• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age to 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not aware that NJA has a procedure set in stone for dealing with aging pilots who may be deteriorating. Having said that, I do know several of the older guys here recently have had to do some sort of "cognitive evaluation" by a professional to assess their capability to continue flying.

Whether or not a procedure is set in stone, do you guys have a way to report someone who may need an evaluation done? By saying this, I don't mean trying to bust the guy's (or gal's) chops, but with the level of liability involved, there should be a way to say something. What if you guys could report it to the union for them to track? If the union had 10 reports from 10 different members on the same person, they could go to the company and request the evaluation (or whatever it is that needs to be done). Again it shouldn't be about getting someone in trouble, it's about safety for everyone including the "geezer". After all, if anyone reading this post turns 70, can't see that your mental ability is deteriorating / slowing down, and can't handle the job, wouldn't you want someone to pull you out of the seat in your best interest?

SG

Last edited:
I hear ya. It's not unlike the double standard BS in supplemental O2 requirements between 135 and 121 just because of the Payne Stewart crash. What? 121 pilots have a longer useful consciousness than 135 pilots? Give me a break!

Care to expand on this requirement as I think I know where your going.

Whether or not a procedure is set in stone, do you guys have a way to report someone who may need an evaluation done? By saying this, I don't mean trying to bust the guy's (or gal's) chops, but with the level of liability involved, there should be a way to say something. What if you guys could report it to the union for them to track? If the union had 10 reports from 10 different members on the same person, they could go to the company and request the evaluation (or whatever it is that needs to be done). Again it shouldn't be about getting someone in trouble, it's about safety for everyone including the "geezer". After all, if anyone reading this post turns 70, can't see that your mental ability is deteriorating / slowing down, and can't handle the job, wouldn't you want someone to pull you out of the seat in your best interest?

SG

Yes. It's called the Pro Standards Committee. They are there to do exactly what you suggested. They track reports on pilots, and when they have enough (don't know how many that is) they will approach the pilot tactfully (I hope) about whatever the problem is, and go to the company too if necessary.

Yes. It's called the Pro Standards Committee. They are there to do exactly what you suggested. They track reports on pilots, and when they have enough (don't know how many that is) they will approach the pilot tactfully (I hope) about whatever the problem is, and go to the company too if necessary.

I hope it is used by those who have posted they fly with potentially unsafe, older pilots who don't quite have the touch anymore.

SG

The Riddle Ace will panic and start touching stuff. The elderly gent will smile placidly, thank you for pointing out his error, finish his tapioca pudding, put his dentures back in, fly the ILS like he's on rails, and tell you about a time something similar happened except he was being shot at and in an inverted spin.

I say this as a guy in exactly the wrong age demographic to profit from increasing the mandatory retirement age...I'll more than likely languish in cargo for another five years thanks to age 65. But age and experience will always win out over youth and skill. Gimme a graybeard any day of the week. Any mandatory retirement age was always ludicrous and political. The fact that some of us will suffer because of the change in rules is neither here nor there. It's the right thing to do. And if you don't think a PC is sufficient test of one's abilities, maybe you haven't done one lately?

Riight

The Riddle Ace will panic and start touching stuff. The elderly gent will smile placidly, thank you for pointing out his error, finish his tapioca pudding, put his dentures back in, fly the ILS like he's on rails, and tell you about a time something similar happened except he was being shot at and in an inverted spin.

What bizzaro universe do you come from? I've seen both...Elmer Fudd and Chuck Yeager. I don't know how many retired pilots have been passed up in the interview process that crashed on the v1 cut.... even when they know its coming.

We do have something in place to deal with this....it's called a check ride. When they can't pass it, they are out.

What bizzaro universe do you come from? I've seen both...Elmer Fudd and Chuck Yeager. I don't know how many retired pilots have been passed up in the interview process that crashed on the v1 cut.... even when they know its coming.

We do have something in place to deal with this....it's called a check ride. When they can't pass it, they are out.

I have probably seen more V1 cuts in a sim than your likely to see in the rest of your career. Believe me there is no room for either group to point. Age or youth don't seem to have much to do with this event.

My point to the previous poster is that age has nothing to do with performance. Saying that a young guy is going to panic has as much merit as saying the older guy will sail right through any problems. You are right, age has nothing to do with it. However, no amount of experince will make up for lack of skills...be it from lack of flight time or deterioration of skills over time.

What's a "stortie?"

It's a combination story and sortie. Generally this high adventure occurs when a FOD (F'n Old Dude as opposed to FNG) is recalling an entertaining war story and fails to recall his last ATC clearance/altitude assigned/heading assigned/aircraft configuration requested/memory item/or current wife's first name at an inopportune moment.

Seriously though, the checkrides should weed out those who can't cut it anymore. I've flown with a few FOD's who are quite the best pilots I've ever known while being great teachers. Then again, I've had more than my fair share of storties too.

My point to the previous poster is that age has nothing to do with performance. Saying that a young guy is going to panic has as much merit as saying the older guy will sail right through any problems. You are right, age has nothing to do with it. However, no amount of experince will make up for lack of skills...be it from lack of flight time or deterioration of skills over time.

Ah yes, we finally agree!

Latest resources

Back