Air Attack/Tanker, Helo Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
If backgrounds are to be considered, an ag background is probably best, airline and military the worst. One company for whom I flew, although staffed in management by former military, staunchly refused to even entertain anyone with an airline or military background because of the extremely poor track record of those who had come and gone before. No slight...but not one I ever met made it very far in the tanker world. Most didn't want to get their hands dirty, couldn't make the commitment, didn't want to work, and when it came to flying slow and close to terrain under the conditions required in limited performance aircraft, felt it was too dangerous or beneath them. A few exceptions exist, but not many.

Conversely, coming from tankers to an airline environment...many employers look unfavorably on a tanker past. Unjustifiably, the image of the tanker pilot has been one of a cowboy, despite a very professional community getting the job done.

Airline pilots make good tanker pilots. Several companies have had good success with them. You can find prima donnas in virtually every facet of aviation. Yes, former ag pilots are good tanker pilots.But for some their IFR skills are poor to non-existent and many have VFR only type ratings so when you have to fly that P-2V, P-3,DC-7 ,etc., several hundred miles away in IFR conditions it'll be very helpful to have an airline or military pilot on board. They're a known quantity.

A tanker pilot without any good IFR skills wouldn't make it past the first sim session at any airline. That's why airlines shy away from them.

Lack of flying ability has nothing to do with it, weather it be VFR or IFR skills.

It's purely a perception issue, with respect to tanker pilots going elsewhere. For those who have elected to move to other areas (such as airline), I don't personally know any that weren't hired if that was their goal. But that isn't really the point, nor the question that was asked.

The poster asked what background might best prepare someone to find employment in the tanker industry...the only one that comes close is ag work, and that's far from any gaurantee. At the opposite end of the spectrum, the worst backgrounds to come from for one who seeks employment in tankers is airline and military. It's not nearly so much a skill issue as a willingness to work issue.

Last edited:
Through the grapevine, I've heard of warbird jocks being offered jobs flying tankers. This was pre-Kern of course, but from a layman's perspective with absolutley no tanker experience it seems like it makes perfect sense. Exceptional warbird pilots that do their own maintenence would seem to be perfect canidates because they already know the old radial beasts in and out-at least the two that I refer to do. But that doesn't help me much considering I'm about 499 grand short of buying a Mitchell. So, I'm going to have to find my way in the old fashioned way........by earning it.

An Airline pilot would'nt make it past the first fire or two. Been proven....

Shall I go on?????

You do not know from wich you speak, so STFU!!!

This is not a work on your own airplane warbird club anymore. Don't be fooled. Airline skills mean jack sh!t, and 80% of our fatalities are Military pilots.

No disrespect. Just a flying unlike anything else. Period

Probably the biggest issue there isn't the skills, but the willingness to work. We don't see that from certain expeience-backgrounds. Face it, if you were told you have to hand wash your boeing every night before you leave the airport, fly it without air conditioning, and fly it into the conditions that we do, for an indefinite period with little time off, no stability, and that you'll be living out of the back of the airplane for the next five or ten months with five to fifteen minutes notice at any time to go fly, how excited would you be? If it's a radial powered airplane, you'll get dirty, burned, cut, poked with safety wire, and while the days of flying all day and turning wrenches all night are gone, you'll still be carrying tools and getting dirty. Ever spent the evening or morning scrubbing thick burned-on oil and retardant off of a DC-4 or C-130, then hand polishing and/or waxing it yourself?

Try it some time, and then you'll start to get an understanding of why those who live a shirt-and-tie have-everyone-else-do-the-work-for-you background isn't really conducive to flying an air tanker. No slight on anybody, but it's the truth.

Warbird experience isn't much of a shoe-in, and won't help someone upgrade any faster. Especially with the limited movement in the industry.

Yes, former ag pilots are good tanker pilots.But for some their IFR skills are poor to non-existent and many have VFR only type ratings so when you have to fly that P-2V, P-3,DC-7 ,etc., several hundred miles away in IFR conditions it'll be very helpful to have an airline or military pilot on board. They're a known quantity.

I don't know where you came up with that, but one couldn't get carded for fire if that were true. VFR-only? Not hardly. Part of every season began in a simulator for me, and part of training was always instrument work. VFR-only in low vis in smoke and haze? Not hardly. My first tanker type ride was a very solid IFR ride to ATP standards (engine-out circling, etc), as well as on the job working demonstrations with drops, emergencies on the drops, and so forth.

Very solid VFR skills are an absolute must, and tankers seldom operate under IFR...except for very long empty repositioning flights. However, I can't recall ever being on a tanker dispatch where having an airline pilot on board would have been of any benifit in any way, shape, or form. Thanks for the chuckle.

Last edited:
DC4boy said:
On duty here in beautiful Fresno. Been comfortably busy..

Fly safe

Ah...Fresburg. If I see any Tanker looking dudes at the Subway across the street, I'll buy.

I was in Fresno for about three months on a fire, once. But fresno is always sort of an "I spent three months there, one day," sort of place. It was a long three months. Just before we got sent somewhere else, I had a day off, and rode the bicycle I kept in the airplane to a shooting range across town. On the way back in the dark I was standing on the pedals going through a light when the chain came off and I came off with it when my foot slipped. I went through the frame, the wheel bent, and I did a face plant in the intersection. A car from the right tried to press the light and ended up stopped with it's bumper over me. Not a soul stopped to do more than stare briefly, and as I couldn't get up, I dragged myself and the bike clear of the intersection to the sidewalk.

I was unable to ride the bike, and had to carry it the remaining three miles back to the tanker base, in a considerable amount of pain. What annoyed me most, however, was the indignance that the drivers there held out in the intersection, acting quite put out that they were being delayed by someone injured in the intersection. Honking, yelling, and pushing forward with a fair amount of disregard, I had the distinct impression they'd have probably run over me if I hadn't dragged myself clear, quick enough.

DC4boy said:
An Airline pilot would'nt make it past the first fire or two. Been proven....

Shall I go on?????

You do not know from wich you speak, so STFU!!!

There are lots of airline pilots flying tankers. And they do a good job.

Latest resources

Back