• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force official rapped after nuclear flyover

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do you mean? I went to the Academy and I don't get what you're trying to say. Something funny? Ironic? What? Are you trying to say "raped?" That's the only thing I can think you're trying to say...but that would be stupid, since nothing like that really happened. Is that what you're getting at? Are we talking about nuclear weapons? Do you have an understanding of how the USAF goes about tracking munitions?

Your post went over my cranium....guess that's what I get for being a caveman fighter pilot.

Lighten up, Francis. The reference was to a video that a zoomie secretly made of his roommate (who thought that he was all alone in his room) doing a rap dance. I did a quick search and couldn't find the link.
Anyway, it was pretty funny.

Your issue then is with Don Shepperd, a retired Air Force major general and military analyst for CNN who made the statement "U.S. had agreed in a Cold War-era treaty not to fly nuclear weapons".

Here's his bio:
http://www.ngb.army.mil/ngbgomo/library/bio/shepperd_dw.html

He's definitely NOT the best source for nuclear weapons handling or treaties. I know which part he is referring to, but that does not apply to nuclear weapons movements.

Let's keep this at the unclassified level. The US routinely moves nuclear weapons by a variety of methods, including via air. You'll have to take my word for this, because I'm not going to go any further than that - it's part of my job to know stuff like that. Perhaps a decent google search would have given you more insight in this matter. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/rtf/454005x.rtf Paragraph 4.6.

This entire incident (loss of control of multiple nuclear weapons) is shocking, but doesn't surprise me. Since SAC went away and ACC took over control of nukes, they have been extremely poor stewards of this responsibility. This incident is the result of the lax attitude displayed by ACC's chain of command. There should be a LOT of people fired over this incident, including a good number at Langley.

Latest resources

Back