• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 67?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
everyone will be a gummer someday and they will want to work as long as possible

It's harder for me now at 37 than it was at 32 when I started. I won't make it until 60, let alone past that.

everyone will be a gummer someday and they will want to work as long as possible

I never wanted to fly past 60, but I'm going to have to, to make up the difference in my 401k caused by the current gummers.

Maybe if the current gummers ever retire, and I get to upgrade, I can show my FO's pictures of all my Corvettes, just like they like to show us future gummers now.

I'll even explain to the FO how Age 90 is really a good thing, and "they'll get it back on the top end...."

Those are always your words Yip. Part of your distractions. But what I didn't need was to change the regs to achieve anything. I certainly hope and work to be financially independent well before 60. I'd suggest that for every pilot. It's a different job when you know you don't need it.
That said, I would love to fly forever. I love flying. I love airline flying. I simply don't believe it's right or physiologically prudent for any pilot to be a captain after 60. I'd choose to continue on as an FO, but I don't have the ego tied to my flying career that many do. And as I age, I'd give away a ton of flying- flying when it suits me- punching out if it ever doesnt. -that would be ideal for me.
What I know is I won't be good at knowing when to hang it up. I will believe with every breath that I can do this- if I can't, I'd believe it's just temporary. I can guarantee you I will NEED someone to force me to give up flying.
To not admit that is naive.

Last edited:
So if they had come out with a retirement age of 70 back in 1958, then you'd say no pilot should be CA after 70.

Why isn't there a mandatory retirement age for drivers, when the risk of an accident is many times higher in a car than in the regulated and disciplined environment of airline flying.

So if they had come out with a retirement age of 70 back in 1958, then you'd say no pilot should be CA after 70.

Why isn't there a mandatory retirement age for drivers, when the risk of an accident is many times higher in a car than in the regulated and disciplined environment of airline flying.

You see no increased responsibility in carrying hundreds of passengers for money in jet aircraft than driving a car? You would be the only one. That's the wrong side of the auto analogy

Besides- we live longer today than in the 60's , but 60 is still a LOT younger than 70- most with common sense would agree. Everything is not subjective.

You see no increased responsibility in carrying hundreds of passengers for money in jet aircraft than driving a car? You would be the only one. That's the wrong side of the auto analogy

Besides- we live longer today than in the 60's , but 60 is still a LOT younger than 70- most with common sense would agree. Everything is not subjective.

Somebody with six ex-wives and eight more cars than he needs is unlikely to have common sense as his strong suit.

I could be wrong.

Common sense appears to be the missing link

An elderly driver can self-regulate the time of day and road conditions they drive in.

A better analogy would be commercial drivers.

Also, a driver (even a commercial one) can pull over and stop.

You gotta stop flip flopping on this issue. Either the retirement age is subjective and related directly to safety or it's objective and related to making vacancies for F/O's.

And you can feign a lack of understanding, but you know full well that the connection to elderly drivers and pilots would be the lack of any legal limit on age should the age limit be abolished. There are maybe 50,000 total airline pilots in the country while there are 10 million or more drivers over age 65, so the total potential for loss of life is on the side of the drivers who have no legal limit on the age. The difference seems to lie with the pilot being part of a seniority system which limits the upward mobility of its members to 1)attrition and 2)growth.

No, if you want to enhance safety, you need to raise the standards for ALL pilots in the areas of performance and medical standards and accept that the results may not necessarily come without unintended consequences.

Latest resources

Back