last year.

Your chances of flying fixed wing out of flight school are pretty good right now. In fact, many who wanted nothing more than to fly rescue helicopters are stuck flying falcon jets and C-130s with no real chance to fly helicopters in their CG careers.

Latest resources

Back