Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 right around corner... 15 year upgrades at SWA!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still needs to be attached to the Spending Bill that the president said he will veto. Correct?

Not sure!

The Presidential threat of veto was on a previous versions of Transportation Appropriations bills. I don't know how he feels about the latest version that came out of conference committee and was passed by the House.

No, it doesn't need to be attached. One version is, but this one is a stand alone measure and identical to the included provisions of the other bill. I think it has a greater chance of passage as part of an appripriations bill since that has to be passed eventually. There is no nationally recognized need for the stand-alone version to pass.

So is this Bill political cover for the members of the house if the other bill which is included in the Omnibus legislation is vetoed by W.?

Last edited:
My relply to [email protected] after receiving their gloating announcement regarding the events on the Hill:

Capt Prater,

This legislation and the pro-ALPA stance that accompanies it does not reflect the views of this member, nor of the majority of the ALPA membership. Simply, the will of the majority was hijacked by the over-50 minority, who well served their self-interests by changing the rules every time a vote by members yielded a result that did not suit their desires.

Happy Holidays while the majority of the membership prays this thing dies in the Senate, and best wishes to the American Airlines APA, a union not afraid to stand up for what their majority believes.

You heard wrong. Oberstar's language doesn't allow for increased medical standards. Still a POS bill, however.

True, but nothing in the bill will stop increased medical standards for us all in the future. That's how they will get around it. It will soon be harder to make it to 60, and management will point to the increased costs of the actuarials this will effect. It will cost airlines more, so there will have to be some *ahem* "cost neutral" way to account for that going forward.

Translation: Anyone under 50 will be forced to work until they are 65 in order to make the same pay and retirement they would have made by 60 now. For guys on the verge of 60 now though, its a free ride in the bonus round. Who cares if someone medicals out after 60. Until the next round of contracts takes this into account that is.

At least Oil is cheap, all furloughs are recalled and we're starting to see a bull market on wall street. :erm:

ALPA sold their young down the river... what did you expect? Sympathy? Sorry junior... a few more years in the right seat, less contribution to your retirement plan... but smile, you can now work longer!

Thank you Captain Prater!

This is like everything ALPA ever does, that is, worry about the most senior membership. I have been with ALPA for 13 years and every contract ever passed always is about senior pilots and what they want. F#ck us junior guys, as they are so apt too say.

The real tragedy for us at CAL is that many of our senior pilots are scabs, who have no life, care for no one else but themselves, and have no incentive to leave our company regardless of their financial situation. More transatlantic flights with overflowing sh*tters.....

I realize that there are those who have a legitimate need to work due to the industry disaster after 9-11 ( I was furloughed by AA 5 years ago..and counting) but for those of us at CAL, it will make for more cockpit misery.

Like our management didn't do a good enough job of that on their own.

Last edited:
My Dad used to call ALPA "The Captains union". Nothing has changed since the old days, except Prater and the top echelon will get to enjoy their exorbitant and outrageous ALPA salaries for another 5 years.

Time to dump ALPA.

Latest resources

Back