• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force official rapped after nuclear flyover

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoa. Are those 5 nuclear warheads in your BUFF or are you just happy to see me?

When I flew BUFFs, weapon movements were a huge deal...meaning everyone in the maintanence and SF leadership chain knew about it before the "stealheader" moved. Granted, there are checks in place all the way down to the weapons preflight by the navs and pilots. And yes, it sucks being the Sq/CC and the crew, but I would also expect AMMO (or whoever's responsible for loading) to help me catch something like this. That's what they do...that's their frickin' job.
Now...how many of you mud movers are going to take the extra ten minutes to double (and triple) check to make sure your BDU-XX is really filled with concrete?

All this fuss and no one rings in about all the nuclear waste that is transported over our "safe" rail systems across the country. I don't think the actual "flight" of the nukes was the problem-- the problem was the accountability of nukes that weren't suppose to be where they were...

Yeah that was a really big deal..I use to work in weapons load at the 116th Georgia Air National Guard down at Robins, AFB when we flew the B-1B...I just got back from drill down there last weekend and thats all ppl were talking about..

i really dont even see how there can be a mistake in the loading process myself, live munitions are marked with a yellow band and BDU 50' (dummies ) are usually marked with a blue band..this of course in on convientional weapons..i have no experience with nukes...loaded a B61 silver bullet nuke I think in tech school for certification, but that was it..they had to think that it was okay or signed off by a higher up..there is no mistaking nukes for anything in my opinion.

Real Nukes were painted with the famous picture of Slim Pickens going "Rodeo" during his final scene in Dr Strangelove....just to differentiate them from the training types.

According to an MSNBC article I read, the cruise missiles mounted were presumed to be dearmed. Had someone looked into a small plexiglass window, he would have seen a silver warhead instead of whatever color is used for the dummy warhead. They evidently didn't. Further, the crew member that checked the weapons evidently only checked the right wing (loaded with dummies) but not the left wing (loaded with nukes). [Another right-wing conspiracy???]

So, no one has any issues with:

The plane was carrying Advanced Cruise Missiles from Minot Air Force Base, N.D, to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., on Aug. 30, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of a Defense Department policy not to confirm information on nuclear weapons., or

No public acknowledgement was made until service members leaked the story to the Military Times, which published a brief account Sept. 5. (from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20926465/page/3/)

Why did they go public, this incident wasn't being covered up, KBAD officials alerted the appropriate authorities as soon as they realized what had happened. Now we have military personnel associated with nuclear materials who have decided that they can discern which classification and OPSEC/COMSEC rules apply to them. But I am sure we can count on them to hold the really important information close. We need 2 investigations taking place here - why it happened, and who went to the press.

Last edited:
What do you mean? I went to the Academy and I don't get what you're trying to say. Something funny? Ironic? What? Are you trying to say "raped?" That's the only thing I can think you're trying to say...but that would be stupid, since nothing like that really happened. Is that what you're getting at? Are we talking about nuclear weapons? Do you have an understanding of how the USAF goes about tracking munitions?

Your post went over my cranium....guess that's what I get for being a caveman fighter pilot.

MAGNUM!!

You need to ask the two fat chicks in Co Springs you bragged about nailing.

Latest resources

Back