Age Sixxty Five

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NETJETS Pilots should vote on the Age 65 rule and make it part of the CBA

It would never be put to a vote if were limited to the restrictions of collective bargaining. That little obstruction called Duty of Fair Representation and all. No one has a choice if legislated by Congress.

How one group can be labeled as unsafe due to number of operations while others flying under the same rules are not is blatantly discriminatory. The odds of Congress not including every single Part 91/91K/135 operator is not good. This treasure hunt by Netjets management could very well hit not only Netjets, but everyone else.

Age 65 for all professional pilots

I can certainly get on board with this as well !!!

Finally a win for our generation that was mostly left out of the good jobs in the industry.

Union would never let this get to a vote because they know most of us would vote to HAVE an age 65 rule !

Last edited:
Age 65 for all professional pilots

I can certainly get on board with this as well !!!

Finally a win for our generation that was mostly left out of the good jobs in the industry.

Union would never let this get to a vote because they know most of us would vote to HAVE an age 65 rule !

I disagree, I’m 40 and I don’t wanna be hamstrung later in life by restricting potential earnings. I will plan to be done by 65 or sooner, however the mear issue with not getting full social security retirement until 67 is a huge health insurance issue. (Assuming it’s still there, and I ain’t counting on it). I have seen many a person that was conservative with their money and not living outside their means and life happens. If 65 goes through it initially is a benefit to younger guys, but down the road, we may all regret its implementation.

I'll agree with the age 65 rule when we also start legislating fatness. There are some serious porkers out there.

I'd rather fly with a fit 70 year old than a fat a$$ 50 year old any day of the week.

I disagree, I’m 40 and I don’t wanna be hamstrung later in life by restricting potential earnings. I will plan to be done by 65 or sooner, however the mear issue with not getting full social security retirement until 67 is a huge health insurance issue. (Assuming it’s still there, and I ain’t counting on it). I have seen many a person that was conservative with their money and not living outside their means and life happens. If 65 goes through it initially is a benefit to younger guys, but down the road, we may all regret its implementation.

If you are 40 and aren’t at a major already you have been hamstrung by the system and your income potential is already reduced.

If you are 40 and aren’t at a major already you have been hamstrung by the system and your income potential is already reduced.

More of the not commuting thing that will impact the income potential. The non-121 thing is by choice, have never put an app in to a 121 carrier since I was a CFI. I realize the top end money is more at airlines, there is no doubt. However commuting, furloughs, crashpads, airport cars etc is a pain in the arse.

Last edited:
I’m going to assume that opportunities were not there to get into the top echelon of 121 Jobs until recently. Unfortunately and to no fault of anyone in this generation.

The proposed age limit has been bumped to 70 now. It's a separate amendment to the FAA bill by Rep. Gibbs (R-OH). Management offered a deal to the Union that if the union would endorse and lobby for age 70 the company would drop support for age 65. After consulting lawyers the Union accepted. If it gets thru the process in this form the final vote probably won't happen until late summer. And there's a 1 year implementation period, so late summer/early fall 2019 the over age 70 pilots at NJA will get the boot. A lot still could happen thou.

Age 70 now

Why don’t they make up their minds? :smash:

And why doesn’t njasap use this as a negotiating tool ?

or is this just another Company/Union love session like 2015 was?

Age 70 now

Why don’t they make up their minds? :smash:

And why doesn’t njasap use this as a negotiating tool ?

or is this just another Company/Union love session like 2015 was?

They can't use potential legislation as a contract negotiating tool, that's illegal.

I think the company needed 70 because age 65 would cost too many pilots and they'd be unable to cover the schedule. Down the road there's a big retirement surge coming at NJA just like the 3 majors have now. But the age 70 doesn't save nearly as much money on MLOA pilots as 65 would have. Or it could be the age 65 was in trouble and they needed age 70 and union PAC support to get anything done.

I still think it's total BS the way this is targeted to affect just 1 company. Should apply to all turbojet 135.

Latest resources

Back